1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Restitution

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by ktn4eg, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

[NOTE: If this subject is already archived, I'd appreciate knowing about it.]

I'm wondering if God's Word has anything specific with regard to restitution, namely, is there a specific percent of the assessed value somewhere stated to scripture that ought to be included along with the value of an item as restitution if one of God's children borrows said item and through his/her negliegence breaks or destroys this borrowed item?

I was brought up with the concept that if you borrowed something from someone, when it's returned to its owner, that item ought to be at least in as good a condition as it was when its owner lent it to you...AND PREFERABLY BETTER condition. EX: You borrow someone's car, you return that car with a full tank of gas.

Please understand that I'm not posting this to get into some "law vs. grace" debate, but I am interested to know more about this apparently seldom-discussed-today matter.

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Friend;
    Though the exact Scriptural references escape me, I think you are right on track. The principle comes from several places. First, Old Testament.
    Folks were required to pay restitution plus a certain amount. Something like 20% or so.
    Then we have the account of the publican who when visiting with Jesus declared he would restore four-fold to those he defrauded.

I think the concept is truly Biblical for the Church age. We ought to go above and beyond what is expected when we are seeking to correct the offenses we have done against others.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry if I don't have the references for you. For those who would say we are now under Grace, I would counter with: Yes, but often times those we have offended are NOT Christian and do no understand that concept of Grace. But they DO understand when you tell them you love Jesus and He would want you to make the wrong right. And then ask for forgiveness after making it right.

In HIS service;
    Jim

3. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

And remember that grace does not allow us to get out of our debts.