1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans 9

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by glad4mercy, Apr 24, 2018.

1. glad4mercy

glad4mercy Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 9:1-5- This chapter deals with the difficult fact that even though the promises were to the Jews first and the Gospel was sent to the Jews first, many who were Jews after the flesh were rejecting the Gospel, and therefore not being saved.

Romans 9:6-9 Paul replies to this dilemna by explaining that not all those who are physical Israelites are true Israelites (see Romans 2:28-29), and that the promise was not to according to physical descent (from Abraham). In fact, it is based on promise received by faith. (See Romans 4)

In Isaac shall your seed be called. Abraham had many sons, but only Isaac was the child of promise. So Election and adoption is not based on physical descent, but rather on a spiritual promise

Romans 9:10:13- Isaac had two sons by Rebecca. One was chosen, the other rejected. Isaac was not chosen based on anything he had done, but was chosen before birth.

Romans 9:14-16- Election is not based on our works, our willingness, or our running. It is based on God who shows mercy

Romans 9:14-21 On some people, God graciously bestows mercy, and others He judicially and righteously hardens. This is God's Divine prerogative, and we are not to question the Judge of all the earth, who will infallibly do what is right.

Romans 9:22-29-God is calling both Jews and Gentiles, showing mercy on All who repent and believe the Gospel

Romans 9:30-33- who does God mercy and who does He harden. He shows mercy to the ones who receive (imputed) righteousness by faith. He rejects and resists those who try to come to Him in their own righteousness, the Law, or their own merits.

Those who seek to approach God on their own merit or the Law do so because their eyes have been blinded either by the God of this world, by a judicial blinding by God, or both.

Those who are blind will never see unless God mercies them and opens their eyes.

God opens eyes and hearts (mercies) as (where and when ) He sees fit

The Jews that were mercied came under the shelter of their Messiah. Those who were hardened rejected the chief cornerstone and continued to try to vainly establish their own righteousness by the Law

It is written in another place, today if you will hear His voice, harden not your hearts...

#1 glad4mercy, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say that's a pretty good summary. :Cool

When I read it, that's about what I get. The only thing I'd add, is that from my reading of other Scriptures, Isaac represents a "type", in that he represents the promise of eternal life by faith to all them that believe, and to all God has chosen from the foundation of the world ( Ephesians 1:3-14 ).

Also, there's this:

" For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
    23 But he [who was] of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman [was] by promise.
    24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
    25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
    26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all." ( Galatians 4:22-26 )

Comparison:

Verses 23 and 24 tell of one that was of the "bondwoman" ( a type signifying the Law ), "born after the flesh"...the natural man who receives not the things of the Spirit of God ( 1 Corinthians 2:14 ), and compares him to the one "born of the freewoman", "by promise", which I take to mean the promise of righteousness by faith, he that is spiritual ( 1 Corinthians 2:16 ).

Sinai, the mother of all the devil's children, and Jerusalem, the mother of all God's children.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1