1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Retiring the KJV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Martin Marprelate, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have and use many translations, but a bone to pick with those that say the KJV is hard to read or that language has changed.

If you have a high school education, it should not be hard to read. If it is, and you have that diploma, you might want to work on some remedial reading. Your comprehension skills and reading ability might just be well below high school level.

Shakespeare is written in the same form of English--don't hear a lot of folks advocating rewriting him to be easier to read.

Use the version you want, for the reasons you feel important.

But hard and non-understandable should not be a reason for someone who can read well enough to finish high school to avoid the version that is most often alluded to in literature.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ah yes, and we have evidence of the one part of this conversation that bothers me the most.

I'd like to see who is denying any of this. Saying something isn't as accurate in its translation as another is one thing. You are taking their (justified imho) criticism of the dated scholarship and language in the KJV (which is a fine translation) and accusing them of them of something they haven't done.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This isn't directed to me but I wanted to use it mention that in my top 10 list of Bible translations I use in study and scholarship the KJV is at the bottom of the list. It isn't that I don't like it, but rather there are better translations for my needs out there. Though I can't think of 20, I certainly can think of eight or nine with better scholarship and wording for the present day. :)

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I work in a college in South Texas and I do not know the percentage but I would wager that over 50% of our freshmen have to take a Developmental Reading/English course upon entry. KJV English is a foreign concept here.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

And therein lies the problem. Instead of educating young people properly, we just dumb down everything they might ever have to read. Pathetic. If it continues this way, eventually we'll have no language at all and we can just grunt at one another.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How do you know they have better scholarship?

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

God did not give us the KJV as a standard for English for all time to come. That just isn't/wasn't the purpose.

The English language has changed and unfortunately the KJV has not kept up with it.

8. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

First, this is not an interesting morsel from the S.B.C. but, it is an article from a sight called the S.B.C. Voices. They also are not an official voice of the Southern Baptist Convention. The OP was very dishonest in the way this post was offered. This is the opinion of the author, Dave Miller, and the S.B.C. Voices say that all articles are only the opinions of the writers.

This blog is not the voice of the Southern Baptist Convention (which, IMHO, it would not agree with this article). The OP evens admits to "standing well back", knowing no good would come from this.

P.S. Why is this poster posting in the Baptist only section?

By the way, I use the KJV but only as a secondary resource. The Holy Spirit has not let me down when I earnestly want to know what He meant when the Word was Authored.

#48 John Toppass, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2011
  9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thank you, but I would prefer you use the 'report post' button as a reminder.

Thread closed accordingly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.