1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sabotaging the NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Reformed, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am asking this question for a friend back in Jersey who is a New York Jet fan. I do not watch the NFL anymore for many reasons, but his question was a good one, so I thought I would throw it out for your answers. The Jets have the worst record in the NFL and may very well go 0-16 this year. If so, they will have the #1 pick in the draft. My friend thinks they should pick a QB out of Clemson (not sure if that is the school) named Trevor Lawrence. My friend is concerned because he thinks Lawrence will not want to play for a dysfunctional organization like the Jets. So, here is his question. What could happen if Lawrence were to make a statement saying that he will refuse to play for the Jets if drafted by them? Are there any penalties he could face from the NFL and/or the NCAA? I remember Eli Manning did not want to play for the San Diego Chargers after they picked him #1, but he did not say anything about that during his senior year at Mississippi. The Manning family, lead by father Archie, quietly told the Chargers that Eli would sit out the year if he was not traded. The Chargers capitulated. Lawrence does not have that card to play. The question is whether he can influence the Jets decision by either directly saying or leaking the knowledge that he will refuse to play for the Jets, and if he does what can/will happen to him?

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He should just wait it out at this point. There are 9 other teams with only 1 win. There may lots of competition for the worst record.

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clemson has been in every CFP championship series and won w national championships in last few years. You don't know their name?

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And this is not the greatest year to determine the strength of teams -
    When 2 or 3 players on a team get the Chinesee virus - that can have a major inmpact on the team.
    In addition, playing without 50,000 loud fans can affect the team.

As far as not wanting to play for the Jets, - I would say - if he demands to get traded - that would
    decrease his next 3 years pay to be cut in half. Dont know if teams can say that - but I would love

5. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of 1983, when John Elway was drafted by the Baltimore Colts. He made it publicly known he would not play for the Colts. He wanted to play for the Denver Broncos. The Colts traded him to the Broncos.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well Elway turned out to be a HOF player. But wished I could say something about him as the GM no offense. Jets now only team winless for 2020.

7. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must say: I certainly wouldn't want to play for the New York Jets!

8. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irrelevant.

Jags up

Prob T Lawrence to Jaxonville

9. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Jets have some players esp on defense

They also have all kinds of draft caital something like 4-5 1st round draft picks in next 2 drafts. You are right though horribly run franchise

Maye at safety, Davis at safety, M Becton OLT,

They need offensive weapons and oline

10. OnlyaSinner

OnlyaSinner Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perfect disfunctional Jets - be terrible but win some games to forfeit their pole position in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better though then playing for my Lions!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question, does the Nfl have their version of the larry Bird rule, as Boston drafted him as a junior, and had until the next year draft to actually sign him, or else would go back into the draft!