1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans Chapter One

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by R. J., Dec 22, 2006.

1. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans Chapter One

Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called [to be] an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God, 2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,) 3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; 4 And declared [to be] the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead: 5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name: 6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ: 7 To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called [to be] saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul starts his epistle to the Romans by describing his position as "a servant of Jesus Christ". He also described his position this way to the Philippians and to Titus. He mentions this position to the Corinthians (see 1 Corinthians 9:19 and 2 Corinthians 4:5).

Note that late in Paul's ministry, he stated:

1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

Paul, as "a servant of Jesus Christ", is a PATTERN for every missionary, evangelist, bishop, pastor, teacher, elder and deacon within the Church (2 Timothy 2:24; Colossians 4:12).

As a matter of scriptural fact, this includes ALL Christians as Paul explains in the following verses:

1 Corinthians 7:22 For he that is called in the Lord,[being] a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, [being] free, is Christ's servant. 23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.

Paul also states that he was "called to be an apostle" (see Acts 9) and was "separated UNTO to gospel of God". There are some who preach that we should be separated FROM sin. That is all well and good as long as we are separated UNTO something that replaces that sin. That something is the application of the Holy Scriptures with Holy Spirit discernment in our lives.

You can find folks everywhere that are completely separated FROM sin. They are buried in cemeteries. You can also find living Christians that are just as separated, and they are just as "dead".

In verse 2, Paul mentions "prophets in the holy scriptures". We will see this again in Romans 16:26 when Paul describes how Christians are established. Paul's epistles are unique to members of the body of Christ (i.e. the spiritual Church), BUT they are taught ACCORDING to the scriptures of the prophets.

For example, you can not study and understand "the times and the seasons" of the rapture discussed in 1 Thessalonians 5:1-9 without understanding the Old Testament phrases "day of the Lord" and "travail upon a woman with child".

Verses 3 and 4 refer indirectly to Christ's genealogy. You may wish to note that the genealogy of Christ given in Luke 3:23-38 appears to be through Joseph. However, in Luke 3:23, Heli is Mary's father, not Joseph's. Joseph was Heli's son-in-law. Joseph's biological father was Jacob (see Matthew 1:16).

In verse 7, we are called [to be] saints. Whether you are called a saint or are called to be a saint, it is a Christians position in Christ. We are to LIVE what we are, saints. The apostle Paul devotes two whole chapters in Ephesians on living "as becometh saints" (see Ephesians 5:3).

Romans 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.

Our attention is drawn to the FAITH of the Romans in verse 8. Paul has already mentioned "obedience to the faith" in verse 5. "FAITH" will show up again in verse 12 and three times in verse 17 before we complete our study of Romans Chapter One.

With this in mind, let's do a word study on "FAITH" and note the times it shows up in the bible:
    1. 2 - Old Testament
    2. 29 - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John
    3. 15 - Acts
    4. 39 - Romans
    5. 100 - 1 Corinthians thru Philemon
    6. 32 - Hebrews (23 in Chapter 11 alone)
    7. 25 - James, 1-2 Peter, 1-3 John and Jude
    8. 4 - Revelation
    The Book of Romans certainly is focused on FAITH compared to the rest of the books of the bible. It is rivaled only by Hebrews and its faith chapter.

Notice that the Romans faith was being spoken of throughout the WHOLE world. We need to be careful with biblical words like "whole", "all", etc. Sometimes they mean "all without distinction" while other times they mean "all without exception".
    For example, in John 3:16, "whosoever" means all without exception. When a Calvinist reads John 3:16, he reads it like this, "For God so loved the elect Gentiles . . .".
    For an example of "all without distinction", take a look at "all things" in Ephesians 6:21. Tychicus obviously could not tell the Ephesians "all things".
    The best example of "all without exception" is found in 1 Timothy 2:5-6 where Christ Jesus gave Himself a ransom FOR ALL. That is everyone, no exceptions.

