1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Warren on eternity...

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Daniel David, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

This is taken directly from his webpage. Do you disagree with anything?

Man was created to exist forever. He will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or in union with God through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is Hell. To be eternally in union with Him is eternal life. Heaven and Hell are places of eternal existence.

2. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

Yeah. I don't like it when people start sentences with "To be"

I mean, what kind of a person with any literary skill at all would do that?

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

To be so critical Siegfried is to demonstrate your need for others to accept you on your ability to handle English grammar instead of your personality.

4. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

There. I corrected your post for you. I knew that's what you meant to say.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

To be so critical of structure is to miss the point of what is being said.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

literary skill ......to be.... ?

I don't know, wasn't it Shakespear who wrote
    ' to be or not to be..'
    only playing, not serious.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I wanted to say that, Katie, but I bit my fingers so I wouldn't type it in. :D

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

This here Cajun boy ain't much on correct English and building structured sentences--I would say though that Warren's way of expressing lostness is a little different than most--mine especially--but he ain't no more wrong than the fella next door who says something like---Eternal hell is a separation from God throughout all eternity. The rich man was in hell--might I add--in torments in the flame--and he saw Lazarus "afar off"--giving us the clue of seperation.

My pet peave while preaching is the school teacher on the front row(or the backrow) who insist that the preacher be always grammatically correct. Which, that ain't gonna happen all the time when I'm "lettin' one fly(preaching)!! I generally like to tell them--I wasn't hired to be grammically correct--I was hired to preach!! You were not hired as a English school teacher to preach--but to be grammicatically correct.

YOur friend
    Blackbird

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Well, my fingers have a mind of their own [​IMG] I just can't control them sometimes. LOL

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Good one blackbird. If I'm ever in Mississippi(which I doubt), I'd love to hear you preach.
    I failed english, so I don't know anything about grammer and proper this and that, but I do know it has nothing to do with ones understadning of scripture, if it did bible would only be sold to peple with all A's on their report cards, and we'd all be in trouble. I think attacking some for something like grammer(or spelling, since I'm bad at that too) in a discussion on the bible is just so far off track they are seaching for anything to hang onto to continue to feel superior.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Au contraire. That is a real cop out and a step toward denying a literal lake of fire.

To be eternally separated from God is one thing. To be in Hell is something else. Hell is NOT JUST separation from God. It is a real place of conscious existence.

This is a trite, shallow definition that does diservice to the Bible.

12. Molly

Molly New Member

Dr.Bob,

These were my thoughts as well. There are defintely some weak doctrinal issues in his book and taught in his church.

[ November 18, 2002, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Molly ]

13. Molly

Molly New Member

I think the men were joking about the *to be* part.

14. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Siegfried and I are good friends. Once in awhile, you will see each of us try to one-up the other.