1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ron Pauls Secret Weapon

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Dec 26, 2011.

1. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yes I know what the 'I' stands for. Do you know what the 'A' stands for? Aipac is made up of US citizens. The Israeli government is...the Israeli government. They don't always desire the same things. For Case in point see post #143

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Or more likely it just proves that the Ron Paul acolytes have a talent for swarming internet forums.

So what will you guys do when R.P. is too old to run anymore?

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rand Paul just turned 49 years old.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When he is too old?

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

So, your for Obama?

And why do you buy into the media's "unelectable" garbage. There is no such thing. Paul is the only candidate, besides Mittens, who performs well against Obama in the polls. None of the other candidates can numerically win, because of them not being on the ballot in so many states (Santorum cannot even get on the ballot in California, apparently...that is basically game over).

So your only real choices, is Romney, Obama, or Paul. If you won't vote for Paul or Romney, then your voting for Obama.

6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The man is 76 years old. He IS unelectable for that reason. The media hasn't even brought up this point...yet.

It's one fact that Paul supporters do not address because there is no rebuttal.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

No one is "buying in" to any media perceptions about RP. He is his own worst enemy because he left a paper trail for all to read.

Ever hear of a guy named Ronald Reagan, whom most wrote off as unelectable? And, no, I am not comparing him to RP. RP is no Reagan, but Santorum may be...

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Santorum is completely unelectable. Besides being on video stating that he will actively stand against the Tea Party, and his ENORMOUS government voting record, it is not numerically possible at this point for Santorum to secure the nomination. He polls about 8 percent among independants in a match-up against Obama. Only Romney and Paul are competitive, according to the polls.

Thanks to the new Republican delegate rules, regarding proportional distribution (instead of "winner take all"), all Romney or Paul have to do is be somewhat competitive in each state, taking first, second, or third, and the 6 states which they will share exclusively will guarantee one of them the nomination. Santorum has 0 chance (he is having trouble even getting on the ballot in California), and Gingrich has a FAR worse chance than Paul.

As far as age, Reagan was just a few days short of 70 when he first took office, and was 74 when he was re-elected...so Ron Paul's age is certainly not a barrier!

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I don't what network you watch. I have heard O'Reilly, Hannity, Limbaugh, and Levine ALL bring this up.

I address it. Reagan was 74 when he took his second term. Nothing a strong VP pick won't fix. The category of people that this would hurt him the most with, i.e. young voters who are more worried about charisma, he TROUNCES the other GOP nominees in...

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Example:

In the latest poll, done by CNN:

Obama 52 Romney 45

Obama 52 Paul 45

Obama 56 Gingrich 40

Obama 57 Perry 39

12. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

And here is another poll released today...

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012-presidential-campaign/poll-romney-paul-tie-obama-20120109

Not surprising, since 63 percent of the voting public in the U.S., AGREE with Ron Paul's foreign policy...

Hey American people, should we bring the troops home?

Yep

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/19/AR2009081903066.html

Yep

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20014856-503544.html

Yep

http://fdlaction.firedoglake.com/2011/06/09/6-in-10-americans-sharply-against-war-in-libya/

And don't take military action against Iran...55 to 36 Support Israel in attacking Iran? NOPE 50 to 46

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institute...titute/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=1677

Paul's ideas are "mainstream." The problem is that the ideas of those controlling the Republican nomination, are not.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't watch any of those people. I don't even know who Levine is. Besides, when you said media I presumed you meant the mainstream, left wing media. Have they brought it up?

Yes, Reagan was 69 when he was running for President. He was 73 when he was running for his second term. Ron Paul will be 77 years old when the Republican National convention is held.

Anybody come to mind?

I don't necessarily buy into the idea that the age of the President is most worrisome to young people. I'm going to give that statement a big "We don't know that!"

14. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Of course. Anderson Cooper, and Diane Sawyer, among others.

Since average life expectancy has raised 6 years in that time, it is roughly equivalent.

I would LOVE it to be a Paul/Paul ticket... (His son Rand). A complete outsider who is well versed on the Constitution and law would be good, too...maybe former Superior court judge Andrew Napolitano.

Well, it certainly seems LIKELY.

FYI: Did you see the polls I posted? The ones which seem to belie your statement, saying Paul is the only one other than Romney, competitive with Obama?

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That 63 % you mention - are they in favor of bringing home only those in combat zones - or bringing home all troops (Korea, USAEUR, Ships at Sea, Marine Embassy guards, ect)

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw the main point of the poll, among the general public, Obama (46%) vs. Paul (45%). However, if you dig deeper into the poll you will find this:

Among Republican voters, if the nominee were....you would...
    Enthusiastically support him: Paul 15% (second lowest)
    Not support him: Paul 20% (highest)

Among Republican voters, which candidate has the best chance of beating Obama?

Romney 49%
    Paul 4%

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57355596/cbs-news-polls-1-9-12/?tag=contentMain;contentBody

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ITL, when will you realize that you confuse people when you show facts....

18. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I cannot find this data. However, as one Republican strategist said today, "They just say that. Whoever the nominee is, the people will support. They always do."

Despite the fact that Paul performs well in a match -up. Wonder why Republicans think this; because establishment hacks like Karl Rove, have continually pushed the idea that "Paul can't win, Paul can't win " (repeat after me, media)..

But regardless what they THINK the polls don't back up their conclusion.

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's at the link I posted, in the box below this headline:

Romney Leads and Santorum Surges into the Top Tier, But Voters Want More Choices:

[it takes awhile to load]

Let's hope so. If a candidate can't get their base excited, they're dead.

It is a strange phenomena. Paul matches up well with Obama yet has never won a primary or caucus (IIRC).

So far...

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Possibly, but it is a compulsion that I have.