1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans 7, understanding Romans 7 from Ephesians chapter 2.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Romans7man, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

Many see Romans 7 as a saved man because they see chapter 7 being in a line of progression, in chronological order of going from depravity (1:18-3:20), to saved by faith (3:21-6:23), to struggling (7), to victory (8).

It is because chapter 7 is so far removed from the depravity of man in 1:18-3:20 they don't make the connection. But as we will see from Ephesians 2 Paul uses the same train of thought as he did in Romans. It's not exact, but it is so close I believe it can be used to defend my interpretation of how I see Romans 7 as a lost man.

Ephesians 2:1-3, the depravity of man in sin. This can be compared to Romans 1:18-3:20.

Ephesians 2:4-10, the gospel. This can be compared to Romans 3:21-7:6.

Ephesians 2:11 and 12, looking back. As is Romans 7 so far removed from 1:18-3:20, this to is far removed from the depravity mentioned in Ephesians 2:1-3. So this can be compared to Romans 7, remembering our former life to make a contrast to our new life in Christ.

Ephesians 2:13-22, just as we have the promises of overcoming sin, by walking in the Spirit, in Romans 8, here we have the promises of God through Christ in Ephesians 2:13-22

Ephesians 2:1-3, lost condition.
    Ephesians 2:4-10, The gospel. (present tenses)
    Ephesians 2:11 and 12, remembering (past tense)
    Ephesians 2:13-22, moving forward (present tense)