1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Roy Costner IV .... Part 2

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Scarlett O., Jun 7, 2013.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something troubles me about all of this and I know that not all will agree with me.

I don't like it when Christians are obnoxious about their faith. I don't think it does us any good. I saw him this morning on Fox News and I just don't get it whole hoopla about it.

His opening line was disrespectful to his principal who had just given him a glowing public commendation and told everyone how much he meant to her and the school.

Really? It was his "job" to write a speech that she wouldn't approve of? And why make a show of ripping it up?

And then he brings God into the act .....

When asked by a journalist about his deception, he seemed to have another motive other than praying publicly.

So was this about the free speech or Christian evangelism or what?

And using his logic, if the valedictorian at his school were a Muslim student, then that student would have "earned the right" to defy authority and "say what they want to say and acknowledge whom they want to acknowledge" with other Muslims in attendance shouting hooplas and every else would have to sit there in silence.

.....Or, if a student felt like venting some anger at a cruel teacher or bully, then according to this logic, if this student became valedictorian, then he or she would have earned the right to say all manner of hateful, vile, or inappropriate things from the podium because they "earned" the right to "say whatever they want to".

We can't have it both ways, everybody. It isn't OK just for Christians to "say to what they want to say" in public arenas in terms of prayer and religious expression.

Was the school wrong in banning prayers. Yes. They did so under much legal pressure.

I am of the opinion - and it will be in the minority here - there are people all over the country that want to make him president and think he's the second coming........but I don't believe that ..... I believe that this young man lost a wonderful opportunity to address that topic - politically, spiritually, and as a young man blossoming into leadership.

The Bible is FULL of times when people practiced civil disobedience. And it was when lives were literally at stake.

This young man COULD have given the approved speech and concluded with a strong, yet compassionate appeal to the community.

He could have said, "As part of my speech, I wanted to close with prayer for us all, but as you know, I am not allowed to. This is wrong. I don't blame my principal as she is under pressure from the school board who is under great pressure from people with powerful legal interests. I am a Christian and I believe in prayer. I have prayed for you all before I came here tonight and will pray for you again when I go home. I encourage all of you to pray when go home, too. I also encourage to support our board in their battle with people who wish to silence others. We are allowed a moment of silence and I would like to invoke that right to close my speech. I invite you to pray with me, in this moment of silence. God hears us either way."

To me, that would have MUCH more potent.

His liturgical recitation wasn't and his obnoxious and public disrespect to his principal and authority distracted me.

There's GOT to be a better way to defend right to practice Christian beliefs than this.