1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Russian baptist church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been spending much time with a most peculiar church in my town, namely The Russian Evangelical Baptist Church. It is an enclave made up of family & friends & acquaintances that were allowed to leave Russia (about the time of Gorbachev). I say Russian because that was the ruling government at the time & they imposed their language & culture & politics on these people which are mostly Latvians, Moldavians, Ukrainians, Estonians, etc. And I must stress that they are a persecuted people.....the pastor was imprisoned for preaching the Word & had to flee to the USA because they were threatening his life.

Here is my findings & please feel free to elaborate & provide correction & any additions if you have experience with these people. note they are very large in Sacramento California but they do have a presence in other areas of the country.

1. they are by in large Arminian & they believe they can loose their salvation.

2. havent seen any alter calls during my visits, nor do i find "Born Again" thinking & believe as prevalent.

3. Pietism is practiced and stressed. They have a fervent devotion to Christ which is more interested in personal experience than biblical doctrine. Indeed they stress a Synergistic approach to God that reminded me allot of my own catholic upbringing. They even kneel when prayers are said.

As a Monergist, I am concerned with their preference .....that not even a warm spirituality cannot be sustained without a solid basis in theology. I fear that in the absence of a coherent doctrinal framework, that these Pietists will become tomorrow's liberals.....very much like many Catholics have become.

Do you think that these churches will become the launching pad for a future liberal population? Lord, I sincerely hope & pray I am wrong.....Liberals are the kill bullet to solid government.

#1 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see this phrase used a lot but I find it is grounded in ignorance. In other words it is not possible to have a relationship with Christ without doctrine. We cannot reasonably be placing more importance on one over the other. And that goes both ways.

Now my wording was not intended to be offensive.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that.

They tell me that their doctrine is the Bible....but who's interpretation? Right now, I see lots of these folks gravitating to Charismatics.

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

If it was, they would not lean toward charisma. And let me correct you on one thing, please. Arminians -- at least, from the teachings of Jacob Arminus -- do not believe you can lose your salvation. They simply accept the second part of the double intent of the atonement of Christ as the primary intent.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These people believe they can loose their salvation. I was told that whether or not a Christian will persevere to the very end is open to question, because perseverence ultimately depends on the Christian rather than on Christ. Now from my own personnal perspective, that stance downplays predestination (so to allow human beings to determine their own spiritual destiny).

Now isnt the doctrine of "Defectible Grace"-IE those who believe in Christ & are truly saved can nevertheless can fully & finally loose their salvation by falling away from the faith. Therefore Eternal Life is NOT secure.....rather it depends on the faithfulness to Christ until death. Isn't that one of the 5 principles of the Arminian Remonstrance?