1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans 11: Identify the Olive Tree

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by J.D., Feb 15, 2010.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

"Where two or three are gather in my name, there I am in the midst". When someone is "disfellowshiped" from the Church, they are ostensibly disfellowshipped from God. That is the "correlation" between the invisible God and His visible Church.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree that disfellowship from the church (officially) organizationally and formally is supposed to symbolize disfellowship from God - but as we know in the dark ages - when the Catholic church excommunicated the saints and then killed them - those saints were not in fact dissfellowshipped from God - though they were separated from a visible organization.

But in the case of the Romans 11 group of unbelieving Jews that "fell due to unbelief" we are not talking about their having been Christians nor is the text saying that the Jewish leaders had disfellowshipped unbelieving Jews. (The official organization was in fact disfellowshipping any Christian that dared to confess Christ.)

Paul asks in Romans 3:1-3 "What advantage is there to being a literal Jew" and then answers "great in every respect" - followed by a list of blessings given to the Jews.

Christ said that the kindgdom would be "taken from them" and given to someone else who WOULD honor and obey the Word of God.

But specific to Romans 11 - the reason that has to be invisible is that "He who did not spare them" is not a reference to any form of formal organizational person-by-person disfellowship action not by the Jewish "nation church" and not be the Apostolic "persecuted church".

in Christ,

Bob