1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Warren Finds the Missing Link

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have yet to make a personal attack on you. I have disagreed with Warren. And yet here is another personal attack which is unwarranted and unnecessary. I see annsi has disagreed with me without attack. Good luck with your endeavors.

2. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

2 John 1:10-11 10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

You are really starting to reach now.

Are you honestly using that one verse, plucked right from the bible, to demonstrate that annsni, and other believers in similar positions, shouldn't do that kind of work? Keep stretching.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It isn't about the "work". It is about who they are planning to do it with. And where would you have me pluck it from? PDL

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

We reap what we sow.

7. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Revmitchell, what if you preach against things that the Catholic church, the godless cult as you called them, preaches against?

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

If they both preach against the same thing? I guess that means he is in agreement with them.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I say congratulations to revmitchell, because he's the first preacher I've ever heard condemn good works.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No attack, just stating the facts. If any pastor uses those kind of sites to support what they teach to their flock they are in serious trouble, and I would have to question the validity of their calling.

#70 webdog, Feb 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2008
  11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a complete misrepresentation of anything I have said.

12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

When you separate good works from the preaching of the Gospel, you are left with nothing but religious or secular morality. You don't need a preacher for that, just watch Oprah and she can save the world for you with her vast fortune. Warren can help her too. After all, the problem in the world is not "sin", but aids, proverty, pollution, etc., etc. We shouldn't offend people by calling them sinners - we should make them like us by giving them food and medicine, and whatever else greedy colonialists took away from them, right?

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're starting to sound like Fred Phelps.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More personal attacks. Nothing substantial just attacks.

15. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I will not dignify that comment with a reply! (sticks out tongue)

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

As I was down at the barn horseback riding with the heathens, I was thinking of something. Is Rick Warren saying that we need to partner with the other faith communities or is he saying that if all faith communities battled poverty, disease and such that we would atleast make a dent in erradicating it? What if my own church started a ministry for those in the community who live under the poverty level and cannot make ends meet. The church down the street has a ministry to those who are affected with AIDS and yet another church is having an after school program for at risk kids to help them with tutoring and mentoring? Would this not do what he's asking all faith communities to do? Or is he saying that the 3 churches need to work together on the same exact project? I think it's the former.

So what's all the fuss?

17. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is a "faith community"? Can you find that in the Bible? Of course not. It was invented by politicians to form a common purse with government. In order to participate in a "faith community", you have to drop doctrine and preaching.

There's nothing wrong with good works, but when they are separated from the Gospel, they are worthless. If your good works glorify Christ (not just some generic "god", or your "religion"), then go for it!

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

That is completely ridiculous.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A "faith community" is something different than a "business community" or "government". It is people of faith - whether it be right or wrong. So this would be cults as well as true Bible churches. It's an easy term to identify a different category of people than "churches" because "churches" doesn't encompass synagogues, temples or whatever. It's not saying that they're right - or that I'm dropping "doctrine and preaching". Again, it's a general term for a group of people. Those who are members of the faith community, whether their beliefs are right or wrong tend to want to help those around them (hopefully). What Pastor Warren is saying is that if all of these people worked against poverty, then where would poverty be? How many churches DO address poverty? Not many, I'm sure. I know my own church tries to address those that come to the doors but is there more we can do - and with a true Bible church doing that, how many hearts can be touched and the Gospel be spread? It's an amazing thing to think of.

For those who are believers, then their good works will be inextricably tied to the Gospel - and it will be through the power of the Holy Spirit that they will spread the Gospel. For those who are outside of the Gospel, even though their good works might be worthless in the life to come (hay and stubble that will burn up) but to those who are suffering in this world, it will not be worthless. Honestly, if I were homeless and my children were hungry because of massive medical bills from a child or my spouse being critically ill, I'd take a hand out from anyone - Christian or not. If no church would help me and a Muslim came to me with money and a place to stay, I'd take it. I don't care if they're going to get rewarded for it or not (but I would certainly give them the Gospel because I DO care for their soul) - I'd be grateful for what they'd give me.

20. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I agree! To think that there are people here that believe that you can't join in and help others with other people of different faiths is crazy!

I wonder if they just limit it to people of different faiths or whether they would not help out when athiet's were around?

I can understand if you were asked to give up your faith or belief's to help and they were asking you to suppress what you believed in, then they might have a point.

From what I gathered from the article was RW wants everyone of faith to join in with the bussiness world and the government to help correct some of the world's problems. How this can be a bad thing I don't understand.

Given a chance to help out others with other people of different faiths, wouldn't that be a prime time to witness to them and help them see where they believe in a false God?

Jamie