1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Reagan and KJV

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by av1611jim, Nov 8, 2004.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Go here then comment.
    http://av1611.org/kjv/reagan.html
    Please do not dismiss it just because of the site it is on.
    At least have the decency to read what R. Reagan had to say.
    In His service;
    Jim

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am glad President Reagan liked the KJV, so do I.

3. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

av1611,
    Thank you so much for this. I really enjoyed reading the words of this gracious and intelligent former president.

[​IMG]

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And by implication this means ????

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

No implication.
    Why are you so adamant about finding ulterior motives?
    But if you REALLY want to fight, then by implication Ronald Reagan was a KJVO man.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In His service;
    Jim

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was a KJV man, for sure.

But he was not irrational, so I doubt he would fit into the "only" sect.

Gotcha back! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

All in good fun Brother!
    You make me laugh sometimes.
    In His service;
    Jim

8. manchester

manchester New Member

Reagan called it the "St. James Bible"? He might be a KJVO after all.

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RR may have known how to perform and communicate, but he certainly didn't know much about the Bible versions issue. What we have here is his opinion and his PREFERENCE of Bible version. Obviously RR preferred the KJV due to its prose.

10. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    GREAT SCOTT, Jim!

What a list of purveyors of bunk in that site!

Gipp...Melton...Vance...Marrs...Nicholls...Reagan(Not Ron)...RIPLINGER...and two if the most unlearned of the whole KJVO bunch, "Dr". Herb Evans and "Dr". Terry Watkins. This whole motley crew, with the exception of survivalist Marrs, follows the Wilkinson/Ray/Fuller false doctrine "party line" perfectly. If THAT bunch is where your KJVO view comes from, you have a LOT of catching-up on your studying to do. They push the same old junk, long proven false, with just enough "doctoring" to make it appear new to people not familiar with the Bible versions issue. It was false then and it's false now.

Jim, I highly recommend you examine their assertions for accuracy. You may be quite surprised.

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

av1611jim said:

At least have the decency to read what R. Reagan had to say.

In other news, Britney Spears chimes in on predestination. [​IMG]

12. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

GREAT SCOTT, Jim!

What a list of purveyors of bunk in that site!

Gipp...Melton...Vance...Marrs...Nicholls...Reagan(Not Ron)...RIPLINGER...and two if the most unlearned of the whole KJVO bunch, "Dr". Herb Evans and "Dr". Terry Watkins. This whole motley crew, with the exception of survivalist Marrs, follows the Wilkinson/Ray/Fuller false doctrine "party line" perfectly. If THAT bunch is where your KJVO view comes from, you have a LOT of catching-up on your studying to do. They push the same old junk, long proven false, with just enough "doctoring" to make it appear new to people not familiar with the Bible versions issue. It was false then and it's false now.

Jim, I highly recommend you examine their assertions for accuracy. You may be quite surprised.
    :rolleyes:

In other news, Britney Spears chimes in on predestination. :rolleyes:

C'mon. You all gotta be kidding me.
    I was simply showing that one of the most loved presidents of our time loved the same Bible you all claim to.

I knew you could not keep from being rabid about it.
    Ya'll should look in the mirror sometime. They's a big ol' plank in yer eye!
    In His service;
    Jim

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, Sir, but I wouldn't believe a weather report from anyone on "Dial The Truth" w/o going outside. Every one of'em has been caught in at least one fishing story. Sorry if you look at it as "going rabid", but I've been at it too long and seen too many of their assertions which I've found to be false, to believe any differently about any of their writings.

14. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Trust the site or not. It is your perogative.
    The transcript is legit. And so is the quote from Newsweek.
    You could claim that there is an agenda but then you would make yourself look kinda foolish.
    Unless of course you believe Newsweek has a KJVO agenda! :rolleyes: [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In His service;
    Jim

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

In other news, Britney Spears chimes in on predestination.

C'mon. You all gotta be kidding me.
    I was simply showing that one of the most loved presidents of our time loved the same Bible you all claim to.

Bible wasn't Reagan's field of expertise, so his authority as a "most loved president" doesn't score him any points here. I'm not interested in his views on quantum mechanics, either.

16. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

So Ransom,
    What I get from your post is this.
    1. Reagan was no Bible Scholar.
    2. He has no authority (according to you, even though he led this country and the world in putting an end to the Soviet Empire).
    3. Therefore the fact that he loved the Bible doesn't interest you.

Did I get that right?
    And since He loved the KJV, you automatically do not trust him.

