1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saddam not responsible for 9/11?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by James_Newman, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Will this work for a direct quote?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/03/20030319-1.html

To justify the war, Bush informed Congress on March 19, 2003 that acting against Iraq was consistent with “continuing to take the necessary actions against international terrorists and terrorist organizations, including those nations, organizations, or persons who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001.”

Jamie

2. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

It is obvious that the Bush administration may have been guilty of saying what they meant on a few occassions and in doing so failed at attaining their objective of steering the public into coming to conclusions that this adminsitration was vaguely alluding to .

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, Jamie. No cigar.

Nowhere in the text of your quote did he assert that Iraq had anything to do with 911.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are admitting that the President never said Iraq had anything to do with 911, except in your head.

I guess you decided not to be a fool on this particular subject any longer. Congratulations.

#24 carpro, Sep 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2006
  5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I am not sure how much clearer the presumption is.. If you want to split-hairs, then you're right, he didn't say it directly, however in reading the quote you can determine what he meant.

Let's break apart the quote...

To justify the war,

He is talking about the war in Iraq....

Bush informed Congress on March 19, 2003 that acting against Iraq was consistent with

It is Bush speaking....

“continuing to take the necessary actions against international terrorists and terrorist organizations, including those nations, organizations, or persons who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001.”

And He is talking about talking action against the people that planned, authorized, commited, or aided the attacks that occured on 9-11....

If you really believe what you're saying, then I think you split-hairs way too much.

In reading the quote you can clearly presume President Bush was saying Iraq had something to do with the act of 9-11 and because of it we're going to war.

Spliting-Hairs.. It that how we determine what a man means when he says something?

Jamie

Jamie

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we determine what he says by listening to what he actually says instead of what we "think" he "might have" meant or what we want to believe he meant.

There is no hair splitting. There is no presumption.

He either said it or he didn't.

Provide the quote if you believe he said it.

Never mind. You can't and I know it. So do you.

By continuing to insist he said something you know he didn't, you are perpetuating a myth.

Perhaps you should rephrase your assertion from fact to opinion, which is what it really is.

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I don't think that arguing what "is" is, will help your case any. The American people heard it all. And they remember it. Too bad for Bush.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Someone needs to show me a pre-war claim by President Bush that Saddam Hussein had something to do with the 9/11 attacks and Al Qaeda.

It was my remembrance that we knew they were not directly connected. But, they funded each other and they both trained and supported terrorists.

Which by the way, Col. Khaddafi has 'officially' quit doing that . . . . does anyone know why?

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-09-06-poll-iraq_x.htm

http://www.boston.com/news/world/articles/2003/09/16/cheney_link_of_iraq_911_challenged/

The message that the administration sent to the people was that Al Qaeda was recieving assistance from Iraq in order to deploy 'Weapons of Mass Destruction' in terrorist attacks.

Did the Bush administration come right out and say Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11? Of course not. All they did was plant the suggestion (over and over again) untill everybody believed it. This allows them to later pretend like they never even suggested it (without having to explain exactly what they were trying to suggest.)

10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I've just read a couple of responses on this last page, but one thing I think it would do all of us some good to be reminded of is that God places leaders and God takes leaders out. And therefore to be critical of our leaders is to be critical of God as He is the one that directly placed that person in authority.

Let us remember to keep our sights set above as our day to rule and reign is not yet come, as our King has not yet ascended His throne, but one day soon He will do just that and I pray that we all will be found worthy of participating in that coming kingdom.

May God have His way in our hearts, minds and actions, and may His plan be continued to be carried out for the US whatever that plan holds!

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Show me the "suggestion" alluded to in USA Today.

Your source article and quotes from Cheney in the article do not back up your claim.

Cheney at no time claimed that Iraq had anything at all to do with 911.

That is your opinion only and is not backed up by the facts.

12. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Well it is my opinion, and the opinion of USA Today, and the opinion of 60% or so of Americans at the time the poll was taken. But maybe you can explain what they were suggesting?

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

James

I pray that if it is the opinion of any man that you should go to hell, that the Father will ignore the opinion and look to the Blood of Christ upon your sin . . .

Truth is what we should encourage and not opinion.

IMHO.

#33 El_Guero, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2006
  14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

For the record, it is fact, and not just my opinion, that terrorists were (& are) to blame for the attack upon New York, NY, USA.

I pray that that is your true opinion and the opinion of 99% of Americans. There will always be some that are mentally ill.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's nothing to explain.

It has more to do with the fact that people believe what they want to believe.

Anyone that has been paying attention knows no one in the Administration has ever said Iraq had anything to do with 911.

You also know it.

So why do you persist in stating it as fact when you know it's not true?

16. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

No, not quite. They (neocons) worked very hard to give the impression that the two were linked without actually making the claim and relied on the power of suggestion and the gullibility of Americans that were already primed with previous neocon emphasis or programing for lack of a better term.

In effect what they were doing was following the Clean Break script by "anticipating, managing and constraining our reactions". Now, some would call it spin others would call it propaganda but what it boils down to in the end is manipulation. One thing about the crazies...they like to tell us what they are going to do before they do it in round about ways.

Like you said we need to pay very close attention to what these guys actually say/said and the manner in which they say/said it. I would expand that to what they have written also to try to put everything in the proper context.

We might also want to take a close look at how the mass media helps to manipulate us too. Say for instance flashing a picture of Saddam for a few frames then a few frames later flashing a picture of the WTC buildings crashing to the ground. Even though they are not openly proclaiming Saddam and 911 were linked the implication is there and visuals are very powerful when viewed over and over. Fox and CNN are especially good at these types of mind bending antics. Not quite "subliminable" as G.W. would say but still a powerful form of mental manipulation.

#36 poncho, Sep 11, 2006
  17. North Carolina Tentmaker

Let me get this straight Poncho, are you saying that although no one in the Bush administration ever claimed that there was a link between Saddam and the 911 attacks that the “neocons” used the mass media (because we all know that the network news agencies are just lapdogs of the Bush administration) to send a “subliminal” message and brainwash the American people into thinking there was a link?

Now there is a conspiracy theory for you (of course it could be that there never were a twin towers it was all an optical illusion filmed in the same studio as the lunar landings, Elvis’ funeral, and the JFK assassination).

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Like to throw garbage in the groceries much or what? I got an idea lets just keep building strawmen and knocking them down to "prove our point", that's a sure fire way to get at the truth. :rolleyes:

Who owns the media? Did the neocons write policy papers saying Saddam was "just the immidiate justifcation for a wider role in middle eastern affairs"? (yes) Did they write a paper that says in so many words that they were going to "anticipate, manage and constrain our reactions"? (yes)

Do you think they meant what they wrote or were they just kidding around?

Sheesh, don't bother to do any background research or anything before coming up with such ridiculous statements okay? :D

#38 poncho, Sep 11, 2006
  19. North Carolina Tentmaker

Sorry, I must have missed that. I think I will tape Katie tonight and then listen to it backwards to see if I can break the code of subliminal messages.

20. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I think there is. There was enough information put out by Bush and Cheney to make people believe there was a connection.

I was wrong, and you were right. In the quick research I did, I found no direct quote that I know of, but the implications were there.

Agreed. It's is my opinion that Bush and Cheney led everyone to believe that Iraq had something to do with 911

Jamie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.