1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Revival/Evangelistic Campaigns

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When this movement began, revivalists or evangelists would go to a community for a month, holding meetings to stir the saints and convert the sinners.

This was reduced in the 30-40's to 2-week campaigns, and further reduced in the 50-60's to 8-day (Sunday-Sunday) meetings. I grew up with Fall and Spring 8-day meetings in my church.

Then 6-day (Sunday-Friday), then 4-day (Sunday-Wednesday). Now I was offered to speak at a Sunday-Tuesday or Friday-Sunday meeting (I do Bible conferencerevivals on a variety of subjects for believers).

(1) What is the "norm" in your church for length and frequency?

(2) Are these well attended/successful in bringing UNSAVED in?

(3) Is the bulk of the crowd your faithful church folk who are cowed/shamed into coming to have good attendance?

(4) Do you see "revivals/evangelistic meetings" continuing for another generation or slowly dying in your lifetime?

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I love revival's, they re-energize me, they get my spiritual zeal revved up and going.

3. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Our church does not have regular scheduled revival services. I have been here for almost 13 years and we have had 3 scheduled revival services. They were all for the church and not of the evangelistic tone. I preached one, had a pastor friend preach one, and the third I had 5 different pastors bring messages to the Body. I am very cautious as to who I open the pulpit up to. I have seen a man come into a church and in one week cause more damage that took years to fix. It is hard to bring a man in who does not know what the Lord is doing in a specific congregation. When I am away I always have one of the men in our church bring the message. If you train them (disciple them) they can effectively share with the whole Body.

Bro Tony