Hmmm, "Things that make you go hmmmmmmm"

In His service;
    Jim

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jim, I was a Pharmacist's Mate in the US Navy. I often helped doctors sew up shot-up Marines & soldiers. I know anatomy quite well. But, if you needed bypass surgery, wouldn't you rather have a cardiologist do it rather than I, despite my having the best of intentions and a LOT lower fee?
    Was RR ever known as a Bible expert? Or was he simply expressing his opinion?

18. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Where did I ever state that Ronald Reagan was a Bible scholar?
    Show me or stop it.
    All this is about is the fact that Ronald Reagan, one of the most loved Presidents of our time, loved the King James Bible. The very same Bible I have seen every one of you MV'ers claim you also love.
    That's all.
    Care to comment on Ronald Reagan's love for the Book?
    In His service;
    Jim

19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AV1611Jim:Trust the site or not. It is your perogative.[/.i]

I don't.

The transcript is legit.

Didn't say it wasn't. But even HITLER told the truth 99.9% of the time.

And so is the quote from Newsweek.

Agreed.

You could claim that there is an agenda but then you would make yourself look kinda foolish.

Not really. DTTM tried to score brownie points for the KJVO myth by quoting both RR when he was giving an opinion, and Newsweek, which has a reputation for accuracy. DTTM is constantly quoting DISHONEST or UNLEARNED authors, so they tried to actually add a bit of legitimacy to their fables and guesswork. As I said earlier, Jim, you should really take the time to examine the VERACITY of their articles and the assertions they make. You might be greatly surprised!

Unless of course you believe Newsweek has a KJVO agenda!

DTTM would have us to believe that. That's why they quoted both it and RR.

And some of the authors they like to quote are downright ignorant, dishonest, or BOTH! For example, we have Dr. James Melton's The NKJV: A deadly Translation, which is filled with misinformation, as you can easily see for yourself. Some of its points...

1.)COPYRIGHTED TEXT. Big deal. The text of the AV was once STRICTLY copyrighted, and is still copyrighted in England. Copyright or lack thereof doesn't change one letter of the texts.

2.)2. There's nothing "new" about the NKJV logo. It is a "666" symbol of the pagan trinity which was used in the ancient Egyptian mysteries. It was also used by satanist Aleister Crowley around the turn of this century. The symbol can be seen on the New King James Bible, on certain rock albums (like Led Zepplin's), or you can see it on the cover of such New Age books as The Aquarian Conspiracy. (See Riplinger's tract on the NKJV.)(Dr. James Melton, The NKJV: A Deadly translation)

This is the most absurd argument I've EVER seen a supposedly well-educated man make! That symbol, the triquetra, was used for centuries to represent the HOLY TRINITY when one Christian wrote a letter to another Christian. AND...Dr. Melton NEVER mentioned the smiling MR.SUN logo(ABSOLUTELY a pagan symbol) on the cover of the early AV volumes.

And he even refers to the KNOWN PREVARICATOR Riplinger!

3.) He denounces the rendering of "peddle" rather than "corrupt" in 2 Cor.2:17. A quick check of any Greek-English lexicon will show you that "peddle" is more correct than "corrupt".

And there are many more untrue points he presents, but why bore you with all the details? This should be sufficient to show you Dr. Melton either had no idea what he was talking about, or that he was dishonest...or BOTH. This is typical for the whole DTTM site. Knowing that most people will reject their hooey, they try to flavor it up with some actual TRUTH sometimes.

Once again, Jim, please check them out for yourself.

20. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

av1611jim said:

So Ransom,
    What I get from your post is this.

That's nice, it's too bad it has only a tenuous relationship with reality.

1. Reagan was no Bible Scholar.

Correct.

2. He has no authority (according to you, even though he led this country and the world in putting an end to the Soviet Empire).

Wrong, Jim. I never said anything about "no authority." I accept Reagan as an authority on statesmanship. But he was not a theologian or a Bible scholar, and so his authority to speak in those areas is questionable.

Do you ask your auto mechanic to critique Shakespeare? Or an English professor to fix your transmission?

3. Therefore the fact that he loved the Bible doesn't interest you.

Wrong again Jim. It interests me, I simply don't afford the KJV any greater authority because it gets Ronaldus Magnus' endorsement.

Heck, I heard Bill Clinton quote the KJV once, too.

Did I get that right?

No, but that only proves you are a KJV-onlyist. Intellectual honesty isn't exactly at a premium in those circles. [​IMG]

And since He loved the KJV, you automatically do not trust him.

Wrong again Jim. But by this point you are only trying to be hostile, not honest.