1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saddleback/Purpose Driven

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Another point: PDL is not an evangelistic book. He did not write it for non-believers or to give the gospel. It's written for those already saved and has more to do with dealing with problems in the church, worship, walking with Christ, etc.

As I said, there are parts I disagree with. I especially do not like his widespread quoting of The Message, a paraphrase that I dislike. However, there are good parts. It may be basic but that's probably what the church needs.

2. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Of course, "traditional" church music (which is actually only one to four centuries old in the vast majority of cases) sounded like the popular contemporary music of its own time. For instance, the tune Luther used for "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" could have been a 16th-century tavern drinking song or a sample of local folk music.

3. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Bugman, you said you had only read up to day 13. Don't base your view of PDL on just that. I did not like the first several chapters that much either, and had issues with some of the way he phrased things.

However, the book gets much better in later chapters. I think his chapter on worship is great. It's like someone else said -- it's meat and bones but some of the meat is good. Read more before you decide. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]The part about one's SHAPE is eye-opening, possibly life-changing, and well worth the purchase price of the entire book!

4. superdave

superdave New Member

We use the SHAPE model in our church, and really his Baseball diamond maturity path to structure the classes that new members take in order to be involved in the various ministries of the church.
    Four classes, a commitment to membership, a commitment to maturity, a commitment to ministry, and a commitment to missions.

The SHAPE model comes in during the ministry class. IT is designed to help people determine where they can serve most effectively

The PDC concept if supported by a good sound Word Centered Philosophy of Ministry can be very effective and efficient.

My pastor likes to call TPDC the best book on church growth, and the worst book on church growth, but I have actually read one that was worse, so I'm not so sure about that part.

I might know the gentlemen Dr. Bob is talking about, so I can't be too negative even if I wanted to ;)

[ June 29, 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: superdave ]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you think I feel, SuperDave? He called me from Saddleback today and chatted about his Sunday there.

Visited a "junior church" service to see what was being taught there and was amazed to see 240+ third graders (one of 6 junior churches) learning God's Word.

Said he should PAY them just to attend church! I said YOU'RE RIGHT - it's call tithes and offerings!!