1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rightly dividing???

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Benjamin, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (2Ti 2:15) Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

How do you define “rightly dividing” the word? Often I hear the phrase used in the definition of separating as in many pieces, some here- some there, grouping together phrases on one side or the other to fit ones theology.

Looking at the word in the Greek along with the compound and base the definition appears to lean toward meaning a decisive, straight cut into the Word as in a straight level upright single path into the Word and to be much more decisive and cleanly straight forward than the common perception of implying repeated blows or hacking into pieces.

As far as dissecting do you think it actually means to separate with multiple cuts or to cut cleanly with one straight into the Word and examine and analyze in detail without all the separating that many equate with the term “rightly dividing”?

G3718
    ὀρθοτομέω
    orthotomeō
    or-thot-om-eh'-o
    From a compound of G3717 and the base of G5114; to make a straight cut, that is, (figuratively) to dissect (expound) correctly (the divine message): - rightly divide.

G3717
    ὀρθός
    orthos
    or-thos'
    Probably from the base of G3735; right (as rising), that is, (perpendicularly) erect (figuratively honest), or (horizontally) level or direct: - straight, upright.

G5114
    τομώτερος
    tomōteros
    tom-o'-ter-os
    Compound of a derivative of the primary word τέμνω temnō (to cut; more comprehensive or decisive than G2875, as if by a single stroke; whereas that implies repeated blows, like hacking); more keen: - sharper.

2. standingfirminChrist

By letting scripture interpret scripture

3. preacher

preacher New Member

Thats part of it, comparing scripture with scripture. I would also say that is why He teaches us to meditate on His Word.
    Look at how the very teachings of God Himself are divided. Right down the middle. Good/Evil, Sin/Rightiousness, Life/Death, Love/Hate. I'm speaking of His thoughts, not ours or our interpertations. He only has two sides of every issue..it's right...or it's wrong. We, through the centuries have added, or subtracted instead of dividing.
    Think of it this way, you & a friend are both hungry. You have an apple, one apple. How to rightly divide it? Right down the middle, through the core. Both recieve equal amounts of the nutrients the apple has to offer. 2 people, 2 pieces. Each of you may eat it differently, even discard part, but it was rightly divided, you started with the exact same pieces. Not sure how good the analogy is but thats what came to me.

4. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Dissecting was a good way to look at it.
    It is not referring to a single passage of the Bible, but to the entirety of it.
    Remember the frogs in bio class?

You look at each part to see how it goes with all the others to make the whole thing function as a unit.

Actually, I should have just let standingfirm's post ride. He said it well.

MR

5. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Here are several translations for comparison.

(ASV) Give diligence to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, handling aright the word of truth.

(BBE) Let it be your care to get the approval of God, as a workman who has no cause for shame, giving the true word in the right way.

(CEV) Do your best to win God's approval as a worker who doesn't need to be ashamed and who teaches only the true message.

MR

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Albert Barnes:
    Rightly dividing the word of truth - The word here rendered “rightly dividing,” occurs nowhere else in the New Testament. It means, properly, “to cut straight, to divide right;” and the allusion here may be to a steward who makes a proper distribution to each one under his care of such things as his office and their necessities require;

Reminds me of when I was a kid and I divided a candy bar with my sister. When she was real little I could break the candy bar into two pieces of any size and give her the smaller one and she was okay with that. As she got older and noticed that my piece was bigger than hers I would bite off a portion of my piece until they were the same size and she was okay with that. As she got a little older she wanted to be the one who divided it but I wasn't willing to do that. Final outcome was that one would do the dividing and the other would choose which piece to get, exact fairness resulted. I think this verse has to do with making a fair and honest judgement of what the bible says without worrying whether it "fits" a preconcieved notion. Obey what it says and let the chips fall where they may. Context counts, this is just part and parcel of fair judgement.

[​IMG]

7. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Hebrews 4:12: For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

8. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know how to "wrongly divide" the word......
    Thomas Jefferson took out a pair of scissors and cut out the parts he disagreed with.

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

And TJ had MANY disciples, as we find today! :D :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll have to remember that. As a layman, I once tore apart an old inexpensive Bible is a message many years ago. Interestingly enough, if you tear out enough sections, in the right places, with the right binding, the remainder will finally just fall out, and you will be left holding just the cover for effect, should one care to try, sometime.
    After asking my own church if many were shocked at this (They WERE!! Can you believe that???), I then asked what was the difference?

I used three illustrations.

1.) I tore out sections of one of my own Bibles in a printed copy, and was left holding an empty shell. This I did, openly, for them to see.
    2.) We, by our lives and testimony, do the same thing, far too often, in how we live, leaving only a hollow shell for others to see.
    3.) Too many so-called self-styled 'scholars' do the same thing with their so-called 'critical scholarship' in our religious colleges and seminaries, leaving that same empty cover for the students to see, and they wind up preaching that empty shell for the church to see.

