1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Returning Catholics

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by The Biblicist, Jul 14, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My theory about Catholics who converted to Baptists and now returning to Catholicism is:

1. Some are involved in "Baptist" churches by name only where evangelism takes precedence over sound Biblical teaching and such churches are really lacking in dealing with their previous Catholic background.

2. Some are Transients who have never been regenerated by God and still in the wandering mode - 1 Jn. 2:19

Many Southern Baptists congregations are so focused on technique evangelism and getting numbers and so superficial in Bible teaching that there is really nothing there to keep any serious Bible student. I know, because I was a member of a Southern Baptist church for years and attended a Southern Baptist Seminary.

However, those Catholics on this forum who are in transition back to Rome are not OBJECTIVE Bible students and more concerned in solving a philosophical problem and historically naive and deceived than serious about seeking truth.

1. Philosophically they are looking for a sense of unity.

2. Historically they are looking for historic identity

Existing in "Baptist" churches where there is a theological vacuum or at least superficial theological teaching and pressed more by the philosophical and historical concerns, I believe explains their return to Catholicism.

Another factor may well be a complete absence of new birth (1 Jn. 2:19).

One thing is for sure, Neither James 2 or Romans supports the sacramentalistic soteriology of Rome IF those texts are OBJECTIVELY considered. So the motivations back to Rome must be found elsewhere.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also could be 'demonic influences' at work here, as there would be negative forces behind the RCC getting expamded...

Also could be buying into "Mother Church", as superiority/priority to all other churches

Could like idea of "big mother church", to unify the Christians

Could like idea of there being a rigid"one way only" approach to the bible

And can have been "mentally locked into" seeing bible ONLY thru Romes eyes, much as JW/Mormons see the Bible!

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

One of the reasons is lack of sound Bible teaching--not being grounded in the Word of God, and lack of discipleship.

I know of one person who made a profession of faith and was baptized.
    She then (after a time of attending church) got away from the Word.
    Then, she was persuaded to join the J.W.'s. (The greatest number of J.W.'s are former Baptists).
    Fortunately, after a few months she came to her senses, came back to the pastor, got her life right with God, and is now living for the Lord. I believe that she got out of the J.W.'s because she was truly a child of God when she was went in, and she was chastised of God. She was miserable until she got right with God. The most miserable person on earth is a believer outside the will of God.
    Therefore, can a believer sit in a den of iniquity and not be chastened by the Lord or feel comfortable at the same time. I doubt it.