1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Warren

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Reynolds, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJVOBible

KJVOBible Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thank God that Jesus is not hung up on denominations, He can save anyone and everyone no matter what denomination they are in.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, I ask, so what?

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, The current and the immediate past SBC President say these are Baptists. Who should have more definitive authority on who is and is not a Baptist, The Southern Baptist President or you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I understand the situation. The crux of the matter is TC is only loosely affiliated with the SBC. He's only been connected with the SBC since he retired to Texas and joined an SBC church. He did not come up through the SBC school system or Convention structure.

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. Have it your way. I am not allowed an opinion. If the devil says he is a baptist, then, according to you, he is a baptist. Got it.

Of course, if a person saying he is a baptist makes him a baptist, then Rick Warren is a baptist because he says he is one, and, of course, we both know that one of the baptist distinctives is a Saved, Baptized Church Membership and as Rick Warren is a member of the baptist church he pastors, which is a SBC church, then, contrary to the accusations made in this thread, he is, by definition, saved and baptized.

End of discussion.

6. KJVOBible

KJVOBible Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being a member of a church denomination is not enough though... it takes truly believing in the Jesus Christ of the Bible, and I fail to see where RW actually believes in the TRUE Christ. At the end of the day, I could care less whether someone is a Baptist, a methodist, a presby, a pentacostal, etc. etc., if they are saved, they are saved! I am not going to fight the brethren, I have bigger fish to fry so to speak, I am more concerned about calling people like RW out for their false teachings.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said he was not saved nor did I say he was not Baptized.
    You are allowed an opinion. The problem I have with your "opinions" is you at times (pretty much all times) act as if others are to treat your opinion as inerrant fact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please. Try to keep up with the discussion. KJVOBible said he was not saved (and she can presumably see his heart). I pointed out the folly of your deflection, bringing in the SBC President (I don't even know, nor care, who is President of the SBC). I simply pointed out there are certain baptist distinctives that pertain to all baptists, as it is those distinctives that make a person a baptist.

Thank you! Oh thank you for so graciously allowing me to have an opinion. I am so grateful to your magnanimity, stooping down from your pedestal, high and lifted up, to grant me such a boon of allowing me to have an opinion. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, of course. When you have no answer just engage in a personal attack. Because you, of course, never believe your opinions are accurate, but realize you are always wrong. Yep. Right. Of course. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ZOOOOOOMMMMMM! Right over her head! LOL!

10. KJVOBible

KJVOBible Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Har har har you are so funny... what is your problem? you have been just attacking me left and right since I signed up...

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would one of Rick Warren's detractors show me where he denies that Jesus is the only way to Heaven?

That video "exposing Rick Warren" was merely an 8 minute rant about whether or not he supported California Proposition 8 (making gay marriage illegal.)

So where does Rick Warren say Jesus is not the only way to salvation?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. KJVOBible

KJVOBible Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is one instance,
    RW believes that Christians and muslims serve the same god.

I wish I could find the video I watched just yesterday where I saw RW say that there was many paths to God, this is heresy! Jesus IS the ONLY way!

#132 KJVOBible, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. KJVOBible

KJVOBible Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here RW calls Jesus isa! Jesus IS NOT isa!

RW is also buddies with Dr Daniel Amen who teaches and does kundalini yoga, and weird tantric sex teachings.
    Here we see RW talking to Dr Daniel Amen about meditating etc. etc. they talk as if meditation is good for us... well it's not.
    RW had EVERY opportunity to present the Gospel, but all he does is either talk about himself or ridicule those in the Christian faith.

14. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to know you are off on one of your rants.
    Some days your grouchiness just bubbles over. You tell me to "keep up." You need to keep up as well. You attribute me saying things I did not say and agreeing with things which I did not agree.
    I bring in The SBC President to point out that by your definition of a Baptist, he would not be one nor the past SBC President. You call people non Baptists" who clearly are. I think most people would laugh you out of the room if you applied your criteria to the SBC President and would have to say he is not a Baptist. Most obviously the overwhelming majority of SBC delegates thought he was a Baptist.

#134 Reynolds, Aug 21, 2018
  15. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think the best conclusion about RW is that he should not be a Pastor, or in any type of a leadership position. He may indeed be a Christian. Christians hold all kinds of errors. But when they are in leadership, those errors multiply. Pastors need to be better than this. Their job, literally, is to protect the flock from errors like this.

Warren is man that makes erroneous mistakes to please particular audiences, then backtracks a little to please other audiences. That's a huge problem.

Bottom line, he needs to be called out by sound men, and very few in the Church are willing to do this, in fact, many run to his defense for the sake of unity. But they need to keep in mind that false teachings also hurt unity. And when a guy like Warren makes these errors it spreads like wildfire.

Here's a good interview with John MacArthur on the subject.

Straight Talk About the Seeker Church Movement

#135 Calminian, Aug 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps go into your browser's history file from yesterday and find it there?

I would have to see what he means by "many paths to God" in context. A case could be made that there are many paths to God--hearing the gospel (Romans 10:14), observing nature (Romans 1:20; Psalm 19:1-2), having people witness to someone, there's even reports of Muslims having dreams about Jesus. All these things can be a pathway to God.

Let's be clear though--there is salvation only through Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12).

I'm not defending Warren. I'm looking for an unambiguous statement by Rick Warren that there is salvation outside Jesus Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to know you still have absolutely no relationship with the truth.

Well, I admit I do have a reputation for:

1. Not suffering fools gladly.

2. Not celebrating stupidity.

3. Not treating ignorance as if it were a virtue.

If that makes me "grouchy" so be it. But it is probably more likely related to the pain I am in 24/7, but that is my problem, not yours.

You really need to work on your reading comprehension. I never attributed anything to you. Go back and read the thread again. Real slowly.

And for the 3rd time, "So what?"

Sez you.

I don't base my doctrine on majority opinion. You, of course, are free to do whatever pleases you.

One more time. I don't base my doctrine on majority opinion. You, of course, are free to do whatever pleases you.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two points. 1. He built a church from next to nothing to an attendance of around 50,000. Isn't there just a tiny hint of leadership there?

2. Who pastors Saddleback is none of your, nor my, business. The only people who get to decide that are the members of Saddleback. Autonomy of the local church is another one of those pesky Baptist Distinctives. :)

19. KJVOBible

KJVOBible Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm so just because he has a church with what over 50,000 members makes him a man of God? Joel Osteen probably has an even bigger church! so do MANY of the heretics, false prophets / teachers, etc! Broad is the way to hell and many go! but narrow is the way to Heaven and few go!

It's not all about the numbers... it's about JESUS! are they saved, or are they not! RW does not preach the Gospel! he is self centered and egotistical.

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I try to lighten the load as much as possible.

How much time do you have?

LOL! No, sorry, but disagreeing with you is not attacking you. BIG difference.

In fact, the person in this thread who has been on the attack, is you. You have leveled false accusations against a baptist pastor. You have attacked his character, his salvation, well, just about everything about him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.