1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Rick Warren Speaks out

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whole bunch of waffle. Speaking but not saying anything
    He doesn't actually expalin what he believes or doesn't believe, or why. except he rejects both (apparently though fails to explain why they're wrong) becuase of indepth study (which he fails to explain, which texts, verses etc nothing) and talks about Traditions of the pharisees (but doesnt explain how the complementarian or egalitarin are just traditions opposed to God's command) then talks about woman having leadership abilities and the need to share the gospel. (which neither position disagrees with).

It just waffle, fluff. And he's clearly in practice sides with the egalitarians.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Piper

Piper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is a compromiser and weak on theology. He has to be in order to be as popular is he is with the world.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I plowed through the link and was all set to post when I came across Mikey's post which presents the same conclusions I reached, Pastor Warren's position is egalitarian, but claims it is not. Like Calvinists, He is long on saying what He does not believe and short on the specifics of what He does believe.

The issue is whether the principle of not allowing women to exercise authority in the home and in the church is a cultural accommodation, the accepted view at that time being women were not leaders but appointed by God to be followers. Pastor Warren alluded to contradictory positions found in scripture, i.e. there is no difference between slave and free, Jew and Gentile, male or female in Christ.

The accommodation folks think scripture accepted the existing culture (all things to all people) in order to bridge the gap, but then sets about to ameliorate the ungodly facets of the culture with directives toward transitioning to a Christian culture of love and respect for everyone.

As an example, consider when first inaugurated, the USA accommodated a totally wicked form of slavery, but about 70 years later, sufficient numbers of believers understood there is no difference between a slave and a free person in Christ, and we all should treat those enslaved as our brothers, with love and respect. Note our battle hymn, as Christ died to make men holy, let us die to make men free.

#4 Van, Jun 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    not really fair to judge him that way IMO

and I am def not an RW fan

6. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I agree with him that Complementarianism and Egalitarianism are both junk. I prefer Biblical Patriarchy.

Probably one of the very few things I agree with Rick Warren on.

Of course, his stance of having women "pastors" is all you need to know about his Bible exegesis or lack thereof.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He promotes women pastors, and refuses to have solid teaching. He is 2 Timothy 4:3 personified.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ‘Bud Light’ of Pastors! A serious disappointment as a Christian. What he is doing is attempting to expand his market. :Sneaky

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes in California

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :eek: There are a few people on the BB that do the same thing. :Whistling

Rob

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 2: 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

15 Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

1 Timothy 3: 1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.

7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

I don't care what Rick Warren has to say, I go to scripture... Rick Warren can do what he wants to and does and many follow him but I believe The Apostle Paul not Rick Warren... Wrong is wrong and you cannot make wrong right... The injustice done is to Rick Warren and his pathetic satanic interpretation of scripture... Brother Glen:)

Btw... A woman is saved in child bearing as we all are, Mary bore Jesus Christ the Son Of God our Savior and that is how any of us are saved!

#11 tyndale1946, Jun 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The she, is singular, referring to Eve in the birth of the Christ.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds rather speculative, are there verses that contextually support this assertion?

14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 3:15, ". . . And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. . . ." Whose heel? Is a descendant of Eve, and identified to be the Christ. And was born, Luke 2:11.

15. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its all good!... You went in the back door I went in the front... Brother Glen;)

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After reading the reference of the post I agree with Rick Warren.
    He's taken a strong stand against legalism...he's no Pharisee.

I agree that both the egalitarian and complementarian positions have weaknesses (and strengths).

I personally am not a risk taker so I'd bow out of the debate and not have women pastors
    (I'd simply label them something else and let them do the tasks at hand, which is what many churches do).

Rick Warren is much bolder and obviously a Leader, so he took the hard road.

Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At first I agreed with you. But now I'm not so sure.

The reason is we can find problems with two things and simply not have a solution.

NT Wright did this with Justification (he suggested we visit the topic because he concluded the current doctrine was problematic. BUT when he offered the NPP he also said I was not without issues.

When I first rejected the Penal Substitution Theory of Atonement I was in the same boat. I realized holding Scripture as thel standard for doctrine and Penal Substitution Theory was not possible, but I did not have a ready solution. I couldn't keep believing what I knew was false and had to be patient in studying God's Word (for a couple of years).

So I can see how the man can reject both views yet not have anything substantial to offer. Maybe he doesn't need to offer anything at all.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I say brethren on here can believe what they want and if they want to go the way of Rick Warren so be it... I do not go to your church and you don't go to mine but with true conviction I can say... And there no use beating this dead horse, and these are my last words in this discussion... NOT IN MY CHURCH!... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not in ours either. I'm not saying he is right (or wrong). Just that he may not necessarily be compromising or waffling.

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No women pastors/elders in the church I attend as well

...but we have women deacons,
    women who meet together to plan women's ministries,
    a woman who serves as a business manager (reporting offerings, checks and balances, budget etc.),
    women who organize and direct family outings,
    women who teach children and youth,
    women who organize women's events and teach them,
    women missionaries,
    women who serve the needy and who and organize groups to provide meals for them,

they serve a pastoral role by another name, imho,

Oh, we have men's ministries as well. lol

Rob