1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Review of Free Will 2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCassidy, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you questioning me on this? I didn't make up this analogy. Jesus did. He knew people were spiritually dead and yet he said what he said in Lk 5:32

Yes, there are a few different greek words for life.

1. Bios, in Luke 8:14,

2. Psuche, in Matt. 16:25

3. Zoe, in John 1:4

Zoe is the life, love and nature of God.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because the word used in Ephesians 2:1 means physical death. νεκρους (nekrous) is the word used to describe a dead body. When Paul wrote that the Ephesians former spiritual state was "dead in your trespasses and sins" he meant exactly that. He never said they were physically dead, and no Monergist makes that claim. The same word is used in Colossians 2:13. You do not like my take on the word? Strong says of nekrous:

"dead; literally, "what lacks life"; dead; (figuratively) not able to respond to impulses, or perform functions ("unable, ineffective, dead, powerless," L & N, 1, 74.28); unresponsive to life-giving influences (opportunities); inoperative to the things of God."

Using Strong's words the sinner is, "not able to respond to impulses, or perform functions" and "unresponsive to life-giving influences...inoperative to the things of God."

So, a plain normative reading of the text leads to the logical conclusion that the sinner is spiritually dead and "not able to respond" and "inoperative to the things of God".

As I said earlier to @InTheLight , you do not have to agree with the Monergist position (which you clearly do not), but do not expect me to cede to your "faulty way of reasoning".

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because your understanding of scripture is wrong. And get off of your moral high horse, as though no one can question you. This is what debate is all about. We question, we disagree, we present our arguments and counter-arguments. Are you expecting your opponent to bow in your presence and yield the floor to your serum logic? You have a lot to learn.

So, you are saying that that the sinner being out of fellowship with God, is a higher quality of life. There is no higher quality of life outside of being in a right relationship with Jesus Christ. Even most of your Synergist friends agree with that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. I have a busy day ahead of me and will not have time for posting, so I need to bow out of this thread. Have fun, kiddos.

• Like Like x 1
  5. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    explain that

6. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh the irony, lol. I couldn't help but laugh when i read the first sentence here and then read the rest.

7. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All men fell in Adam. If God did nary a thing, all would go to an eternal hell. It was out of all these fallen ppl God chose a # that no man can #, gave them to His Son to redeem from fallen humanity.

Election has to do with saving ppl from condemnation.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry for my part in the derailment of @TCassidy ‘s thread. It’s about the will not election. Again, my apology to @TCassidy.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How? Please explain why you think this.
    I hold faith precedes regeneration. I also hold salvation is wholly the work of God. One believing a truth adds nothing to that truth. A truth is not dependant on it being believed to be true.

10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you understand that?

". . . The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him. . . ." -- Ezekiel 18:20.

". . . Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses . . . ." -- Romans 5:12-

11. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    what is it for then? If one is chosen to be saved , another is not chosen, How is it not choosing one to go to hell "before the foundation of the world"?

12. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    it is a mantra, to reject scripture and establish it is not ones fault, It is a trick of the devil.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another untruth. How utterly sad. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of all the statements i made in my post, that is the one you comment on? Ok, let's state it another way. You believe you were unconditionally born from above, and correct me if i'm wrong, thanks!

15. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I'm sure I have my friend, I'm sure I have..BUT....when I asked why are you questioning me on this it was meant as a figure of speech which as to take you into the truth that Jesus was the one who used the analogy. He knew people were spiritually dead and yet he said what he said in Lk 5:32

Maybe you didn't look up the verse? Here it is from another gospel.

When Jesus heard it, he said unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Mark 2:17

So why not admit that at least on this one point you were wrong? Jesus used the analogy!

No. That's not what I meant. I meant the "fellowship with God" IS the higher quality of life! Why would you ever think I'd come on here arguing for Christian positions and make light of the type of life it is living with God?? Anyways the type of life with zoe, eternal life is the higher type of life and merely having Psuche or Bios isn't.

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, here you go: καθως εξελεξατο ημας εν αυτω προ καταβολης κοσμου ειναι ημας αγιους και αμωμους κατενωπιον αυτου εν αγαπη.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe I met no condition of holiness to merit salvation. God elects us according to the good pleasure of His Will. I do not presume to know the Mind of God. His reasons are His reasons and are far above my understanding. But, yet again, I am not surprised to see my position miss-stated. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is the same word for a Christian service, It is not involuntary servitude

19. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did i insinuate you did?
    So, can you be the elect of God without believing on the Son?

• Like Like x 1
  20. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you also agree, God chooses on His own to not elect some and continue to Hell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.