1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ron Santo

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Pastor_Bob, Dec 3, 2010.

?
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Undecided

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You're right. I don't trust them, either. Ozzie Smith by most accounts was the greatest fielding shortstop of the modern era, but he probably didn't deserve the last few he got. He won them on reputation.

MVP and Cy Young are a bit more accurate, but not totally.

While the BBSWA are not perfect and give a lot of unqualified people votes, I really do believe they are more objective judges of performance than fans or managers.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I couldn't disagree more. I've heard members of the BBWAA admit biases against teams, leagues, etc. And there's this: How can the guy who covers the Giants vote on how good the players are for the Rays, Orioles, or Indians? Same holds true for beat writers who vote in the AP in college football (or the coaches). Do they really research games other than those which they cover? Most sportswriters I know freely admit they don't.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as POPULARITY & IMPORTANCE TO HIS TEAM, Santo ranx right up there. Often, those factors are as important as individual stats. I believe that's why several others with less-than-super stats made the HOF.