Romans 1:9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers; 10 Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you.

Look at Paul's reference to his "spirit" in verse 9. He is speaking of his own saved human spirit. That is the spirit that DIES when one's conscience knows good and evil. That is the spirit that the Lord Jesus Christ QUICKENS to life when one believes.

See how Paul makes the distinction between his spirit and the Holy Spirit. He states that God is his witness whom he serves with his spirit.

The believer also is given the indwelling Holy Spirit as the earnest "of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession".

Herein lies the difference between the Old Testament saint and members of the body of Christ. In the Old Testament, the object of obedience varied according to the person and his circumstances (see Hebrews 11). In the New Testament, the object of obedience is fixed on the person of Jesus Christ and His blood atonement.

Notice that Paul was praying in "the will of God" for a "prosperous journey" to visit the Romans. However, Paul was sidetracked from "the will of God" when he went to Jerusalem (Acts 19:21) against God's will. The Lord warned him three times not to go to Jerusalem (Acts 20:22-23, 21:4, 21:10-12). Paul ended up losing the "prosperous" part of his journey to Rome.

Paul came to Rome as a prisoner, suffered through a terrible storm and shipwreck and lost 2 years of his ministry in a jail in Jerusalem.

--- Continued on next post ---

#1 R. J., Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2006
  2. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans Chapter One (continued)

--- Continued from previous post ---

Paul came to Rome as a prisoner, suffered through a terrible storm and shipwreck and lost 2 years of his ministry in a jail in Jerusalem.

So, keep in mind that what you do affects the way God answers your prayers.

Romans 1:11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; 12 That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.

Paul's purpose in wanting to impart some spiritual gift was to give the believers stability in the faith. In verse 12, Paul shows how mutual faith comforts believers.

Romans 1:13 Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.

This verse is like 2 Thessalonians 2:7 where the words "letteth" and "let" mean "hinder" or "prevent". Paul planned to visit the brethren in Rome but was hindered from doing so.

The modern use of "let" to mean "hinder" is found in the sport of tennis. When the net judge detects that the net has hindered the ball, he declares "Let!".

Incidently, there is a third meaning to "let" in the bible. In Mark 12:1 it means to "rent" or "lease".

The "fruit" that Paul speaks of in this verse is the salvation of unsaved Gentiles. We will see more concerning unsaved Gentiles as we continue.

Romans 1:14 I am debtor both to the Greeks, and to the Barbarians; both to the wise, and to the unwise. 15 So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

The gospel of Christ is the "Gospel of the Grace of God" that is preached by the Church under grace. That GOSPEL is the power of God unto salvation.

It is NOT:
    1. the gospel preached to Abraham (Galatians 3:8, Genesis 18:18, 22:18).
    2. the gospel preached to Isaac (Genesis 26:4).
    3. the "Gospel of the Kingdom" preached during Christ's earthly ministry (Matthew 4:23, 9:35; Mark 1:14).
    4. the "Gospel of God" that is preached by Peter in the early part of Acts (Acts 2:38).
    5. the "Gospel of the Kingdom" that will be preached during the great tribulation (Matthew 24:14).
    6. the "Everlasting Gospel" preached to the Gentiles at the end of Daniel's 70th week (Revelation 14:6)
    Notice in verse 17 that Paul "MISQUOTES" Habakkuk 2:4. The Old Testament prophet stated "HIS" faith but the New Testament prophet left out the "HIS".
    There is a significant DISTINCTION being made by Paul.
    1. The Old Testament saint was JUSTIFIED by HIS faith in the WORKS he did (Hebrews 11).
    2. The New Testament saint is JUSTIFIED by THE faith of Jesus Christ (Galatians 2:16).
    3. The Tribulation saint will be JUSTIFIED by THE faith of Jesus and keeping the commandments of God.
    Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; 19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them.

