1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reverend

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Preacher @ Bethel, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Preacher @ Bethel

Preacher @ Bethel New Member

Where did the custom of calling a minister "reverend" come from and do you think it is biblical. The only verse in the bible that I find the word mentioned in is Ps 111:9 "He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name." As far as I can tell God's name is reverend and therefore why would someone want to use that title for someone else?

By His Grace,
    Preacher @ Bethel

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How the custom came into being, I do not know. I try to make it a point, if I do supply pulpit work, to ask to be referred to as "brother" rather than "Rev."

I don't think being called reverend is biblical. It is a term that should be reserved for God.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    An imitation of usage prevalent in the Anglican Church.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I do not like to be called Rev. at all. God is the only Reverend one and that title should be for Him alone.

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You are correct. The use of the term "reverend" is one of the many errors that has crept into the Baptist Churches. Given enough time we will be just like the Roman Catholics.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I do not like to be called Rev. at all. God is the only Reverend one and that title should be for Him alone. </font>[/QUOTE]Ditto, 1303!! I prefer the sir name "Brother" David!

I believe that this is more proper---takeing a look at Acts 9:17 "And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul . . ."

I mean, can you imagine what must've been racin' through Ananias' mind when he said that???

"Brother Saul"------I imagine he must've been thinkin'----"Goodness gracious alive! I can't believe I just called Saul that!!!"

Imagine that??? BROTHER Saul!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

The term "Reverend" probably has it's orgins in respect for the office of Pastor that God has ordained and revered rather than revering the actual person that holds the office. I don't have a problem with the term if understood that way though in reality the term "Reverend" has little meaning with the average person except that it means you are a preacher.

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found sources to be in substantial agreement of the origin of the title "reverend".

E. G. Cook writes, "According to the Oxford Universal Dictionary, the title of 'reverend' was first applied to persons of age and character in 1449. In 1485, the deans in the Catholic Church were given the title of 'Very Reverend' and the bishops were called 'Right Reverend'." Shorter Oxford English Dictionary agrees and states "Protestant clergy didn't start using it until around 1645." I couldn't find an article on it in the Catholic Encyclopedia, but found this article that tells the "proper" way to address different officers - Ecclesiastical Addresses.

The word "reverend" is not a Scriptural name used for either of the two church offices. In addition, Jesus discourages the use of titles (cf. Matthew 23:1-12).

9. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Use it as a noun, no big thing. Use it as an adjective, that's a whole 'nuther tune. There havve been a whole lot of reverends in my family tree, but none of them deserving of revered, reverenced, or venerated. ;)

10. Essene

Essene New Member

Isn't the correct usage "The Reverend", just as "The Christ"

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

There is no correct usage when referring to man!

12. standingfirminChrist

I never took the title of Reverend upon my ordination. I chose to continue with Brother.

Although a few have tagged me as Doctor since 1991, and I never received a doctorate, they still call me Doctor to this day.

Oh well, if ya can't fight 'em... pray for 'em

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

"Revererend" is not a title that I will permit to be applied to me. I'm a "preacher" and I "minister" to others, and I am your "brother" as well.

14. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I prefer to be called Brother for reasons stated by others above. When I pastor, people can call me pastor or brother.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just take the title. It is simply a way that the world acknowledges your occupation. The world can't call you Pastor or Brother, but they can call you Reverend and be truthful about it.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I like brother and reverend about as much as I like to hear chalk squeal on the chalkboard.

17. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not call it what it is: respect of persons, which is specifically forbidden in scripture. We have a form of Roman hiearchy in many modern churches. Not so with those who still maintain a congregational form of church government.

See what Jesus said to a "master" of Israel--Nicodemus, John Ch. 3. "Ye must be born again", not ye must be a right reverend doctor.

Selah,

Bro. James

18. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I am with gb. I dont like Rev and Bro. (Bro. is better than Rev. tho)

19. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Matthew 12:50 tells us who our "brothers" are. Why is there a problem with calling someone brother?

20. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

because around here, only the preacher and deacon are called brother