1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sabbath

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by PraiseHim, Jul 29, 2003.

1. PraiseHim

PraiseHim New Member

HI. I'm pretty new here. I joined a long time ago but haven't really posted much.

Anyway, I'm an Independant fundi baptist and wanted to know why we don't hold the sabbath. I was asked the question and have no clue as to how to answer it. Could you all help me out?

Thank You.

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Colossians 2:16
    Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Romans 14:5
    One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

the 10 commandments were given to israel, not the church (though 9 of them are repeated for us in the NT).

3. bjonson

bjonson New Member

Good answer. Also, please read Hebrews 4, carefully, and notice that Christ fulfilled the Sabbath and we are now in Him.

Brian

4. yod

yod Member

Actually the answer to your question is;

Because Constantine (Emperor of Rome who started the Catholic church) made anything remotely jewish to be illegal at the councils of Nicea and Laodecia circa 325 AD. They called all the bishops of the world together to codify christianity but excluded the jewish bishops.

The practise of meeting on the first day of the week (usually a Saturday night) began in the early church at the end of the first century because they were mostly jews who were resting on the Sabbath. When the sun went down they would travel for fellowship with the gentiles who had come to faith in their Messiah. So gentile christians have historically always met on Saturday night or Sunday.

There is no condemnation for whatever day you choose to have fellowship with the saints...EVERY day is the Lord's!

But this is the historical reason why the church goes on Sunday

:::ducks::::

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No need to duck, yod, as many of the early church and NT practices were codified under the era of Constantine. Not all good, not all bad.

The NT describes the church meeting on the "first day of the week", clearly distinct from the sabbath day.

Even John in the last book gives it a name we still use today: "The Lord's Day".

So by the time 250 years had passed, it was quite normative to meet NOT on the sabbath but on the first day/Lord's day.

6. yod

yod Member

True Casperman!

As far as I can tell gentile christians NEVER met on the Sabbath unless they were gerim (God fearers) who had already been attending synagogues when they were saved.

The point I was trying to make was that meeting on the Sabbath was made illegal by Constantine. That is entirely different than saying one is "preferred" over another.

Yes, the Nicean Creed was a good thing to counter Aryianism and give us a clear statement on the Trinity.

I'm not convinced that it can be proven John was calling Sunday "the Lord's Day" but it's not worth an arguement

This act of the early church Council is how jewish people were completely removed from the church. It began the Dark Ages and was the worst 1,300 years in church history IMO.

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Good info yod and Dr. Bob (as usual) on an interesting subject.