1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Santorum

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Benjamin, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's a matter of perspective. You continue to vote for the person receiving 7 -10% of the votes ensuring the most heinous president in our history a second term.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

So voting for Tweedle-Dee instead of Tweedle-Dum is really going to be an improvement?

And meanwhile the band plays on and both sides of two party hegemony laugh the voters to scorn and continue with their agenda to look out for themselves and their relentless and control. And the noose gets tighter and tighter.

#102 NaasPreacher (C4K), Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
  3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That begs the question, are they equally bad?

I think you have been shown on your very own thread what an improvement Romney would be over Obama, but continue to hold onto delusions of grandeur that THIS election Americans will vote third party. Ain't happening.

#103 webdog, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
  4. targus

targus New Member

At least Tweedle-Dee would have to face the prospect of running again in four years.

Tweedle-Dum would be free to do whatever he wants with no political cost since he can't run for a third term.

At this point I'm hoping that Santorum gets the nomination so Tweedle-Dee won't even be an issue.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True. We know that it's delegates that really matter, but it's hard to know how many each candidate has gotten. Super Tuesday will clarify who the real front runner is, IMO.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I do too - but the GOP know that the 'Christian right' will hold their noses and vote for whoever they deign worthy of their votes.

Bushes, Clinton, Obama, Romney - 'hold your nose voting' ain't working so well, is it?

Santorum, though I don't like everything about him, would at least offer a choice.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Actually, the Media has butchered it so badly, that the RNC has put out an official chart. Mitt is not even to 100 yet...

[​IMG]

FYI: My understanding is that, although Ron Paul is in third place in terms of bound delegates at this point, that he has actually managed to accrue the majority of the nominees in the caucas states, assuring a majority of the delegates from these states, regardless of the straw poll contests. For instance:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/02/08/ron_paul_secretly_won_the_caucuses.html

Paul keeps telling everyone this is not a popularity contest. It is about delegates. If he keeps going this way, and the convention is brokered, he is almost assured the nomination.

8. mandym

mandym New Member

I believe he is the best candidate out there.

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

That will NEVER happen.

Paul would never stand the scrutiny of the Convention.

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

That is simply not true. The way it is looking right now, more than half the delegates seated at the convention are going to be Ron Paul supporters. Not sure what you mean by the "scrutiny" of the convention...

11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

We will see whom the delegates support during the convention, won't we.

Half "promised" is "half-baked." I see no such support for real for Paul in the real world. His voters cannot even get him into double digits (for the most part) in the primary elections. How that turns out to mean that he will sweep the convention is beyond me.

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is absolutely no way to know this. I believe it is called wishful thinking. There was an article in the local paper today:

WASHINGTON - Libertarian favorite Ron Paul brought his insurgent presidential campaign to Minnesota, and its effects are likely to be felt for some time within the state's GOP ranks.

While the Texas congressman finished a distant second to upset victor Rick Santorum, more than a quarter of the party delegates chosen in Tuesday night's caucuses could be Paul acolytes, with little allegiance to the party establishment and its local officeholders.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/138982369.html

According to this story Paul might claim 25% of the Minnesota delegates. This is in a state where he has traditionally done well, drawing large crowds and zealous supporters. He was strong in 2008 and also this year. He got 27% of the delegates in the straw poll. So his delegate count--in a state he is strong in--tracks his overall polling numbers.

I admire your support and loyalty to Ron Paul, but you've got to put down the Kool-Aid, and take off the rose colored glasses. He's not going to get half the delegates in Tampa. More like 15%.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would work if the state GOP caucuses were to choose Paul supporters overwhelmingly as delegates. It depends on each state's delegate selection process.

FWIW, I know two people that attended Minnesota's caucuses and in both areas the delegates chosen to go to the state convention (where the national delegates are chosen) were Santorum supporters.

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Things change at the convention. Just remember Reagan's first year...

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I think you greatly underestimate our organization in this. I know of several precincts where, even though Paul got only 7-10 percent of the vote, his people got 100 percent of the spots...I can only imagine how it went in the precincts where he won or was competitive...

16. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

There has only been one state where he was in single digits, and he did not even campaign there. Romney has to outspend everyone else 5 to one just to pull out a squeaker, and Santorum and Gingrich couldn't even get enough support to get on the ballots in many states...

17. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Keep clicking your heels and keep telling yourself that, and it may come true.

18. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I Look at His Photo...

...and hear him speak; I can think of Gomer Pyle, or his cousin, Goober!

In other words, I just can't take Santorum seriously, and I seriously hope he isn't being seriously considered as a candidate. :smilewinkgrin:

19. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just don't know that I can take that reasoning seriously...Hank :smilewinkgrin:

[​IMG]

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Its this kind of mentality that got us Obama. Even my mother in law voted for him due to him being so "well spoken". Who cares what he sounds like, whats behind the voice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.