1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Warren on Music

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Pastor Larry, Aug 19, 2004.

1. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Quote: "Because you can find yourself responding emotionally and physically to utter heresy, simply because the tune is catchy and the band can really pull it off. And the message is getting hidden."

Maybe you can, but not me. Take for instance John Lennon's "My Sweet Lord" That would be a really good song that I could get into except for the fact that the message is about Krishna. The catchy tune will never overcome the heresy.

God created us with our emotions and it's ridiculous to think that he cannot or will not speak to us on an emotional level. In fact, I don't see how you could turn them off if you wanted to. Sounds and Pictures, even word pictures bring strong emotional responses. That's the way God made us. I can't look at the pictures of the firemen coming out of the rubble of the twin towers or hear stories of the men who gave their lives trying to save others without shedding a few tears. Same is true of my Savior on the cross. How can you look at Jesus on the cross, knowing that his love for you is the whole reason he's there, and not respond emotionally? You'd have to be psychotic not to.

Do we go for emotionalism for the sake of emotionalism. Never. But I'd sure hate to sit through one of your sermons if your goal is to avoid emotion at all cost and keep everything on some high intellectual plane.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You guys make me laugh ... I actually like a lot of Rick Warren's PDC though I think his applications of it are very weak. I don't pretend to read his mind. There is no need to. By reading his books and seeing what he does you can see exactly what he believes. It is remarkable to me that you dispute this. I don't think Warren would. I have seen him say it in articles as well as his books.

To pretend that I am in favor of avoiding emotionaism at all costs is certainly misreading what I have said. I am not. If you go back and look, my point was that of engaging the emotions while bypassing the intellect, or intellectual barriers. Warren says you can win anybody if you can find the key to their heart. That is simply heresy, but it plays right into his method. He believes that music can bypass the intellectual barriers and open their heart. The intellectual barriers are the problem ... We can't just simply bypass them by changing the subject or going around them.

I think reading Warren with an open mind would show that what I have said is certainly true, and I honestly don't think Warren would dispute it. I have seen enough from him to think he would back it up. We just disagree on methods.

3. superdave

superdave New Member

Pastor Larry,
    I am in agreement somewhat with this statement, although I don't see Warren saying that music bypasses the intellect. It seems rather obvious that the intellect would be required to process the truths contained in the lyrical content.

I read his statement as music being able to reach those who may more readily hear the truth in a song, than in a sermon in some cases, possibly because of the emotional content inherent in music, or because they aren't expecting it from that medium. I know many people who will immediately turn off the intellect when the preacher says "Turn with me in your Bibles..." but may not have the same barrier erected when good music is being played.

To illustrate, how many times have you hummed or sang a song that you heard at some time, you know the ones that just kinda stick in your head, and than stopped, and realized what you were singing, or what the lyrics actually were. It could be good or bad. I was singing a song in Church on Sunday and the lyrics suddenly struck me as very appropriate for my circumstances right now, when the 100 or so other times I have sung that song, I did not internalize the text in the same way. I think that is what Warren is getting at in this quote, especially if you read it in a broader context. Not that it bypasses the intellect itself, but that it has an opportunity to reach the intellect of those who perhaps would barricade themselves from the same truth being delivered in a different medium.

4. John Ellwood Taylor

John Ellwood Taylor New Member

What is the heart in Scripture? The heart is never emotions only. It is always connected to the intellect.

The great danger of music is that it bypasses the intellect and goes straight to the emotions, appealing to the wrong thing. Any truth must first touch the intellect before the emotions.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I do believe that Warren is meaning emotions when he says heart.
    Read Romans 12:1-2 We are told that we are to be renewed in our minds! The Psalmist said, "Thy Word have I hid in my heart...".
    While music can be used for edification, it must have the content of truth revealed from God's Word: Colossians 3:16: "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord."
    Music can be used for teaching and admonishing just like preaching, but both need to aimed at the mind (again Rom. 12:2). There is equal danger in preaching that is aimed at emotional manipulation as well.

It is a mind renewed by the Holy Spirit through the Word that can then present the entire body(mind, heart, frame,etc.) as a living sacrifice to God.

While good lyrics that accurately present the truth of the Word can be edifying, again it would appear that Warren was using 'heart' as a synonym for emotions. Playing on emotions will generate a less than genuine response, as faith comes by hearing the Word of God.
    This is a great concern of mine. To illustrate, I performed a funeral that included military rights at the gravesite/committal. I insisted that I close with the reading of the Word and prayer. To end with the gun volley, taps, and presenting the coffin flag to the spouse plays on emotions (rightly so). However, I didn't want to leave the people with the last impression based on an emotional event. To close with the Word (in this case from Rev. 22) is to give the promises of God to the people and in prayer we are entrusting ourselves back to God based on His promises.

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Pastor Larry, you said "There is no doubt that music can "speak" to people in ways that speech sometimes cannot. The question is, How much of a role should that play in our ministry of the gospel. My answer is that it should complement it, not bypass it."

I would have to give a big hearty AMEN! to that.

6. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

What's your reaction? </font>[/QUOTE]It has long been known that "music soothes the savage beast"

It has long been known that Music in advertising enhances the sale of that which is advertised. The most effective advertisements include some kind of musical "jingle"

It has long been known that certain forms of music when used in milking barns, results in increased release of the milk by the cow, thus better production.

It has long been known that the right music accompanying study produces better test scores.

7. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Thought I'd drop by and see how things were going... ©¿©

Given Rick Warren's general touchy-feely seeker-senisitive approach I would tend to automatically disagree with anything he said...

Music is an integral part of 'us'...

Whether it's through a sermon or through a well written song that the Holy Spirit Draws a man/woman to Jesus isn't important...

This the Scripture that came to me on page three:

Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?"

Rom 10:17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Sound is the vehicle irregardless of if it's spoken or sung...

Now, I know that when I listen to music that I like I tend to lower my guard.

Often the Holy Spirit can get my attention in music long before I ever lower my guard for the Pastors Sermon...

In Charismatic circles we were once taught that the Scripture that says 'Judah must plow' could be used with 'break up your fallow ground' resulting in the following...

Judah, meaning Praise, can, and often does, break up fallow ground in preparation for the sowing of the Seed of the Word in the Sermon...

Discount the importance of music too much and the sermone may not even be 'heard' with Spiritual Ears...

Discount the importance of 'accountable' Preaching and all you've got is a 'feel good' club.

It takes both...

As for discounting emotionalism...

While it is true that too much will have a person bawling to the point they can't hear a word you say...

The people on the day of Pentecost were 'cut to the heart'...

IMHO, They had an emotional response to the message and responded both to the truth of the Word and the shock of their deeds...

Now that's accountable preaching...

Mike Sr.