Paul begins to build a case against the utter ungodliness of the world in verse 18. From here to the end of chapter one, we will see the case against the Gentiles. Then, from Romans 2:1 through Romans 3:8, we will see the case against the Jews. Finally, from Romans 3:9 to the end of chapter three, Paul sums up the case against both Gentiles and Jews thus proving the whole world guilty.

You might note that most modern versions of the bible translate "hold" as "suppress". The definition of the word "hold" lends itself better to "keep" than to "suppress". Translators of the modern versions tend to translate this way whenever the Holy Spirit aims a verse at them. Using "suppress" gets them off the proverbial "hook".

Verse 19 demonstrates that God bears witness to the truth WITHIN unrighteous people. They have been shown the truth but reject it.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified [him] not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

The beginning of verse 20 appears to be a contradiction. However, it is resolved immediately. Things that cannot be seen are clearly seen are UNDERSTOOD by things that can be seen. Two of these things are God's eternal power and the Godhead (i.e. the Trinity). The Trinity is demonstrated numerous times within the universe. The prime example is the body, soul and spirit of human beings.

The last phrase of verse 20 is a bummer for the unsaved. They are without excuse.

Verse 21 tells us how unsaved people get that way. They fail to do two things:
    1. glorify God, and,
    2. thank God.
    They imagine vain things which darkens their heart.

--- Continued on next post ---

#2 R. J., Dec 22, 2006
  3. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans Chapter One (Continued)

--- Continued from previous post ---

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

Watch out for "professors" who claim to be wise. Believers have the wisdom of God. The wisdom of the world is foolishness with God (1 Corinthians 3:18-19).

Romans 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

We are going to see God giving the unrighteous up one part at a time. In verse 24, God gives their bodies up "to dishonour their own bodies between themselves".

Verse 25 is another one of those verses where the Holy Spirit convicted the translators of the modern versions of the bible. They covered themselves by changing the word "CHANGED" to "EXCHANGED". Isn't dat somethin'?

Romans 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

In verse 26, we see God giving the second part of the unrighteous up. In this verse, God gives their souls up "unto vile affections".

Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their] knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

In verse 28, we see God giving the third part of the unrighteous up. In this verse, God gives their spirits up when he "gave them over to a reprobate mind".

--- End of Romans Chapter One ---

#3 R. J., Dec 22, 2006
  4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Have you considered just writing a book and saving the baptistboard some money on bandwidth and storage space?:praying: :sleep:

5. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

AAAAw..
    I think it was a book, that no one would publish. The only way you will see this in print is if you hit on your keyboard "control p".

6. Dogwood

Dogwood New Member

Hi Jarthur,

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to be published these days unless your writing about Muslims, Homosexuals, or how to submit "theorectically" how to terminate your spouse? Sorry, that one was pulled from the shelves by Harper Collins and the would be publisher got fired. But then you have the great literary geniuses' out there like Madonna and Billy Crystal who write books for our children while bashing the President as they promote their hard-earned literary work. Let's not forget Hillary's "It takes a Village".

If this entire study had been published and not posted on this board, I would buy the book because I found it interesting and insightful. We're looking at an entire chapter in the book of Romans in the bible; and one of the most difficult books in the bible to understand I might add. This type of detailed thought and presentation can not be summed up in 100 words or less.

You may be a biblical theologeon for all I know, and have studied every biblical aspect; including the geneology or lineage of Christ. That being said, it was worth my time to read just to discover that Joseph has blood line connection to Jacob. What a meaningful revelation for me. I did not know this before reading.

Excerpt from post:

That was only "one" interesting finding (and I'm going to check the significance of this information out) while reading this study on Romans Chapter One.

Merry Christmas,

Dogwood

#6 Dogwood, Dec 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2006
  7. Raindrop

Raindrop New Member

Romans 1 is so awesome. It starts with declarations about the gospel, the Lordship of Christ, God's power, holiness, resurrection, grace, and obedience to the faith. It's like a musical composition that starts with trumpets.