1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Richard Dawson, dead at 79

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Steadfast Fred, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

"He was diagnosed with cancer just like three weeks ago, so it all just kind of happened really quickly. Luckily, he didn't have to go through all the bad treatments and stuff," son Gary explained. "He had a heart attack and went in the hospital. He was actually going in for his first radiation treatment when he had a heart attack."

Daughter Shannon, whose mom Gretchen Johnson was a contestant on "Family Feud" in 1981, said her famous dad had no idea about the cancer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/04/a...n-kissing-host-of-family-feud-dies-at-79.html

2. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Sorry to hear this. I used to love watching him on Hogan's Heroes.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only time he had come to mind recently was when I had MeTV on and Hogan's Heros came on. I never liked that show and I change channels or turn the set off, but usually not before the intro where he is seen. My small town had a CPA who had been a POW in Germany, and he was known to be rather intense in his denouncnements of that farce, especially about the prisoners having their own stove and coffee pot and utensils (items that could be used as weapons of arson and stabbing).

But as for Dawson, I specifically remember one game show where he made the funny (he and many in the audience thought) remark, "I'm an atheist-- thank God!" Well, one way or another, he ain't any more.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

If you hadn't mentioned a couple of shows he was on, I wouldn't have had any idea who he was. His name is not one that automatically brings a face to mind--like John Wayne.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Werner Klemperer (Col Klink) and John Banner (Sgt Schultz) were both German Jews. Robert Clary, was held by the Nazis.

Klemperer refused to play the part, unless the Germans looked dumb.

They have played the program in Germany and the Germans love it. The only major change (other than sub-titles) is that when a German raises his hand and say "Heil, Hitler" it is "transliterated" as "How High is the corn" The reason is that the Nazi party is outlawed in Germany.
    (its about 2/3 of the way down - just before "DVD Release"

Personally, I enjoyed HH, tremendously. In part, the American GI is taught to improvise. I do realize, that about 85% of what they did, would have been impossible - but you try no matter what.