1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans 5:13

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Clint Kritzer, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do I take this verse to mean that there was no accountability for sin as there was no Law at the time? Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed during this period. It was somewhere between 500 and 1500 years ( I think )! Many, many events happened during this time. We also know that Enoch was taken to Heaven because he walked with God (Genesis 5:24). Any thoughts all you theologians?

- Clint

[ March 07, 2002, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

2. born@35

born@35 New Member

It seems to me that what might be intended here is that God does not hold people accountable for an action for which He has not explicity provided guidance, even if in His Eyes it is sinful(how can mere man understand right from wrong with out God's guidance first anyway?). Adam had been given a "law" and broke it and thus entered sin. God then between the time of Creation and Mt. Sinai introduces many a law to His chosen people. He then produces The Law in writing at Mt. Sinai to pass along to all peoples so that all may have the opportunity to choose to be righteous and holy in the eyes of the Lord. Thus bringing about personal accountability for our relation with the Lord.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 26:5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

The words "my statutes and my laws" are the standard words (Torah and Mitzvoth) used in Judaism today for parts of the written Word of God.

Perhaps the commandments, statutes and laws were written down and kept by the Hebrew patriarchs.

Obviously it was not the Pentateuch since it spans beyond Abraham's life.

Also the 613 mitzvoth of the "Torah" might have been developing along with the revelation of God since at this time Abraham was married to his half-sister which is forbidden in the Pentateuch.

HankD

[ March 08, 2002, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: HankD ]

4. DocCas

DocCas New Member

I hate to be picky (well, no I don't) but there are 603 Mitzvot (Commandments) in addition to the 10 Devarim (words) inscribed on the tablets. [​IMG]

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear Tom,

Check this out:

http://judaism.about.com/library/intro/bl_intro_c.htm

In any case, what do you think about the hypothesis that there was a developing written and/or oral tradition of the elements of the "Torah" and "Mitzvoth" pre-Moses?

HankD

[ March 08, 2002, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: HankD ]