1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Riplinger the Faux Linguist

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Dec 29, 2013.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an excellent essay on Riplinger's "linguistic" theories. (The quotes there mean there is nothing at all linguistic about Gail R. :p)--
    http://watch.pair.com/TR-1-textus-receptus.html
    Note that I am not recommending the website as a whole, not knowing much else about it other than this article. But the author does a good job of exposing the secular thinkers behind Riplinger's theories.

So the Margaret Magnus that Riplinger thinks so much of is a weird unbeliever who thinks that letters have spirits in them. The other one she depends a lot on is Isaac Mozeson, who has come up with a weird theory he calls Edenics, which is the idea that all languages come from Hebrew, which he says was the language of Adam and Eve. He is a literature prof, not a linguist (though Riplinger calls him one), and all he and his cohorts do to prove their theory is find similar sounds in similar words in different languages. (I got a real kick out of the supposed Japanese parallels in Edenics. :laugh:) The Edenics "scholars," however, miss a minor point, which is that grammar is incredibly different in different languages! Guess what: God really did mix up the languages at Babel!

A few examples of how different grammar can be: Japanese has no articles; Chinese has no verb tenses; Japanese and Chinese both use particles to indicate possession, but English and Greek use word endings for possession, though in a very different way; Greek and English have infinitives, but Asian languages usually do not; Japanese word order always has the verb last--always, but Indo-European languages seldom do, except for Latin, which often does. So with all of these differences (and many more), it is about as likely that all languages came from the same source as that apples grow on banana trees! Riplinger resorts to some bizarre people for her theories!

#21 John of Japan, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
  2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

GET RIGHT OUT TOWN! You're out of line, chain-puncher!
    :)

Happy New Year, brother.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back at ya, JKD dude! :wavey::wavey:

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. Kurecki, I agree with everything you said above.

She has some writing and speaking ability, which she uses to milk the KJVO cash cow. Well, Hitler had great speaking ability & his homeboy Goebbels had good writing ability. But when it came to REAL knowledge and COMMON SENSE...

And she deliberately butchers quotes of other authors with her use of ellipses to make'em read something entirely-different from the actual complete quote.. 'Tis a wonder she hasn't been sued into a cardboard box.

She threatened to sue Waite because she lied to him & Mrs. Waite over her marriages & divorces, and Waite caught her lies and exposed them.

She's made herself one of the darlings of the lecture circuit, commanding hefty fees for her speaking engegements.

And, ALL her stuff, both written & oral, is as fulla goofs as a panel of contestants on Celebrity Jeopardy.

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Riplinger's "cut-and-paste" citations[?] reminds me of how some atheist tried to PROVE from the Bible that God does not exist:

BOTH Psalm 14:1 AND 53:1 clearly state that, "....there is no God....Therefore, God does not exist!

(Of course, that atheist merely only quoted a portion of those two verses and left out the rest of what those verses state! :smilewinkgrin:)

6. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

"I'll take SWORDS for four-hundred."

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is one place where Riplinger gives an example of what she means when she speaks of finding the meaning of a word exclusively through the KJV, without lexicons or dictionaries: http://www.hacalumni.com/howtodefineaword.shtml

Note first of all her statement, "Linguists do not define words; they simply demonstrate how they are used in various contexts." To see how ridiculous this statement is, simply keep reading: " Dictionaries are therefore descriptive, not prescriptive. The unique context of a writer or a speaker identifies which 'definition' (linguists would never use the word 'definition' ) of the sometimes several definitions a word may have." So linguists don't define, but dictionaries give definitions? Huh? And a linguist would never use the word definition? Oh, really? :tongue3:

In the first place, the proper word for those who compile dictionaries is lexicographer, not linguist. Lexicography is a separate discipline from linguistics, and a lexicographer may not know linguistic theory, or even another language! This is one more proof that Riplinger does not know language, is not a linguist nor even a lexicographer, nor is she even familiar with basic knowledge in either field.

It would take several more long posts to take apart this essay by Riplinger. We'll see if I want to do that. Let me point out something basic though. She is somewhat right about how a linguist or lexicographer defines a word. The process includes examining the contemporary usage of a word--that is, the way the word is used at the time it is being examined. For NT Greek this means examining how the word is used in the Greek NT itself as well as in the secular world of the day. You know, lost people read the Bible, so it is important to know how it communicates to them. The Bible is not in some special spiritual language that only Christians can understand.

