1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans 8-11: Does it support Calvinism?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I'm starting the thread...

Let's begin with a simple question. When Paul says, "I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy and I will hardened whom I will harden."

Who do you suppose Paul is speaking about? Who are those he shows mercy? Who are those who he hardens?

Are they individual chosen to be saved, the elect and the individual not chosen, the reprobate? Is that the way you interpret this passage?

2. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Short answer...no.

3. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Short answer..... maybe?

I think I'll go with no. :wavey:

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The Bible does not support Calvinism nor Arminianism exclusively, although certain aspects of both are supported (and certain aspects denied).

5. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Then why don't we forget Calvinism and Arminianism? How about we just get back to the Bible?

BTW, why is it that anyone who is a non-Calvinist is an Arminian? That is silly.

1 Corinthians 1:12-17 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Anyone going to answer the question? Who is Paul talking about?