1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Warren's Wacky environmental agenda

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Amd I really hearing this? Yes, unfortunatly, this is a common attitude amongst Christians. The attitude that if I recycle my cans and bottles and newspapars, or I by fuel efficient vehicles, etc etc etc, then I'm compromising scripture.

All I can say there is ... what warped mentality is that?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

==I can only pray that the above statement was made in just. If not it is certainly one of the most disturbing examples of modern evangelical popularism I have seen in a few weeks. Stewardship is more important than having a translation of the Bible that is faithful to the God Breathed Word? Without a faithful, "good", translation what do you have? A bad, non-faithful, translation. Do you want that? Is that acceptable to you? I hope not. What is more important than enviormentalism? The Gospel is more important. The Word of God is more important. Making disciples is more important Being a disciple is more important. Being faithful to obey God is more important. Shall I continue?

Martin. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]
    If you are going to blast me, at least quote me correctly. I said YOUR requirements mean absolutely nothing to me, and what the Bible says about stewardship trumps YOUR requirements of what a good translation consists of.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that it isn't sad but good that Christians are being obedient to scripture to steward creation instead of listening to corporate anti-environmentalist propoganda. </font>[/QUOTE]==Sounds good but you just avoided all the points I raised. You also ignored the fact that not once in Scripture are we called to save the enviroment. This is not about "corporate anti-environmentalist propoganda", I see that as an excuse to avoid the points raised. This is about one thing and one thing only: Should the church be distracted, yet again, with another popular fad? I think not. It is bad enough that so many Christians are getting sidetracked with the circus of politics and popularism. We don't need to add enviromentalism to the distraction list. Christians need to get back to the basics of the Biblical Gospel. That may not be fun but it is what we must do.

Martin.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amd I really hearing this? Yes, unfortunatly, this is a common attitude amongst Christians. The attitude that if I recycle my cans and bottles and newspapars, or I by fuel efficient vehicles, etc etc etc, then I'm compromising scripture.

All I can say there is ... what warped mentality is that?
    </font>[/QUOTE]==Once again you have missed the point. My family owns a hybride car. Does yours?

Martin.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I can only pray that the above statement was made in just. If not it is certainly one of the most disturbing examples of modern evangelical popularism I have seen in a few weeks. Stewardship is more important than having a translation of the Bible that is faithful to the God Breathed Word? Without a faithful, "good", translation what do you have? A bad, non-faithful, translation. Do you want that? Is that acceptable to you? I hope not. What is more important than enviormentalism? The Gospel is more important. The Word of God is more important. Making disciples is more important Being a disciple is more important. Being faithful to obey God is more important. Shall I continue?

Martin.
    </font>[/QUOTE]
    If you are going to blast me, at least quote me correctly. I said YOUR requirements mean absolutely nothing to me, and what the Bible says about stewardship trumps YOUR requirements of what a good translation consists of. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]==Without a solid translation what do you have? Nothing. Nothing at all. This is not about "my requirments of what a good translation consists of" this is about what a good translation is (ie...faithful to the autographs). If it does not meet that requirment then how can you call it a good translation/paraphrase?

Martin.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If I have missed the point, I grossly apologize.

In fact, I recently test drove the Escape hybrid. Very impressive. I've been looking the need to replace my current vehicle for about a year now. I would most definitely prefer a hybrid in my next vehicle purchase.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

In fact, I recently test drove the Escape hybrid. Very impressive. I've been looking the need to replace my current vehicle for about a year now. I would most definitely prefer a hybrid in my next vehicle purchase.
    </font>[/QUOTE]==We have a Honda. It is a great car. Smooth, quite, the whole nine yards. And it is great, great, great on gas.

I think you did misunderstand my point. I am not saying we should not take care of the enivorment. Not at all. We should. As I pointed out I am an asthmatic so I certainly want as much clean air as we can get. I also have bad allergies and I don't fair well around smoke (from cars, trucks, plants, etc). So I am not against doing the right thing. I am not against taking care of our home. What I am against is Rick Warren, and others, jumping on the enviromentalist bandwagon, promoting global warming as if it is a fact, and distracting Christians yet again. We just don't need that. We need to get back to the basics, back to the old-fashion Biblical Gospel and teaching. We need less of this popularism and more solid Bible doctrine. Less politics and more gospel. That is my point.

Martin.

8. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

Uhhh, webdog,

Perhaps you shoud take your quote in its context. It is not speaking of recycling or any other environmental effort, wacky or not.
    </font>[/QUOTE]No kidding. The point is stewardship is important, regardless what we are to be stewards of.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I agree that the scriptures teach good stewardship of God's creation. However to read stewardship, of anything other than the gospel, into these passages is poor application of scriptures. If you want to show stewardship, then use the correct quotes. I do not oppose environmental stewardship, but the great commission we, as Baptists are so fond of quoting, does not say make environmentalists of the nations, but to teach them the gospel and baptize believers.

