1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Warren's Wacky environmental agenda

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Another Rick Warren thread :rolleyes:

Who's Steve Camp?

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Amen!

I'm truly surprised at the high number of Christians who don't even make an effort to recycle, believing that it isn't important.

5. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

Thanx for sharing . . .
    it's always good to keep up with the latest news from the fruit and nut section :rolleyes:
    Poor Rick - maybe global warming has affected his thought process . . .

6. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Amen!

I'm truly surprised at the high number of Christians who don't even make an effort to recycle, believing that it isn't important.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Recycling is a good thing. Rick Warren and his teachings, however, are not. :eek:

7. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

psst . . . it's not ;)

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Stewardship is not important? psst...it is!

1Co 9:17 For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if unwillingly, I am entrusted with a stewardship.

9. Brice

Brice New Member

All I see is a man that writes something as fact without supporting it with evidence.

Take a few examples.

"A guy writes one very successful book, makes a lot of money and all of a sudden he's concerned about people with AIDS and world hunger."

This is an unfair assumption being that he doesn't know this to be fact. If Warren didn't do anything with his influence they would have problems as well. success = can't win in the baptist world.

"This is nothing but recycled (no pun intended) left wing political skubalon with biblical proof-texts attached (almost all of the scriptures he uses to justify this cause are taken completely out of context--too many to list here. I think he's still reading The Message). Global warming is a myth folks; a fabrication."

Again no support. He just makes a statement and runs with it. He may very well be right, but I would like some academic support.

These are just a few.

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds like Rick Warren has discovered an issue that many teenagers are passionate about, and had enabled them to fufil that passion through a Christian initiative. No doubt it will result in many more teens chosing his or an affiliated church over other mainstream churches. That is not neccessaraly a bad thing though, Christians should care about the environment to what they are able to do. Yet all to often people are more concerned about their own needs than the needs of others and the result is massive selfishness rather than having an attitude of wishing to help others.

11. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Let's prioritize here a bit. Sound doctrine and preaching from a good translation is far more important than recycling.Rick needs to quit merchandising the saints.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Rick Warren preaches the Gospel. Period. End of story. He may not preach it in a manner that you like, but he preaches it.

13. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

Uhhh, webdog,

Perhaps you shoud take your quote in its context. It is not speaking of recycling or any other environmental effort, wacky or not.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let's prioritize here a bit. Sound doctrine and preaching from a good translation is far more important than recycling.Rick needs to quit merchandising the saints. </font>[/QUOTE]Sound doctrine is important, and RW demonstrates this. Stewardship is more important than your requirements of a "good translation".

15. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering the fact that the current creation is cursed and to be burned with fire (see 2Pet 3:10-12, Rev 21:1, etc) I don't see any justification for getting side tracked by enviormentalism. And that is exactly what this is...a distraction. NO PLACE, may I repeat that? No place in Scripture are we called to "save the enviroment". Period. Should we take care of it? Yes. I am a asthmatic so I certainly want clean air. However, and this is a big however, we should not get sidetracked with this issue. We, the church, need to be concerned with eternal matters not temporary stuff like enviormentalism (or political activism of any sort).

In fact I will go so far as to say that this is just another tool that is used by these popular preachers to avoid the Gospel. It is alot easier to preach a watered down, greasy grace "gospel" and then turn to politics or enviromentalism than it is to preach the Biblical Gospel! After all the former will get you a much larger audience than the latter. We need to be concerned with eternal souls not trees and whales. Sure we should take care of animals (etc) but we should not get overly distracted by it.

Beyond that "global warming" is not a fact. Like evolution it is a theory. The "fact" is that we have not been keeping records long enough to know alot about larger cycles (etc) the earth may go through. Also there are other things that maybe responsible, in part, for any warming that goes on.

Bottom line: this is just another distraction.

It is sad that, yet again, the popular evangelical church is falling hook line and sinker for yet another fad distraction. Whether it is the "Prayer of Jabez", "The Purpose Driven Life", "Left Behind", "The Passion", "Dr Laura", "Tales Of Narnia", or any other passing fad, the popular evangelical movement is more than willing to run to the stores and eat up these things with little to no Biblical discernment. It is sad.

Martin.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Uhhh, webdog,

Perhaps you shoud take your quote in its context. It is not speaking of recycling or any other environmental effort, wacky or not.
    </font>[/QUOTE]No kidding. The point is stewardship is important, regardless what we are to be stewards of.

17. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would say that it isn't sad but good that Christians are being obedient to scripture to steward creation instead of listening to corporate anti-environmentalist propoganda.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would ask the moderators to close this thread as it is nothing more than dragging Rick Warren, a Christian brother, through the mud again. There's been enough of these threads on the BB to last a lifetime.

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I can only pray that the above statement was made in just. If not it is certainly one of the most disturbing examples of modern evangelical popularism I have seen in a few weeks. Stewardship is more important than having a translation of the Bible that is faithful to the God Breathed Word? Without a faithful, "good", translation what do you have? A bad, non-faithful, translation. Do you want that? Is that acceptable to you? I hope not. What is more important than enviormentalism? The Gospel is more important. The Word of God is more important. Making disciples is more important Being a disciple is more important. Being faithful to obey God is more important. Shall I continue?

Martin.

20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Yes, let's not hold anyone accountable. That is part of the problem with popular evangelicalism. We must examine what Rick Warren, or anyone else, is teaching. If that means we must be critical then that is what it means. This is not dragging his name in the mud. Rather it is asking and attempting to answer the simple question: Is what Rick Warren teaches Biblical?

Martin.