1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Roman's Road Soul-Winning Method

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Askjo, Feb 19, 2004.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Seems to me we need to let the Holy Spirit do the work and not worry about certain scripture not being the 'right one' for that person!

Diane

2. Preacher Ron

Preacher Ron New Member

Diane said

Seems to me we need to let the Holy Spirit do the work and not worry about certain scripture not being the 'right one' for that person!

Then do away with the Roman's Road, and tell them about Jesus!!!!!!!

He is what it's all about!

Preacher Ron

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

And Jesus isn't in Romans?

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

If you read my previous posts you'll see that I allow the Holy Spirit to guide me in what scripture to use when witnessing to each person. My Tuesday night visitation partner is like that too. We pray before even choosing which cards to take and which families to visit.

I've used Jesus writing in the sand, the woman at the well, Romans Road, the F.A.I.T.H. method (which I don't like) and just what Jesus has done for me. Since I was saved at 8 and have been in church and out of the world my whole life, that's not appropriate for use with some. I also use a braclet with the colored beads or a little book made from colored construction paper for younger people.

Diane

5. vaspers

vaspers New Member

I've used the old 4 Spiritual Laws booklet to great effect. and I have to say, tho I don't like it much, I used F.A.I.T.H. with a woman who had a lung disease, former Catholic going to a Methodist church, and she asked me to repeat what the F.A.I.T.H. stands for on yer fingers, then she died a few weeks later. Let me tell you, I'm sure she got saved and it was in the nick of time for her. I sleep peacefully thinking of my dear sister in Heaven. Isn't God wonderful? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Forgiveness
    Available (not automatic)
    Impossible
    Turn
    Heaven

I like to use the FAITH method, but only as a guide. I think the method is more helpful to me than it is to the person I'm witnessing to. It helps me stay on track. I don't do it as scripted many times.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I don't care for scripted questions such as the F.A.I.T.H. 'What, in your own opinion, does it take for a person to go to heaven?'

However, I agree that there is much more to salvation than the A.B.C. Admit, Believe, Confess teachings.

Diane

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you all mean by the F.A.I.T.H. method? More details, please. Thanks

9. sandrocksam

sandrocksam New Member

Without the Holy Spirit there is no conviction of sinful state and no true repentance. Have not souls been saved using Roman's Road, Faith, EE, and others not so much credit to the method of witnessing but the presence and guidance of the Holy Spirit.

10. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Amen to that! For instance, see John 12:32, which says And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Jesus said He would draw people - He, not anything else. In other words, it's not the program you use, although many can be helpful. One other point is that Jesus said He would draw people to Him, not push them into it.

11. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

When I was a student at Midwestern Baptist College in Pontiac, MI. That college do teaching on Romans Road for soul winning.

One day, I was on soul winning with my friend as student of MBC. He witnessed to a young guy outside. He showed to a young guy of Romans Road. He witnessed him for about 5 minutes, the I notice him praying, as a young guy closes listened to student's prayer. I DISARGEE with him.

No wonder, why Late Dr. Jack Hyles' was boast for the numbers of souls saved - 'Pentacost Day' at his church. His church claims about 15,000 saved during single service on that day. I don't buy it.

They witness to people in a hurry and easy believism. I do not believe all of 15,000 souls saved, I believe about 5 to 10% of 15,000 will be end up going to heaven.

Often, they use Romans 6:23 for soul winning of 'Romans Road', BUT, they do not use the context of Romans chapter 6. Notice, Romans 6:1 says, should we continue sin under God's grace? God FORBID! Why not soul winners use Romans 6:1-2?

Often, they use Romans 10:9-13 for salvation.

BUT, ironic, I saw many people closed their eyes and LISTEN to soul winners' prayer! Or, many people do COPY soul winner's prayer.

Do these are truly saved and repent?

Askjo asked, what about Romans 2:5-9, do the soul winners use that verses to lost people?

I doubt!

I am sure most of soul winners common use Romans 3:10, 3:23, 5:8, 5:12, 6:23, and Romans 10:9-13 to witness people about salvation.

But, the lack is they do not witness to them about repentance.

I surprise little bit, that Paul does mentioned repentance in Acts 20:20-21 on his visitation hour to house to witness them on repentance.

Because often I hear many baptists saying, Paul seems never teaching on repentance.

But there is find in Acts 20:20-21!