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Evangelical Climate Initiative

Rick Warren is one of many signatories of this statement but I have not found anything to suggest that he initiated the movement behind this statement. The history of the initiative makes no mention of Warren.

10. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Amen!

I'm truly surprised at the high number of Christians who don't even make an effort to recycle, believing that it isn't important.
    </font>[/QUOTE]God will soon take care of all the recycling.

"But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." 2 Pet. 3:10

Of course you folks out there that are preterists can take your newpapers and cans to the curb. [​IMG]

11. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would say that the social issues dear to the hearts of conservatives (ie homosexual marriage, teaching of evolution and sex-ed in schools, gambling, etc.) which emphasize holiness and doctrine are greater distractions and detriments to the basics of the gospel than those dear to the hearts of liberals (ie environmentalism, social justice, feeding the poor and hungry, etc.) which emphasize grace.

12. Brice

Brice New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]==We have a Honda. It is a great car. Smooth, quite, the whole nine yards. And it is great, great, great on gas.

I think you did misunderstand my point. I am not saying we should not take care of the enivorment. Not at all. We should. As I pointed out I am an asthmatic so I certainly want as much clean air as we can get. I also have bad allergies and I don't fair well around smoke (from cars, trucks, plants, etc). So I am not against doing the right thing. I am not against taking care of our home. What I am against is Rick Warren, and others, jumping on the enviromentalist bandwagon, promoting global warming as if it is a fact, and distracting Christians yet again. We just don't need that. We need to get back to the basics, back to the old-fashion Biblical Gospel and teaching. We need less of this popularism and more solid Bible doctrine. Less politics and more gospel. That is my point.

Martin.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Martin,

I don't think many here would disagree, but the reality for many is that stewardship of all God has given us is part of the Gospel. The premise proposed here is the same as if I went out and spent all of my money because the rapture was coming. That would obviously not be good stewardship and nor are many things we do as Christians. The Gospel consists of many different parts and although salvation is the most important, it doesn't mean other facts should not be presented. Nothing is worse then to hear people fighting over pants in Church or whether you should use a Casting Crowns song in a service, but then have no problem destroying the Earth. It is true that global warming is a theory, but there is nothing wrong with playing it safe until more information is presented. To say that Rick Warren is neglecting his duties as a pastor because he fights for the environment is like me saying that you are neglecting your duties by arguing about it on the internet. What’s worse Rick Warren protecting the environment or us arguing over Rick Warren protecting the environment?

13. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Steve Camp is either an idiot or a first class deceiver. Anyone with a basic grasp of the english language could read and see that Rick Warren did not write that and he is not spearheading any new environmental movement. He's simply a signator on a document that apparently he agrees with, which is well within his right to do so. I personally don't agree with the global warming theory, but I do think that stewardship of God's creation is a good thing.

I write a weekly devotional that gets read by a lot of people. If I ever reach the point that all I can find to write about is tearing down another pastor, I hope my friends will be kind enough to tell me it's time to shut up.

14. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Rick Warren preaches the Gospel. Period. End of story. He may not preach it in a manner that you like, but he preaches it. </font>[/QUOTE]You're right John. He does preach the gospel...the gospel of GREEN $$$. :rolleyes:

15. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Aaaaah....somebody with a little discernment on the issues....how refreshing.

16. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Martin. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Which begs this question:

Psalms 11
    3 If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?

17. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Martin.
    </font>[/QUOTE]
    If you are going to blast me, at least quote me correctly. I said YOUR requirements mean absolutely nothing to me, and what the Bible says about stewardship trumps YOUR requirements of what a good translation consists of.
    </font>[/QUOTE]==Without a solid translation what do you have? Nothing. Nothing at all. This is not about "my requirments of what a good translation consists of" this is about what a good translation is (ie...faithful to the autographs). If it does not meet that requirment then how can you call it a good translation/paraphrase?

Martin. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]If you take a look at Mr Warrens book, and his frantic attempt at version fishing to prove his theology, one would realize that Mr Warren would probably not recognize a good translation if he fell over it on the way to an enviromental summit. Maybe he should lead up a group to recycle the Message, The Good News Bible, and all of the other "translations" that he show cased in his book? Now THAT is something I could get behind [​IMG] .

18. guitarpreacher

19. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

I agree. Rick Warren's gospel of the green and his merchandising of the saints is boring, especially to those who have taken the time to look closely at the theology he promotes.

20. guitarpreacher

Actually, it's you.