1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Retire or Re-fire? Volunteering after retirement

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by dianetavegia, Aug 14, 2005.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Retire or Re-fire?, by Mike Barres

"I am really looking forward to retirement." That is what many people say. They are arranging their finances, planning well, and some even establish a dream home in the location where they want to retire.

Retirement is great. We enjoy the fruit of our labor. John Maxwell, speaking to a group of senior citizens, asked them to consider if they
    might "re-fire" rather than retire.

Those who are retired can be a tremendous asset to the local church and the Kingdom of God. Most in this category today are in good health, have time to offer, and have a steady income. Praise the Lord for retirement.

One thing we need to remember, however, is that we should never retire spiritually! Oswald Chambers put it this way:

The danger of spiritual sluggishness is that we do not wish to be stirred up, all we want to hear about is spiritual retirement. We are not here to develop a spiritual life of our own or to enjoy spiritual retirement; we are here so as to realize Jesus Christ that the Body of Christ may be built up.

The devil never retires.

God never retires.

We should never retire spiritually.

In spiritual race, let's not slow down or retire. Instead, like a runner who races to finish, let's run through the tape at the end of the race.

Even as we grow older, we can grow spiritually every day! Therefore we do not lose heart.
    Let's live to finish like Paul did. At the end of his life, he was able to say,
    ---------
    (c) 2005 Mike Barres <[email protected]>.

My church of 1,300 members is still looking for Sunday School teachers for 3 year olds, 5 year olds and 3rd graders for Sept. I find that VERY sad ..........

2. Link

Link New Member

The irony is that men of retirement age who lived a godly lifestyle were the type of men that the apostles would appoint as overseers to oversee the church.

Nowadays, we send young people to school, let the youngers do the work of elders and then retire them out about the time the turn into elders.

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

A lot of truth in what you say, Link!

4. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I'd love to retire to work with church construction, missionary home building, etc. Friends of ours are retired school teachers and work with Sowers. They do many things with Christian construction.