1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans Chapter 7

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by SpiritualMadMan, May 8, 2006.

1. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Matt,

From the American Heritage Dictionay:
    an·ti·no·mi·an·ism n. 1. Theology. The doctrine or belief that the Gospel frees Christians from required obedience to any law, whether scriptural, civil, or moral, and that salvation is attained solely through faith and the gift of divine grace. 2. The belief that moral laws are relative in meaning and application as opposed to fixed or universal.

Yes and No. :D

My stance is that you are either under Law or Grace...

I have steadfastly stated that Grace has far higher requirements than any written code...

And, Grace fully contains a superset of The true Law (that which is untouched by human tinkering. [​IMG] )

To amplify...

Paul says that all things are lawful, but not all things are expedient...

So, technically speaking, I can drive 100 down the interstate...

That is surely not going to be expedient if there is a sharp curve in the road, other traffic or a radar cop...

And, besides that it's just plain dumb...

And, Paul makes a point in another place that the Civil Authorities do not bear the sword in vain...

Try telling that radar cop (or EMS as they scrape you off the road) that it was perfectly legal under God to do such a thing...

This also applies in the case where the Civil Authorities tell you not to evangelize in Jesus Name or conduct a non-violent protest at an abortion clinic...

It may be permissible under God... It may even be directed under God... But, if you do it the Civil Authorities will prosecute you...

In Paul's day they beat the Disciples Unmercifully for speaking in Jesus Name...

They did God's Will, but they violated Pauls (later) 'law' about obeying authority...

They suffered the consequence of Civil Law for doing God's Will...

But, they captured God's Smile for doing so...

Hope I haven't totally confused you? :D

I guess the point I keep trying to make is that you have to Start in the Spirit; Walk in The Spirit and Finish in The Spirit...

Adding any other requirement negates Grace...

I don't do things contained in the Law to be Saved, Justified or made Righteous...

I do lawful things because I *have* been Saved; made Righteous, and been Justified...

It's who I am...

Get the order right... You Live

Get the order wrong... You Perish

SMM

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Though I have found SMM to be doctrinally incorrect on a number of Bible issues when his traditions are evaluated "Sola scriptura" I have to agree with him on this point.

And here is proof of just "how clear" the Bible is on the subject of the saints under obligation to "keep the commandments of God".

Instead of “less obedience” to each commandment of Christ the Creator – God calls for “more”.

Instead of “less obedience” to each commandment of Christ the Creator – God calls for “more”. No wonder Paul says --
    So lets see. The law will not change in even the minutest way, till heaven and earth pass. Anyone who breaks the law, and teaches others to do so, will be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. Thinking about committing sin is now just like actually committing the sin. Ah, the law has been magnified. Christ came and fulfilled the law, observing all of it’s commands, even in thought, not just action.

Yes, lets let the scriptures speak for themselves.
    Christ quotes from the 3rd commandment for the statement above.

Christ said that HIS commandment and the Father’s Commandment are one and the same
    Notice that John promotes this theme not only with his recording the pre-cross statements of Christ the hCreator – but also the post –cross teaching.
    Christ condemns those who would break the Commandments of God for the sake of man-made tradition –
    Christ’s followers continue to keep the Sabbath commandment after His command that they should “Love Me and Keep My Commandments” John 14:15 (quoting from the 3rd commandment in Exodus 20)
    Why do the Gospel writers take such care to teach us what Christ commanded them?

Notice that John does not try to “divide God” as if God’s commandments are not Christ’s

As for Law and Grace -- Pauls words in Romans 2:13-16 come to mind relative to "justification".

Here the "New Covenant" promise of the "Law written on the heart" is clearly seen.

Is it any wonder that Paul writes

And James 2 tells us to live and act as those "Who are to be judged by God's Law of Liberty".

God is not "calling for rebellion against His Law" as many Christians today "suppose".

