1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Revelation about Criminals next to Jesus on the cross!! by baptist pastor...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Sep 13, 2006.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Luke 23 Verses 39-43

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!

40 But the other criminal rebuked him. Don't you fear God, he said, since you are under the same sentence?

41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.

42 Then he said, Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.

43 Jesus answered him, I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.

I was hearing a testimony from a Baptist Pastor and he was preaching a great message. Towards the end of the message he was stating that the Lord gave him a revelation. If you read above, You will see that there was two criminals next to Jesus. This preacher stated that the one on the right, said :

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!

the same way the devil tempted jesus in the dessert: below

Matthew 4

6 If you are the Son of God, he said, throw yourself down. For it is written:

'He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'

The other one stated :
    40 But the other criminal rebuked him. Don't you fear God, he said, since you are under the same sentence?

41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.

42 Then he said, Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.

43 Jesus answered him, I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.

This Pastor stated that the Criminal on the right, it was the devil speaking through him and the one of the left it was adam. Because the one on the left asked Jesus to remember him as he entered into his kingdom and Jesus told him today you will be in paradise !!!

Whats your take on this????

2. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Totally speculative. There is nothing in the bible to back this up.
    I'm always sceptical when somebody comes up with extra revelations....

Satan might have spoken through the one guy but that the other one is supposed to have been Adam seems strange to me.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

My take is there is absolutely nothing in the text that would lead you to believe such a thing. Why not just stick with what the text says?

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Bizarre -- that's a new one to me.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That is a different 'revelation'.

If the revelation came from God, then was God adding to His Word?

If the revealtion did not come from God, then does it matter?

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup:

7. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I agree.

Mark the date. I agree with my brother from texas :thumbsup:

Seriously, this is really, really speculative. There is nothing in the text that suggests this.

8. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

When people claim revelations for themselves, particularly those which are so outside the clear Scriptural text, they are either engaging in the folly of private revelation, which Christian theology has always rejected; or, more likely, they are engaging in manipulation, trying to win people over to their point, but knowing its weakness, pulling in some extra support. It's akin to the old story about the preacher who left his notes on the pulpit, and someone read them later .. seeing in the margin the preacher's instructions to himself: "Weak point, pound the pulpit and yell like crazy!".

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What I'd like to know is - how did Adam speak through the other thief? Is he able to leave heaven, become someone else and speak? I don't see anyplace else in Scripture where someone came back in to the world other than being themselves (thinking Moses and Elijah). I can totally see Satan speaking through the other thief, though.

Ann

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Where can I find scripture that the one on the left is the one who said Lord remember me?

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

My take is that if this were three times 'improved' it might begin to rise to the level of 'bizarre" as another put it.

Ed

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I always thought the one on the right was the one who went to paradise, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know of scripture?

Our Blessed Lord said these words so that we would not be in suspense about the kind of reward He gives to those who are humble. The world hates two kinds of people: those who are too good and those who are too bad. The thief of the left hated Our Blessed Lord because He was too good, and hated the thief on the right because he was too bad. The thief on the left thought only about himself. That is why he commanded Our Blessed Lord, "Save yourself and us." He does not think that he has a beam in his eye.

13. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. No dead men talking in that Bible account.
    #2. No seance with the dead

But other than that - you are on to something - the context is "WHEN you come in your kindgom". The theif is explicitly looking FORWARD to that FUTURE event and so Christ's answer is in that same context. The promise that in that future day - he will be with Christ in Paradise.

OF course we know from John 20 that Christ said "I have NOT YET ascended to My Father" -- He had not YET gone to paradise.

John tells us in Rev that Paradise is where God's throne is.

In Christ,

Bob

#13 BobRyan, Sep 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2006