1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rollcall: Challenge for Preachers!

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Bartimaeus, May 20, 2004.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Daniel,

The king was the authority in the monarchy. And the south did secede from the union and formed their own country. Either way, submission to government was lacking.

2. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Well I am glad we had REAL men in the pulpit during the Revolutionary War. Sounds like some of the ones we have here would still like to be under the King.

The South was tired of their rights being violated and they decided to challenge the federal government. They did it right and left the north to begin a new government. DD, if the south had had pepto-bismol they would have won. That is past history and the civil war is over. We are all Americans and we have to right to stand up against wrong doing in this country. If you don't then take the flag out of your churches and quit singing the star spangle banner and quit saying the pledge. I love Jesus more than I live this country and I will follow Him and do His work. I will help protect my church, my family and my country from the enemy from without and from within.

3. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Real men obey Scripture rather than bow to pressure from others. I am not the least bit concerned with what you think someone should have done. I am greatly concerned with obeying Scripture.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jailminister - Texas, when it joined the Union voluntarily, was granted the authority to leave the Union if they found it not to their liking.

Sadly, Lincoln violated that agreement, too.

Take the debate to the history forum. We have a good thread going on the civil war - let's add one on rebelling against the duly established government in 1776 and trying to justify it!

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Nobody is answering my question :( .

I reiterate my question. If we agree that Christians have the right to disobey the state, who becomes the authority? Who decides which laws I can disobey? Is it up to me? My pastor?

As above, do Muslims have the same right to decide which laws they feel are constitutional? How about Satanists? How about a cult which uses drugs as part of their "worship"?

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let everyone do that which is right in his own eyes.

HankD

7. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

C4K, We have a right and obligation to be part of the solution. In the Old Testament, we had prophets that advised the kings on what to do. The Church has been the lighthouse for this nation. It just appears that the lighthouse is being torn down now.

PL, You are right. That is why I obey God.
    1Titus 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church is a lighthouse for government?

Sure Paul was . . before he got the axe. Would like to see chapter/verse for that concept.

9. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Did I say "government". I believe I said nation. Now the people who are serving in the government are part of the nation, so I guess you could take it that way.
    Luke 1:79 To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

10. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Do you all disagree with this statement from the Unanimous Declaration and also believe it to be in direct opposition to scriptural commands?
    "That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."
    Thanks -----Bart

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just try to make that sync with Romans 13:1-7.

One says GOD is in control and we should be subject to even the most vile government.

Other says MAN is in control to find happiness in government.

Hmmmm

12. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Bro. Bob, it is not a matter of fighting against God, it is a matter of standing with God.

Psalms 94:16 Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity.

13. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

God's Word does not contradict itself and the prohet Ezekiel has something to say about you men who believe in the divine right of Kings.

Ezek 46:16-18
    16 Thus saith the Lord GOD; If the prince give a gift unto any of his sons, the inheritance thereof shall be his sons'; it shall be their possession by inheritance.
    17 But if he give a gift of his inheritance to one of his servants, then it shall be his to the year of liberty; after it shall return to the prince: but his inheritance shall be his sons' for them.
    18 Moreover the prince shall not take of the people's inheritance by oppression, to thrust them out of their possession; but he shall give his sons inheritance out of his own possession: that my people be not scattered every man from his possession.
    There you go. GOD ORDAINED LIMITED GOVERNMENT. This is not the only place in scripture that the Lord gives us example. Now you must rectify your exegesis of Rom 13 with Ezekiel without a compromise.
    Thanks ------Bart

14. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Sorry about the misspelled words above gents, my moment to edit was superceded by my attention to my wife. By the time I got back to it, my post was written in stone.
    Thanks ------Bart

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Why do you assume that Ezek 46 has anything to do with current government practices? It is about the messianic kingdom.

Why do you assume that believers have a right to disobey God just because someone else does (assuming your interpretation is correct ... which is highly suspect)?

The bottom line is that you are to obey God no matter what anyone else does. Their disobedience does not excuse you. So Ezek does not support you, even if it says what you think it says, something you have not even begun to prove yet.

16. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

My point was that God limits governments just as He does the Home and the Church. Your current position is as I understand it that God does not limit government. Is that so?

Thanks -------Bart

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

My point is not that God doesn't limit government. My point is that 1) God never says he limits government; 2) God does say that believers are to be in subjection to government and he gives no exception; 3) there is not one single NT reference that supports a Christian rebelling against government about something other than a biblical command.

I don't konw what you mean by "God limit ... the Home and the Church." Limits them to what??

18. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

PL. so I guess using your thought processes we just need to rip the Old Testament out of our bibles. OK here goes. RRRRIIIIPPPPP. That was easy. Now I agree with you.

19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

If you used my thought processes you would think nothing of the kind. All Scripture, including the OT is inspired and profitable. You don't need to misrepresent my position and ripping the OT out of your Bible won't help my position. You simply need to understand the OT in its context and purpose. It was not written about America.

20. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

You get my point. I did not rip it out and would not do any good if I did. It is still there. Maybe the way we all need to look at this is tied up in the word "allegiance". I believe you are saved and I pray you believe I am too. My allegiance is to Christ first. I try to obey the laws, but unfortunately we have judges and representatives that hate God's word. We all should strive to witness to them and pray for them that they get their hearts right with God.