So, in light of this, here is a huge mistake Riplinger is making in the linked essay. She is advocating using 21st American English to understand and define the words in the King James! Here is a key error of many who love the KJV as I do: they try to understand it in the light of modern English instead of 1611 British English. The word "mansion" in John 14:2 is a key example of this. In 17th century Britain it simply meant a dwelling place. A friend objected to my Japanese rendering in this passage until I pointed out the fact that the Japanese loan word manshon (マンション), coming from British and not American English, means a nice apartment!

#27 John of Japan, Jan 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2014
  8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She is not trained, nor qualified in the field of textual criticism/linguistics, period, so ANYTHING she has ever wrote concerning the versions of the bible and the Kjv came froma very uniformed lay person!

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, she is not trained or qualified in textual criticism or linguistics. It is possible to train yourself in these disciplines, so I don't reject out of hand someone just because they are not formally trained. William Pierpont, co-editor of the Byzantine Textform Greek NT, was self-trained in both Greek and textual criticism. (The other editor, Dr. Maurice Robinson, has a PhD in textual criticism.) Many others who have their degrees in Greek have become credible textual critics, such as Dr. David Alan Black, who has written a good basic book on textual criticism. The caveat here is that in order to train one's self in textual criticism, one has to learn Greek first, making it a doubly hard discipline to self-train in.

Having said, that, Gail Riplinger is a fake pretending to be a linguist and textual critic, when she doesn't even have basic knowledge in either discipline.

I have seen what it took for my son to become a PhD in NT Greek linguistics: a BA, MA, MDiv, and then a huge amount of work for the PhD, not to mention various articles published in the journals and his dissertation being published soon. He's a genuine liguist by anyone's standard. (Not to mention fluency in Japanese and knowledge of Hebrew, German and French.) For my own part, as I said earlier: two years full time studying Japanese, over 3000 hours of formal study, not counting hundreds of hours on my own after that. So I resent someone like Riplinger claiming to be a linguist simply because she taught English as a 2nd language for a short while. She is arrogant in the extreme.

#29 John of Japan, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
  10. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

John, listen, cooking McNuggets makes one a chef. Ergo, Riplinger is a linguist for TESL. Ponder THAT ONE, sir. And embrace the truth.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got it! And she can also probably cook sashimi (raw fish). :laugh:

12. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

without rice. I use left-handed scissors....therefore, I can prepare fugu.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really! I'm impressed. :thumbs: That takes a special license over here, as you probably know, and is very expensive. So I haven't ever had it--as far as I know. I've had many UFOs though (Unidentified Frying Objects), as well as the UROs (Unidentified Raw Objects). Japan has some strange dishes.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who knows how long I could go with this. There are so many statements from Riplinger proving how little she actually knows about linguistics. On her website she advertises her new book by saying, "The King James Bible gives a transparent view of the Greek and Hebrew vocabulary, grammar and syntax" (https://shop.avpublications.com/product_info.php?products_id=100).

This statement is patently ridiculous for several reasons. First of all, syntax (sentence structure) is part of grammar, not some separate subject. Secondly, you can't get a "transparent view" of the vocabulary of the original from a translation. (For example, the word for "church" in the KJV has a different range of meaning from the Greek word ekklesia.) Finally, Riplinger doesn't know Greek or Hebrew (as she has admitted on a radio show), so how would she know!?! :tongue3:

15. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

is it like reading one of Ashida Kim's ninjitsu books? Same feel?

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alex Trebek:"Answer_This sword was used by King Arthur."

Joe Actor: "What is the M-16?"

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To answer your Q , last sentence of your post:

She read the worx of Dr. Ben Wilkinson, J. J. Ray, and Dr. D. O. Fuller, the founders of the current KJVO myth.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is interesting is that she keeps on parroting the 'truths' that all greek txts but the TR are corrupted and had been changed by purpose, and yet NO evidence for that exists, and the 'evil"versdions such as nasb and Niv that dared to use the 'corrupted CT text" actually at times translated the Deity for jesus stronger then the Kjv team did using the "perfect' TR text!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting for her explanation as to just how if there were any errors between the greek and hebrew texts used and the Kjv, use the english renderings to correct original languages!

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You hit the nail on the head! :laugh: