Roles of women

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by kdm1984, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 2:10 but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.

Here the idea is no different from the guidance given to men, we should all walk the talk. Good works here is not necessarily utilitarian actions, like preparing dinner or washing clothes, but rather deeds in accordance with the will of God, which could be praying or witnessing.

2. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 2:11: A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. (NASB)

Here we have a number of difficulties:

1) Woman appears to apply to all women, not just wives.
    2) Quietly refers to not raising a commotion, causing a fuss, etc. It does not necessary indicate women many not verbally participate.
    3) Receive instruction refers to any process where the person gains in knowledge.
    4) Entire (pas) here indicates fully. Thus not in the least quarrelsome.
    5) Submissiveness refers to being obedient, and here based on context, the idea is to be fully obedient to the instructions of God.

Bottom line, this guidance can be applied both to men and women.

3. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 2:12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.

Not to teach?
    Not to teach children?
    Not to teach other women?
    Not to teach (command) men?
    Not to teach (persuade) men?

Here, 1 Timothy 2:12 the word translated teach has the meaning of teach authoritatively, like Jesus, Peter and Paul. Like all teachers of the word today, we teach persuasively (i.e. this is the way I see it) but not authoritatively (like an inspired prophet). Even so, this verse would seem to preclude ladies from holding a position within the church that dictates doctrine.

Another point has to do with contradicting (undercutting) someone in authority publicly. Thus if a head of a family publicly proclaims such and such is so, then it would take a team (man and women) to intervene privately to correct and rebuke. Thus women should not create a commotion or fuss publicly when men blunder with the word.

Anyway, that is the very least I see this verse as saying. :)