1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ron Paul Will Be in the GOP Debate on Thursday, May 3

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, May 1, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I look forward to watching the debate, although without firebrands like Kucinich and Gravel (The latter never being more than one step away from a total meltdown), it probably won't be as "entertaining" :)

I kid. I do look forward to it. I'm still waiting for someone to capture my interest and support. The Dems did a lousy job last week. Now let's see what the GOP can do, sans Thompson.

3. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I've heard it said by many different political scientists that a Giuliani/Thompson ticket would be undefeatable by any other team. I wonder if there is maybe a deal in the works between the two.

I look forward to the debate tomorrow.

4. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

There's too much difference between Guliani and Thompson to make a cohesive team. I'd rather have Thompson and someone else more like him form a team.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, tonight the American people will have the opportunity to listen to a true patriot, a man who takes seriously his Congressional oath, a man who puts the interests of the United States above partisan politics, a man who truly advocates and fights in the Congress for limited, constitutional government. I write of none other than Congressman Ron Paul of Texas.

Listen closely, my fellow Americans. Listen very closely and you will hear what a Founding Father of this country would sound like if he was participating in the debate tonight.

God bless America!!!

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I doubt it.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all due respect, I think you should listen first before making such a statement since you are not as familiar with Congressman Ron Paul as I am as I have been reading his writings and speeches for well over 20 years.

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

You might be righ. And I might be wrong. I do not have 20 years invested in him. But I am familiar with him and looked with interest at himat one point. I will not hold my breath.

9. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I need to start looking at the Constitution Party again. I refuse to vote for the lesser of two evils this time...

10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Hum... a fairly simple sentence. Shows a lack of respect in my opinion.

Ron Paul is the best hope we have with the current list of canidiates. He is a leader that has a proven track record. He has shown that he doesn't bow down to the party, but is truely looking out for the interests on America.

If you have looked over Ron Paul and don't like him, who it is you're looking over and do like?

Jamie

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I'm praying a Ron Paul will be elected this time around. If anyone finds a link to the webcast of the debate, please post it.

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I think Ken said that it was going to be shown live on this website: www.politico.com

Jamie

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Yeah, they just don't have a link up yet. I hate waiting till the last minute ;) I'm sure they will have something up soon.

14. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Less than two hours until the debate starts.

I am sooooooooooooooooo excited!!!! I've waited for a moment like this ever since Ronald Reagan left office.

[​IMG]

GO RON GO!!!! Show the folks what a true conservative sounds like!!!!

16. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I've also been paying attention to Ron Paul for a while - about 10 years since he's been back in Congress - and there are most things he says I do find agreeable.

He differs with my views on one major issues on which I can not yield and that is the war in Iraq. We also differs, to significant degree, on trade agreements, and on a few other relatively minor points.

I do agree with these principles he claims:
    • Rights belong to individuals, not groups.
    • Property should be owned by people, not government.
    • All voluntary associations should be permissible -- economic and social.
    • The government's monetary role is to maintain the integrity of the monetary unit, not participate in fraud.
    • Government exists to protect liberty, not to redistribute wealth or to grant special privileges.
    • The lives and actions of people are their own responsibility, not the government's.
    I do like his views on the following:
    • Debt and Taxes - Working Americans like lower taxes. So do I. Lower taxes benefit all of us, creating jobs and allowing us to make more decisions for ourselves about our lives.
    • Border Security and Immigration Reform - The talk must stop. We must secure our borders now. A nation without secure borders is no nation at all.
    • Privacy and Personal Liberty - The biggest threat to your privacy is the government. We must drastically limit the ability of government to collect and store data regarding citizens’ personal matters.
    • Property Rights and Eminent Domain -We must stop special interests from violating property rights and literally driving families from their homes, farms and ranches.
    I also make note that less government has historically proved to be better than more government and most human suffering has been at the hands of government.

Were it not for his views on the current war I might find him a worthy candidate relative to the other choices.

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Why do you feel the war in Iraq is of more importance than issues such as personal liberty and securing our own borders?

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know, Dragoon68, and this is not directed at your personally, but I listen to folks like Sean Hannity and the people that call into his radio show and I am thoroughly convinced that people like Hannity and a bunch of his callers would submit to a dictatorship in this country if they believed that is what it would take to keep our troops bogged down in Iraq.

For instance, I heard one of his callers yesterday state that we may need to give up some of our freedoms in order to save democracy. I, and I hope you, would have jumped on that caller and told him that was a load of nonsense. But not Sean Hannity. No, he just keeps on spouting the same old Bush sycophant nonsense about staying in Iraq and equating it with the war against terror.

Personally, I think it is unwise to be a one trick pony when it comes to voting.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Paul belongs in this debate even though he falls outside the parameters of a mainstream Republican. I think he would be fiscally true to conservative values and would make a real effort at securing the borders, but I believe he has some isolationist tendencies that could do him and our country great damage.

Unlike democrats, Republicans tolerate those in their party who do not march in lockstep with the mainstreamers.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. It is people like George W. Bush who are isolationists - diplomatic isolationists.

Ron Paul is not an isolationist. He does not want to seal off the United States from the rest of the world and not trade and not talk with other countries.

Ron Paul is a non-interventionist. He believes that we should keep our nose out of other countries' business when it doesn't involve us, that we shouldn't have our troops scattered all over the world, that we shouldn't be closing military bases in this country while building them in other countries, that our military and diplomacy are to serve America's interests first and foremost.