I suggest that the first does far less to 'hurt the Bible' than do the other two.

BTW, the best rendering of the verse is probably "cutting straight" as was rendered by Albert Barnes and cited above.

In His grace,
    Ed

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Its a powerful illustration, even over the computer. I can well see its effect when you are sitting right there watching.

11. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

THE FATHER
    THE SON
    THE HOLY GHOST

"Rightly Divided", explains the OT, the NT, The Rapture, The tribulations, The Mill Reign, The GWT Judgment, and Eternity.

"Rightly dividing" the "WORD" (God) explains "Everything".

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son,

12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was wondering when a true to heart dispensationalist would give their 2 cents. Seems you missed the point I was trying to make; this verse does not say the word is “rightly divided” as in ready to be chopped up with many cuts and put in the order you like and is certainly not justification for supporting the action; it is talking about how to examine and study the word as in making a straight single cut as if by a single stroke; it actually means the opposite of the implication of repeated blows, (like hacking). My point being the word “dividing” implies to cut into like in a straight clean path to study; it doesn’t have anything to do with dividing it into pieces, that is actually the opposite of what this phrase “rightly dividing” means. I think this verse has been grossly misinterpreted to support various systematic theologies at the roots.

[​IMG] Scripture in context please ;)

13. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

"All" scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable. If "all" means "all" then dispensationalists, such as I am, should not be feared. Neither should Reformers. Lets let the Bible be the Bible. I think the emphasis in this verse is on the word "rightly" as oppsed to wrongly.

14. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

I was wondering when a true to heart dispensationalist would give their 2 cents. Seems you missed the point I was trying to make; this verse does not say the word is “rightly divided” as in ready to be chopped up with many cuts and put in the order you like and is certainly not justification for supporting the action; it is talking about how to examine and study the word as in making a straight single cut as if by a single stroke; it actually means the opposite of the implication of repeated blows, (like hacking). My point being the word “dividing” implies to cut into like in a straight clean path to study; it doesn’t have anything to do with dividing it into pieces, that is actually the opposite of what this phrase “rightly dividing” means. I think this verse has been grossly misinterpreted to support various systematic theologies at the roots.

[​IMG] Scripture in context please ;)
    </font>[/QUOTE]Joh 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

"Rightly dividing" can also be applied in the sense of a butcher.

I also have an illustration in which I tear apart a Bible. (I usually get one from the dollar store, which is printed so small you can barely read it any way.)

So many preachers preach every message about salvation. The Church (and the church) is not for the lost; it's for those in the family. If we are to preach and teach on salvation in every message, then we just need to get rid of the rest (I tear out parts of it, until I am just left with one page: Acts 16), and then I tear down the page so that all I have left is verse 30 & 31, and say, "There, that's all we need to preach the message of salvation".

Most people get the point, but some get offended by the message, and many get offended by tearing up a book.

16. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Both of these Bible tearing ilustrations sound great...Just a thought though...next time you guys should pick up a NWT or a Liberal paraphrase for the illustration. The crowd won't no the difference and you will rid the world of one more spiritually dangerous document. [​IMG] :D

Max

17. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Everything earthly has a “flip” side. In the beginning, in Genesis 1:1, and then on God shows He is a God of division. We must find what He has divided in His Word, and bring it together. He is a God of division but in the end He brings back together again. There is no guesswork here, for when we correctly divide His Word out, it will fit perfectly when brought together.

We are to take (read and understand) the whole Bible as the Word of God, and it is one
    bible. Inside we see that it has “divisions” (could these be His dispensations?), and we progress from one to the other. By the time we finish and close the Bible, it is again one in completion.

When we start at the beginning of the book, then progress to the end without understanding His Word, we leave it in tatters. It is as we picked it up, a closed book and then we read, and then close it. I was a closed book when we picked it up, and it remains a closed book when we close it. Why is it a closed book to so many, with all those contradictions? Some think the gospel has always been the same.

Christian faith, ituttut

18. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey itittut,

I consider the dispensation of God to be something revealed, not something of "divisions" that's contrary to being whole.

I agree with you about progression if taken in the sense of things revealed, but division limits progression by having to make things fit thereby having to deny certain truths that won’t fit.

And BTW [​IMG] , the gospel (good news) of God has always been the same, salvation by grace through faith, the complete message of how this atonement was achieved through God in one gospel. I don’t see the reasoning behind “dividing” this good news to say these people are saved by this gospel and those by another gospel and the Gentiles by Paul’s gospel when it was God’s gospel from beginning to end achieved right according to plan, except for by dividing it one can force it to fit ones theology and thereby separate the Church and fit it into a desired system. I still contend that the cornerstone of dispensationalism of rightfully “dividing” isn’t even scriptural to begin with concerning the “dividing”; the cornerstone of the gospel is Jesus Christ in a completed promise from God before the foundation of the Earth for all that believe and have faith.

19. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Hey Benjamin. I find God dispenses help in the time of need. He did this as He revealed to those the dry land as He divided the Red Sea. We can clearly see a dispensation of God as He divides out Paul from all men, separating him from his own people, and the Gentiles, in order to reveal to Him His heavenly gospel. God dispensed His power in dividing the light from the dark, revealing the first day.

But, as example to make prophecy fit, wasn’t it necessary to “divide” prophecy? Jesus says in Matthew 11:13, ” For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.” John is revealed to man as God will be giving a gospel he will preach. God has separated John from the others of his people, and this separated one will preach the revealed gospel of “repent and be baptized for the remission of sins, to the nation of God." Now if God had not separated John out of prophecy, and revealed to John his gospel, could prophecy as prophesied of the forerunner of Jesus have been revealed. God separated out John as He gave John his dispensational gospel for the Jew of “repent and be baptized for the remission of their sins”. This is a new gospel now revealed for God has separated prophecy, and this revelation in God’s granting to the Jew His grace with their work, will allow progression to the next step, which of course leads to Jesus Christ. I believe that will hold water.
    Peter built on that foundation, as did Paul, but Paul tells us he will not build on top of another man's (Peter') foundation. Both foundations are on the same cornerstone. In the Temple are the Holy Place and the Most Holy Place

It doesn’t strike you odd that John the Baptist never preached the “good news” of the Cross, nor Jesus; Peter or the others. In Acts 2:38 Peter is still preaching the gospel of John the Baptist. This is the gospel the Catholic church believes. They believe they are extension of Peter and the church of James, the church of works. Is that the gospel we are to believe?

You know what the everlasting gospel of God is? I believe we see it in Revelation 14:6-7, ”And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7. Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.” At my young age of salvation, that was what brought me to believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for my salvation. I was afraid I would die and go to hell. It is so easy for us to look back, after having the benefit of the knowledge found after Damascus Road. Those then had no idea of the notion of coming through faith. But coming though the blood of Jesus Christ was an impossibility for the likes of Moses and David. They didn’t know by what name they would be saved, and they couldn’t come though Jesus’ blood, which had not been shed.

It is only after we read Paul that we understand our salvation, and how others were saved in the dispensation of God that they lived in, and what He revealed to them at time that they must believe, and do. We are separated from that Jewish Pentecostal church in this dispensation.
    As long as we believe His word as He dispenses it to us what you say is true. But King Saul did not have the gospel available to him that I have, so in that dispensation that is separated from ours, he could not be OSAS and sealed by the holy spirit into the Body of Christ. We must believe what God tells while we live for our salvation is Now, and not believe what he tells someone else on the other side of the Cross.

Christian faith, ituttut

20. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do we see a dispensation of division or the power of God’s grace toward all men being completed through His Glory. I will figure the capitalization of “Him His” was referring to God or a typo. I think it clear that Paul said it was to fulfill the Word of God (Col 1:25) that’s not division but completeness of that which was hid, Col 1:26 and further Paul got a little ticked at the mere thought of dividing the gospel:

(1Co 1:13-15) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.

It’s all part of God progressively revealing His plan of salvation on one foundation; I don’t see it as separating but building on. If I build a house of bricks on top of a foundation I wouldn’t divide the bricks in the plan but put them near as to assemble them all together.

Yes, but first Paul said he had “fully” preached the gospel of “Christ”. He won’t build upon the same foundation because he’s building another part but of the same house, one rock to build upon, one baptism consisting of faith; all did eat of the same spiritual meat, drink the same spiritual drink, faith in God’s promise of salvation by that Rock that was with them, Christ.

(1Co 10:1) Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;

(1Co 10:2) And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

(1Co 10:3) And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

(1Co 10:4) And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

No, not with the understanding it wasn’t time for the way (John 14:6) of atonement to be revealed yet; Jesus told others on several occasions not to tell anyone for good reason.

(1Co 2:8) Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Well, see the Catholics shouldn’t be dividing things like that either.

Yes, that lines up well with the one gospel made before the foundation of the world, a promise from the Father to the Son, the Creator, that every “every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people”, will hear the good news and every knee shall bow.

Amen, great, doesn’t this show the beauty of God’s plan to have that veil removed, (2Co 3:14) But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same veil untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which veil is done away in Christ.

You don’t think they thought the blood of bulls and goats saved them do you?

But they were to come through Jesus’ shed blood, He set the captives free.

Okay with that.

I would say we were brought together under one complete gospel. Why separate? You just quoted that the everlasting gospel was for all in Rev 14:6-7.

Wouldn’t he be sealed by faith in the promise and hope in something not seen similar to us.

(Rom 8:21) Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

(Rom 8:22) For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

(Rom 8:23) And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

(Rom 8:24) For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

Granted the HS came to them in different ways.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God which we believe on that it is the truth and we today glory in the good news that has been fully revealed to us and are obedient to that just like they were obedient to what was revealed to them.