1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Romans 8:8

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by The Biblicist, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats inconsequential.....the fact of the matter is that BIB did not call anyone on this forum a Heretic.....and a lier as was implied.

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

So, let's take the last time you sinned. Were you able to 'escape' that temptation and the 'fallen nature' by faith and "yield" to the Holy Spirit, or not? If not, why not? If so, why didn't you?

3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What I don't understand is where was the Reverend since I have been reinstated and completely avoided any offensive rhetoric in my posts but yet others have used ridicule and inferences of stupiity toward me and he is as quiet as a mouse, but when I simply draw a defining line that MIGHT apply but is never applied by me to anyone then out of nowhere he emerges with the attack dogs to be unleashed on me??? Some obvious inequity here?

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I sin every day, every minute of the day without stop as I am ALWAYS coming short of the glory of God - sins of omission, I NEVER measure up to the sinless standard of God's righteousness.

In regard to willful sin, yes I was able to avoid it by immediately confessing my own COMPLETE AND UTTER INABILITY to avoid it and by immediately fleeing like a scared rabbit to the Lord for help. His mercy sustained me, upheld me and I gave him the full glory knowing fully well in and of myself I AM TOTALLY AND UTTERLY UNABLE to resist or conqueor anything that is a real temptation.

#64 The Biblicist, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh you must mean like the inequity of the silence by cals on this board when John of Japan was so viciously attacked just in the last few days by a cal. By the way I have defended folks on both sides of the isle on this board at one time or another. There was an occasion even recently. So your implication of me here is unfounded. I do not see every post.

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Ok, I can accept that explanation. No one but God is omnipresent.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    are these questions, cross examination questions Scan? ......ah, never-mind ....I withdraw the question.

But now Im curious about this, do you not view the HS as enough to thwart the adversary?

8. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

You'll have to try much harder to get that thing rolling, he said nothing of the sort. :wavey:

9. Skandelon

If you were able to avoid it and flee to the Lord for help, why didn't you? You were granted the ability to do otherwise but you didn't, and I'm wondering why you didn't. What stopped you? Did God not give you all that was needed for you to resist? OR did you just freely choose to sin despite God's provisions?

10. Skandelon

Guys, Please don't change the topic of the thread. Handle this through PMs or you can report the post by pushing the little red and black triangle in the top right corner of a post. I'm not the moderator of this forum and while I agree that "both sides" step over the line, this is not the way to handle it.

11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I am somewhat confused by your response here. Are you sure you correctly understood what I said? I said that I did avoid sinning but not due to my own ability but rather by admitting I had no such ability and yeilding to the ability of the Holy Spirit to prevent me from sinning.

12. Skandelon

And I asked, regarding the last time you willfully sinned, "If you were able to yield and flee to the Lord for help, why didn't you?"

13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Ok, I misunderstood your question. I thought you asked what happened the last time I was tempted to sin rather than the last time I sinned.

The last time I intentionally sinned, I yeilded to the flesh and allowed the law of indwelling sin to operate in my mind and when the law of sin is operating freely in the mind there can only be one possible outcome - sin.

If we are praying without ceasing we will not be caught off guard. I apparently was not maintaining a yeilded walk with the Lord and therefore I fell.

14. Skandelon

No problem...it happens.
    But you were able at that time to yield to the spirit, right? You just chose one over the other, correct?

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent point.....you just taught me something.:thumbs:
    Thanks

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

Biblicist's view is nonsense.

If a person is truly enslaved to sin before he is regenerated, he would ALWAYS without exception do the very worst thing he could do.

If a person can choose the lesser of two evils, then he is not enslaved to sin.

I also disagree with Biblicists (but to be fair, practically all Christians) view that Romans 7:14-25 is spoken from the perspective of a born again Christian.

First, Paul said he is sold under sin in verse 14. No Christian is sold under sin, we have been made free from sin, we have been bought by Jesus Christ himself, we have been redeemed.

Paul said he has been brought into captivity to the law of sin in verse 25. No Christian is captive to the law of sin, Paul clearly says the Spirit has made him free free from the law of sin and death in Romans 8:2.

Paul never mentions the Holy Spirit in chapter 7, not once, but immediately in chapter 8 begins to repeatedly speak of the Spirit.

So, I believe Paul is speaking from the perspective of an unconverted Jew under the law in Romans 7:14-25.

If so, it shows that man is more than simply flesh, he is also the mind, or spirit, which can be absolutely willing to obey God, though it faces continual resistance by the flesh. Being captive to the law of sin simply means the moment you sin you are condemned to death (the wages of sin is death).

See Adam Clarkes commentary on this passage;

#76 Winman, Dec 12, 2013
  17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

No, it was not a matter of choice. When you are not in a yeilded position you are already "in the flesh" by default and you are sinning. The Christian walk is a "conscious" yeilded condition whereas living after the flesh takes no conscious decision at all but rather just slipping into neutral or taking your conscious eye off the ball.

#77 The Biblicist, Dec 12, 2013
  18. Skandelon

You're avoiding the question....

When you sinned you failed to yield, and seek the help of the Spirit, but YOU COULD HAVE. Why didn't you?

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I am not avoiding the question. A conscious decision to yeild is necessary to operate in the realm of the Spirit however, simple failure to consciously yeild to the Spirit automatically places you in the realm of the flesh as the automatic default. Any conscious decision to sin cannot occur while under the leadership of the Spirit and so willful sin can only occur after slipping back into the flesh. Conscious yeilding to the Spirit is the only preventive for operating in the flesh.

#79 The Biblicist, Dec 12, 2013
  20. Skandelon

But, that is not answering the question brother....please hear me out. If you COULD have chosen to yield, which you already said was possible...even above you say, "a conscious decision to yield is necessary." BUT the last time you sinned willingly, you didn't make that choice to yield, but you COULD HAVE...why didn't you?

You say, "Conscious yeilding to the Spirit is the only preventive for operating in the flesh," so why didn't you do that the last time you sinned? Why didn't you yield and 'prevent operating in the flesh?'

#80 Skandelon, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.