1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Results matter

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I think this is a subject for another thread. I'll only say that true Calvinism, which you figure denotes determinism, has never been anything but a boon to missions. William Carey, the father of modern missions, was a Calvinist, for example.

Some of the people in this world today who are the most mission minded are thoroughgoing Calvinists. David Platt is an example of this.

True Calvinism, I think, is the best motivator in the world for the fulfillment of the Great Commission- it is driven by a passion for God's glory.

But let's not derail this thread. I'll debate that with you if you wish on another thread.

Here, let's discuss whether or not we should be driven by a desire to actually expand the Kingdom or should we simply not care about results.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

He gives the increase only after Paul has planted and Apollos has watered.

So we sow like crazy and we water like crazy.

Of course not. But numbers matter. They ought not be haphazardly dismissed or snuffed at.

We want numbers with substance. I think one's substance is not very substantial though if he does not care about numbers at all.

In a perfect world- which we should be pursuing, right?

It is the essence of the Great Commission. "Go and make disciples OF THE NATIONS baptizing them..."

This question indicates to me that you did not read the op thoroughly.

Again, I commend you to the op.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Very gracious and balanced post. I commend you.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I offer up a thousand amens to this thoughtful post.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I agree.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You are invincibly, unspeakably, immeasurably wrong on this.

I dare say that MOST, the VAST majority of Christians care very little about pushing for results and have adopted the excuse- "I just have to be personally faithful and not worry about results because they are all up to God."

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The things that we do at my home church, Little Martha, is that whatever we do, whether it be singing old songs of Zion, praying for His will to be done, preaching the gospel, etc. is that God gets the glory for any and all results. We, as preachers, can preach God's unadulterated word, and trust that it will accomplish where it pleases Him to send it. It takes a "God tilled" heart to receive the engrafted word. If God has "tilled" the ground, you better believe that a Seed will be planted, and you better expect a harvest. Too many times we sow seed in unprepared ground, and have the audacity to wonder why we haven't seen any results. All we can do is represent Christ the best we know how, witness to the lost, visit those who are in need, feed those who are hungry, etc. IOW, we work by watering and planting the Seed(s), and that which is sown in "rich soil"(God tilled heart), God will bring forth a harvest.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Fist of all we need to come to an agreement on whether or not we should even be seeking to grow.

My "how" is meaningless to you unless you really believe in aggressively pursuing growth.

It would be like me being against the space program altogether and demanding of a NASA scientist to know how we can get back into space.

His explanation is meaningless to me because I don't want us to go back into space- I don't care if we can or can't.

So my question to you is, do you think we ought to be trying to grow or is it that you couldn't care less about trying to grow?

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

We don't know what God is doing in the hearts of men and we should not be seeking to selectively sow only to hearts we perceive are prepared.

The parable of the sower and the seed shows the sower tossing seed everywhere irregardless of whether the ground appeared prepared or not.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

That's what I was saying, you must have misunderstood what I was trying to convey. Sometimes my posts aren't the "clearest", so please forgive me for that. We preach to all, so that God will save some.