1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saddleback Debate

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Joshua2415, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Joshua2415

Joshua2415 New Member

I'm curious to the thoughts of board members on Obama and McCain at the Saddleback Church forum led by Rick Warren. Here are my thoughts, briefly.

Obama: was very idealistic, was trying very hard to reach to evangelical voters despite his positions on abortion and other social issues, and had a lot of good ideas for change in our role on the world stage, but seemed to have his head in the clouds.

McCain: very direct, clear answers on most everything, but told too many stories, dodged the question about rich vs. middle class and tried to portray himself as Reagan's second coming.

Rick Warren was a very neutral moderator and picked some very good questions. I learned a lot about the candidates tonight and must say my opinions changed pretty drastically. How did this debate impact your thoughts?

(I didn't see this topic yet so I started a new thread)

2. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Didnt catch it, but I trust Warren even less than I trust Mccain and Obama.

3. queenbee

queenbee Member

I caught a tiny portion of it. RW interviewing Obama. Pretty much thought Obama was blowing smoke.

4. Joshua2415

Joshua2415 New Member

I'm curious as to why. I didn't care for his book too much, but I've never seen evidence that he's untrustworthy (though I don't know his theology too well). Is it because of the size of the church and the money he has?

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

All I could think of was why and for what purpose was Rick Warren doing this debate. I not for one minute think it was for the citizens of this country, but for Rick Warren himself. Who else in the Religious field has had this kind of power to bring the final two canidates to a debate before them. NONE that I know of. Don't you know this made Rick Warren bigger than life, certainly bigger than the two canidates.
    I did not care for it at all, and gave me an uneasy feeling.

BBob,

#5 Brother Bob, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
  6. Goldie

Goldie New Member

Firstly, I see Rick Warren and his church as being totally deceived. Secondly when the harlot church unites with politics, I see the harlot church of Revelation 17? riding the beast.

The Bible dictates a clear doctrine of separation for Christians and the church from the world and it's systems.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually McCain was very clear and direct about thsi question. He doesn't weigh who is rich in the way libs do because he isnt looking for a reason to redistribute wealth. He wants no part of it. Can't get any clearer than that.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am in no way a RW fan as many know. But I just did not have this suspicion about him. I saw it as very sincere.

And just to speak to anothers comment there is no separation of church and state found either in scripture nor in the constitution.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Pretty harsh. I personally have spoken with two of the staff at this church, and "totally deceived" doesn't come to mind at all.

Should Warren campaign for one, you have a uniting taking place.

That's not happening here.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This didn't add to Warren's stature. This happened because of it. I TIVOed it and will go back and watch it. I did see an after-interview where Obama got tense with CBN's David Brody.

Also, as I understand, this church does these "forums" regularly. They just happened to be able to get the two major party pres candidates for this one.

Re:RW. I eat the meat and spit out the bones. He's neither Messiah nor Satan. I'm one of 6 people on this board who has this opinion :laugh:

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I disagree. I believe RW's intent was to quit with the softball lobbing questions the liberal media gives the candidates and get the the crux of their beliefs. As I thought, Obama was all talk about how this great change will take place...without ever saying HOW it is going to take place. The man is clueless, and has no business running for POTUS. If being a good public speaker was the main requirement for President, any good public speaker should run. This country has grown lazy, and will believe anything without verifying information for themselves. Rick Warren's debate helped with just this, IMO.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...then I'm sure you can supply the Scripture for it :) My Bible tells me to be in the world, but not OF it (sin).

It's amazing the efforts believers will go through to bring down a fellow believer. I'm not talking about his theology...but the man himself. Unreal...

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

so...you trust two unbelievers more than a believer. That's telling :rolleyes:

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Joshua2415

Joshua2415 New Member

Rick Warren?

I didn't expect the debate to turn against Rick Warren so much...I was discussing this at church this morning and it appears he has a lot of money, he also donates a large portion of it to his church or charity. I don't think Rick is "whoring" out his church by offering these forums. If he ran for office using his church's money in the campaign, that might be a more fitting description. However, I believe the man is led by God and has the nation's best interests under God in his mind and heart when he put this together.

Anyway, no one seems to have commented about McCain, other than the one who made a good point about his rich/middle class answer. Any thoughts on him?

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your thoughts abour RW are accurate...he "reverse" tithes (giving back 90% and keeping 10%) from the proceeds from his books (don't hear of other authors who do this like Piper, Macarthur, etc.) and has repaid Saddleback Church his salary from when he first came to the church. The accusations against him are amazing.

About McCain, I will say he is the less of 2 evils. He's too liberal for my liking, but there is a snowball's chance in hell I will vote for Obama.

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blowing Smoke???

Yeah, he was pretty much "blowing smoke", but, he must have been inhaling it too.:laugh:

Pastor Paul:type:

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I must have missed that verse but remember, the people that make up the Church are still citizens of the country in which they live. Render unto Caesar what is Caesars and render unto God what is God. I encourage God's people to be very active in the politics of this world or how can we say a word when prayer is removed from the classroom or the bible from the courtroom?

19. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

McCain was very direct. Gave yes or no answers when appropriate. Straight talk like he is known for. Yes, he told a lot of stories -- but most were appropriate & gave us better insight into he is.

Obama was ... well Obama. At times, he sounded good, but he didn't really say very much. Other times, he simply danced around issues -- like abortion. His example of reaching across the aisle was working with McCain on campaign finance reform. Funny, I never ever heard Obama's name mentioned in this legislation.

Personally, I thought Warren handled this very well. I'm still amazed at how this man is demonized by other Christians.

20. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

A Candidate That Stands For Something!

:thumbsup: I say...RW dropped the ball just as badly as the mainstream media that he seems to love courting as much as the politicians. He did the same thing the media is doing.....failure to include ALL the legitimate choices of candidates. If he wanted to have a FAIR and Balanced Forum(to coin Fox News oft quoted slogan) he would have included Dr.Chuck Baldwin,Bob Barr,and other of the 3rd party candidates as well as Ron Paul (since he still has a significant presence even though out of the race) in his forum. Ibet if he had CNN and the other mainstream media big guns wouldn''t have given him the TIME OF DAY. They have an agenda. RW was willing to go along with it and ONLY include the big TWO. If you want a candidate that stands for the right things then vote :Baldwin 08 - Let the TRUTH be HEARD! A true Christian Conservative. (Wonder why a "preacher" such as RW wouldn't include him on the forum?)

:tonofbricks: :praying: Greg Perry Sr.