We should go and witness to them about Jesus Christ include repentance too!

Dr. Hyles boasted of his church record about 54,000 souls saved during year 1997. I doubt. I guess about 5% to 10% are truly saved out of 54,000 people during year 1997.

I read late Dr. Curtis Hutson's article on repentance. He said, repent means change mind. He seems partailly correct, but I disagree with him. Repentance means turn away from sins, and turn toward to God with confess sins, means quit old ways and habits, and repent toward God for holy calling - 1 Peter 1:16.

Numbers of soul saved mean nothing to me. Our job is warning them and urge them do not turn back to old ways and pull them back from the danger of going into destruction - Heb. 3:12-14 and 2 Peter 3:17.

I believe our fail to allow many people on the way to hell, because of our lack on discipleship to them.

Discipleship is very important to edify one another after their salvation, do not forsake them after witness gospel to a person. Many of us fail doing it today, we allow many people on the way to hell because we are suppose to be responsible to discipline them to grow in the Lord. Christ commands us to teach and discipline one another - Matt 28:19-20, and Mark 16:15. Many of us failing for obey Christ's command, we allow many people on the way to hell.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 - Amen!

12. justdan

justdan New Member

Rom. 3:23 "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" This verse from the "Romans Road" Shows the need for repentance and a savior. If a person doesnt care that they have sinned against God they will not ask for forgiveness.

I am not about to try to defend Dr Hyles and his methods but by your calculations his church led 2700 to 5400 souls to the Lord in one year!

Only the Holy Spirit can convict. We as Christians need to know the Bible because there is no one correct way to share the Gospel. We need to be able to reach out and communicate to diffrent people with diffrent needs! We must however go tell!

[ February 24, 2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: justdan ]

13. firedome

firedome New Member

When using the RR how does one answer the question from the witnessee of "what is your definition of sin?" Where does one find the answer within the RR?

Maranatha,
    Rodney

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Rodney, that would depend on the age of the person. A child would not understand an indepth answer but would respond to 'not obeying your mom and dad', 'hitting your sister', etc. If an adult questions 'just what is sin' then I would wonder if they're under conviction. Without the urging of the Holy Spirit and HIS conviction of sin in their lives, there is no repentence and salvation.
    If people are looking for the 10 commandments so they can say 'I have not sinned', well,

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

Diane

15. justdan

justdan New Member

Excellent answer!

16. firedome

firedome New Member

Diane,
    My question was how does one define sin from within the RR? So my question still stands unanswered.

Maranatha,
    Rodney

17. justdan

justdan New Member

Rodney,
    Do you think if someone is useing the "RR" to witness they cant say anything else or use other verses as well?
    How do you define sin when you witness to people?

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Again, if you have to name specific sins then this person is not under conviction.

Sin is anything outside the will of God.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect. 18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent." 20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 22 For Jews request a sign, and Greeks seek after wisdom; 23 but we preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block and to the Greeks foolishness, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26 For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. 27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;

Diane

19. firedome

firedome New Member

justdan,

Yes! A person can and should use more than one book of the Bible BUT, there are far too many people in positions of authority in the smattering of congregations across the land that teach of the adherence to the Jack Hyles style of witnessing, i.e., staying within one book of the Bible so as not to confuse the person be witnessed to. I believe the reasoning of staying within one book is not to keep the person being witnessed to from being confused but to keep the person witnessing from becoming confused thereby destroying their witnessing capability. I don't know if you are in a ministerial role but do you know what it's like trying to get people to go out on visitation, soul winning or whatever your church calls it? Why do people not want to go witness for our Lord? I present to you that they are scared and unequipped with this technique.

In response to your second question, I start with Romans 3:10. I point the portion that says "There is none righteous, no not one." I then move to where Paul took this text; Psalm 14:1-3. From there I use Psalm 19:7-8. After this I move to Exodus 20. I base this upon what God's Word says in Romans 3:19-20. I culminate with the promise given in Romans 6:23. Be advised that I have not included the mass of my witnessing material, but if you wish I will email a word document that contains the whole enchilada if you would like.

Marantha,
    Rodney

20. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Most people defined what the sin is. They answered, "stealing, cheating, adultery, murder, etc." However they missed the point: the sin separates you from the Holy God. Can they define the sin -- why did the sin separate us from God? Yet, they do not understand how this sin separate us from God. Therefore they can't define what the sin actually means to them.