1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Revelation 22:18 "If any man add to these things..."

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by milby, Dec 15, 2010.

1. milby

milby Member

Do you think people who put out bibles like the Adrian Rogers Legacy Bible or John Macarthur study bible are guilty of what Rev. 22:18 warns against?

God has really used Adrian Rogers to speak to me over the years and I would like to get his Legacy Bible but then I got to thinking about Gods warning above.

Thoughts?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

No. In study Bibles, the scripture remains unchanged. There are study notes separate from the scripture.

If you take notes in your Bible are you adding to scripture? If you highlight certain verses, are you adding to scripture? No. It's simply a study aid.

Get your Bible.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe when John (actually the Holy Spirit) said this it was in regards to the book of Revelation only...but the principle still applies to the absolute truth found in Scripture. If study Bible's violate this, then every preacher that preaches is also violating it :)

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A study Bible is a combination of TWO man-made books into one convenient format

A translation of the Word of God
    Notes/cross references/aids/maps et al by the Bible scholar

By having it in one book it makes it much easier for study. I am not having a translation open and a commentary open. It is just one. And not nearly as thorough as a commentary per se. Sort of a condensed/abbreviated edition.

[BTW, reading John MacArthur's notes on Matthew encouraged me to spend the $$ for his four-volume commentary on Matthew. And worth every penny.]

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are my thoughts.

How can this be a reference to scripture in general when it specifically is speaking about the "prophecy of this book". What book? There was no Bible when John the Beloved wrote this prophecy. And it is specifically speaking of the prophecies mentioned. I've never took this to be about the Bible in general.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think you are correct. We are not to add to or take away any part of scripture, not just the Revelation.

From Wycliff's Bible Commentary:

"While in the strict letter the threats of this terrible warning apply to the Revelation, yet inasmuch as this portion of the Book of God is rooted in, interwoven with, and is the completion of all the Word of God, it becomes impossible to tamper with this final book without maltreating what had been given of God before."