Nor is He "abolishing His law" so that only the lost are guilty of breaking it - but the saved can freely transgress and in fact are commanded not to regard it at all. Rather God declares that the name of God is profaned among the wicked by the breaking of His law among the saints. (in Romans 2)

==================================================

But some have argued that these saints under persecution keeping God’s commandments are a select few – and not really the larger group – of all Christians – in God’s planning. Is that true?

Isaiah 66 makes it clear regarding the “New Heavens and New Earth” also identified in Rev 20 -- “From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL Mankind come before Me to Worship”

How can Christ the Creator call for ALL mankind to honor Sabbath as a day of Worship like that in the New Earth? Surely the Sabbath will NOT be for all mankind since in fact it WAS only for the Jews – correct?

Christ the Creator addresses the point head-on

“The Sabbath WAS MADE for Mankind” Mark 2:27

From the very “making” of Christ the Creator’s Holy Day – it was “made for Mankind”

Ok – so “when did Christ the Creator MAKE it?”

Notice - Christ the Creator gave mankind the 7-day week in Gen 2:3. For it was ” Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made”. A 7-day week - not a 6-day week for mankind. Christ the Creator makes his holy 7th day memorial of His creative action in making mankind – “for mankind” when he MAKES it “holy” – sanctified in Gen 2:3 before the fall of mankind.

When God speaks directly to His people in Exodus 20 and summarizes that same Gen 1-2:3 event notice what Christ the Creator says of His own Holy day – Made Holy at HIS making of this planet and life on this planet – and mankind.

Exodus 20:8-11 summary of the Creation week "event" shows it to have been made holy, sanctified and blessed by virtue of God’s own act of resting – that “alone” is given as the basis for the command. The commandment is in the format “Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy…For in Six days God…. Therefore He Blessed, sanctified and made holy the Seventh day”.

Here it is in full as – God framed it at Sinai speaking directly to the People of God, He said

</font>[/QUOTE]To those who enjoy glossing over the details in these texts of scripture I would just say "enjoy!"

In Christ,

Bob

3. gekko

gekko New Member

ok.

lets look at it this way.

we have been freed from the law of sin and death - we can all agree on this. no? (romans 7)

now Christ has come and has died for our sins and that of the world and rose from the dead DEFEATING DEATH. (i dont know why i capitalized that - maybe it has some significance?)

now we take part in the "perfect law of liberty." i dont fully understand what that means yet... paul says the law is spiritual. it has been written on our hearts - which is part of the new covenant (jeremiah 31:31)

now that we are not under the law of sin and death - Christ demolished death - and now we have the perfect law of liberty - that which is written on our hearts - our conscience testifies.

that's how i see it a little bit...

SMM you said "This also applies in the case where the Civil Authorities tell you not to evangelize in Jesus Name or conduct a non-violent protest at an abortion clinic...

It may be permissible under God... It may even be directed under God... But, if you do it the Civil Authorities will prosecute you..."

nope - their not allowed to prosecute you - isn't it against the first ammendment? (that's what i've heard)

although i know you were probably just making a point with that...

God bless

4. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Gekko, yep, making apoint using the Apostles experieces in Acts... SMM

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Exactly!

Both the New "Covenant" and the Old "Covenant" have the TEN COMMANDMENT law of God.

2Cor 3 makes this clear. In the Old Covenant (NOT to be confused with the Old Testament) it is EXTERNAL and merely on stone tablets. Under that Covenant the rule is "OBEY and LIVE". Adam was the first to LIVE under that covenant and the first to fail it.

All fallen humanity are merely "condemned" to this very day by that covenant.

---

The NEW Covenant as you point out in the OLD Testament has the Ten Commadments - written "ON TABLETS of the Human HEART" (2Cor 3) as opposed to merely being EXTERNAL.

So as James 2 says we are to live and act as those who ARE to be judged BY that "Law of Liberty" that says "Do not steal" etc.

The New Covenant promise in Jeremiah shows how it works - it writes God's LAW in the heart - the NEW creation desires harmony with the perfect sinless Character of Christ! So when we do sin - we come to Him in repentance.

In Christ,

Bob