1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Santorum

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Benjamin, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This makes me wonder how different things would have been if Santorum would have been recognised as the winner of Iowa when he won it.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Indeed... I've been saying for a long time that the national media plays a distinct role, and their lack of coverage for Santorum is part of that issue.

Well, he is getting the press today for sure. Now let's see if anyone will get behind him with some $$$. Some of Perry's people, Cain's people, and even some of those who still think Gingrich is their man would be a great aid to getting the one true conservative candidate on the ballot.

And, for the record, don't buy in to this "early" meme on "un-electability." That is PURE hogwash. That IS the national media at work deciding their choice of candidate. See the spin for what it is. Once a national candidate is selected he WILL be electable. More so if he is conservative than liberal. Didn't we learn that lesson with McCain? Perhaps not... :BangHead:

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I like a lot of what I see in Santorum. He is a bit too trigger happy for me, but at least people would have a choice.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Trigger happy?

Remember, he will inherit the same Pentegon that Ron Paul or <gasp> Obama. Those military geniuses have a lot more to do with our military operations than does a "trigger happy" President, although that is not to take away from the fact that the President is inded Commander in Chief.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, get ready for the anti-gay slurs, the claims of intolerance, hating of women for denying them abortions, etc.

Perry and Cain have endorsed Gingrich, so no help there. Santorum does have a Super Pac behind him, led by Foster Friess, a born-again Christian billionaire manager of a mutual fund.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...torums-money-an-interview-with-foster-friess/

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is true that the delegates are unbound, but the fact that Santorum was able to win three states is damaging to Romney. Santorum's message of not settling for another RINO is getting through as he delineates the differences between Romney and himself. I liked Santorum's statement in his victory speech last night, "I don't stand here as the conservative alternative to Mitt Romney, I stand here as the conservative alternative to Barack Obama."

Also, the margins of victory were impressive. Here in Minnesota Romney's surrogate former Gov. Tim Pawlenty was preaching Romney all over the state. In addition I got two mailers from the Romney campaign that were attack ads on Santorum. Didn't help Romney.

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Romney has a slight lead -- around 10% of all the available delegates and in many of the other states the delegates have the same unbound characteristic.

Actually, the unbound delegates are the best and greatest hope for a decent candidate. Romney will find his fate similar to McCain's from the last cycle. No one who as truly conservative, Christian, or pro-life will be very enthusiastic about supporting him, and will only vote in his direction while holding their noses.

Santorum, on the other hand, stacks up very well with the base as soon as the base begins to realize that he can become the nominee and that he can actually win the election. He can pull delegates at the convention if the people are behind him and if he can solidify the message he has started to make public about Obama being the true issue here.

9. matt wade

10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

11. matt wade

Technicality? Romney has 107 delegates to Santorum's 45. That's not 10% or 20%.

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Let's start over... Just how many delegates are NEEDED to secure the nomination? 1144...

How many delegates does Romney have right now? 107...

Using mathematics that only Quantum would understand, that comes to slightly less than 10% of the AVAILABLE delegates. I was correct in my first post.

13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

If Santorum gains momentum and wins the nomination, I wonder how many of the I Won't Vote for Romney Because He's a Mormon club will refuse to vote for him because he's a Catholic.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Either has my vote over King Obama.

15. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

As a former resident of PA, I've been quite interested in Santorum's run for the presidency this year.

The main thing that I have against him was his failure to support the conservative Pat Toomey in the GOP primary race for US Senator from PA back in 2004 against the very liberal Arlen Spector. Spector was one of the worst senators there was; in fact, he eventually changed his affiliation from Republican to Democrat.

Thankfully for PA, Pat Toomey won the race for US senate in 2010 and is already one of the most conservative senators we now have.

16. matt wade

My apologies. I misread your original post and thought you meant that Romney had a 10% lead. Now that I reread it I realize that I am in error.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And thus the reason the GOP heirarchy will give us Romney. They have nothing to lose cause so many will vote GOP no matter what so why not give their nod to the Obama clone?

That way nothing changes in DC and the Republicat Oligarchy continues unchecked.

18. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Had Florida been forced to obey the rules regarding pre-April states being forced to split proportionally, Romney would be down at about 80, and Santorum would be at 52.... It would be worse than this for him, if the GOP in Iowa had not bungled the election before New Hampshire and SC, robbing Santorum of his bump...

The fact is, that Romney lost the last three states. Santorum has won the most states of any candidate.

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are the Standings.

Candidate......Won.Lost.Pct.
    Santorum...........4 4 .500
    Romney..............3 5 .375
    Gingrich..............1 7 .125
    Paul...................0 8 .000

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Right. So Santorum has won more than anyone, in terms of states.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.