1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Revival

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jedi Knight, May 14, 2009.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Uh, what follows?

I do think revival is sovereignly poured out by God. I also think that we the people become concerned about the lost, begin to pray for them, pray for a revival of believers, confess sin, it is the result of the moving by the Holy Spirit.

Sometimes revival breaks out before revival breaks out.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

A former pastor many years ago warned our church, "revival can split our church."

By that he meant that many in the congregation will see revival, but others will not, leaving a gap between them. Anybody ever seen that happen in your congregation--half got revived, half didn't?

I suppose the right response is, those who have a new zeal just go ahead to do the work of the ministry, and don't worry about the others.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If there is no follow up then there is nothing more than a spiritual awakening and that is it.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That should happen every time God works. That should occur every time one come to Christ and every time decisions are made. There should never be a sermon without decisions. That should start with God working in the heart of the preacher who is the messenger.

5. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I like James MacDonald's"Walk in the word" definition of revival. "Revival, Experiencing more and more of God at work in my life."

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Your original statement was "Think about what historically followed revival."

I asked what that was because I am too dense to figure it out without guessing.

Maybe you can clarify. Are you suggesting that true revival will have long-term impact, as opposed to a short-lived sparkler that has lots of intensity but doesn't last long?

The First and Second Great Awakenings have widespread and long-term impact They literally changed a nation.

7. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My Pastor told me if something is a true revival it will last. I disagree because I see the shortest revival recorded in 2 Chronicles 15-16 with King Asa.

#27 Jedi Knight, May 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  8. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

That happens all too often.

I've seen revival break out and for the most part the members got all excited. Some stayed on fire and some fizzled out, some even complained about all the excitement. these happenings are just the symptoms.

Everyone doesn't get revived.

In the sense of doing what you know is the will of God despite others failing to join in, yes, but in the sense of not worrying about their lukewarm condition, no.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are right. Some just get harder.