1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Root canal redone, or extraction?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Jul 12, 2006.

?
  1. Root canal redone-- any tooth must be saved if possible

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Root canal redone-- but only because I have a good dental plan

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Extraction-- because the new infection seems to mean r.c. is just a costly step toward that anyway

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. Extraction-- because it should be cheaper, and 'the end' of it

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. I would wait till the pain flares up and do something drastic, like pull it myself

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you had a root canal done on a molar 0-3 years ago, the tooth still became infected and painful, and you went back to the endotontist who says you must either have the root canal redone or the tooth extracted... what would you do?

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/what_is_a_root_canal.htm

That gives you a good reason why you shouldn't have it pulled if you can avoid it.
    I had two teeth pulled because it was cheaper, and those issues were starting. I have implants now. It would have been better in the long run to have paid for a root canal, but you gotta do what you gotta do, and at the time I was in pain and couldn't afford anything but having them pulled.

I just had a root canal done on a molar last Friday and it still hurts, so I feel your pain! Please take it back. :laugh:

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I had a tooth pulled last december because I was in extreme pain, got to where I could hardly eat or drink. Needed a root canal, but I said no, no money, and too much pain. That empty space is just fine now. Only thing is, as much as I love nuts, they get wedged between the two teeth in the open space.:laugh:

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ouch, it hurts me in the pocketbook!

Are your teeth in generally good condition?

If so and you're willing to comply with good dental hygiene practices; brush and floss daily, no exceptions...then IMO I'd go ahead with the 2nd root canal.

Rob

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

I had 2 root canals on the same tooth years ago and still have the tooth. I would do it again.

6. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

i had all of my wisdom teeth extracted when I was 18. If I hadn't had my wisdom tetth taken out, they would have caused my teeth to go out of alingnment and I would have had to wear braces again.
    Faithgirl

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

I guess I should add, the dentist said my tooth was chipped too, not wanting and couldn't pay for it, I opted for extraction, which only hurt 2 days, compared to a root canal.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I just had my 4 wisdom teeth pulled then had to get pocket reduction surgery (full mouth at one time) which included 4 bone grafts (2-3, 14-15, 18-19 and 31). This was done a good 6 weeks ago and I still can't do hot/cold or hard/tough foods. Getting old is a bummer...

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had the root canal redone this morning. I had at first favored extraction, but then I got a quote for my out-of-pocket payment for the r.c. as $315, and I opted for that. I can feel it, certainly, but it's not painful as of now. I was advised to avoid chewing on that side for about a week, and that may be quite an annoyance. Thanks for the input into this poll.