1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Safe to burn U.S. flag near you?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by fromtheright, Feb 3, 2006.

?
  1. They had better not do in front of me; they risk their safety.

58.2%
  2. I would be angry but restrained.

25.5%
  3. I would be disgusted or saddened, and restrained.

10.9%
  4. It wouldn't matter to me.

5.5%
  5. I'd be joining the flag burners.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Enoch

Enoch New Member

What does this comment mean regarding this thread?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

What does this comment mean regarding this thread? </font>[/QUOTE]THis quote:

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

accidental multiple posts

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

accirdental multiple post

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

sorry - double post

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Why do you think that burning the flag can never be righteous protest? That is indeed disturbing, and almost sounds like flag worship.

Your definition of "hope" is quite subjective. You appear to have less hope for free speech than you do for an inanimate piece of cloth which has no intrinsic value. Yes, what it represents does, of course.

7. Enoch

Enoch New Member

So do you consider them to be righteous scumbags? Protecting the American flag from desecration is not flag worship. If you draw the line there then you are more lost than I thought.

Please explain this comment?

8. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Still not finished with your tantrum I see… [​IMG] It gets old JohnV.

9. Enoch

Enoch New Member

What does this comment mean regarding this thread? </font>[/QUOTE]THis quote:
    </font>[/QUOTE]Still does not make sense. Please elaborate?
    Perhaps you do not understand my comment?

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It doesn't matter what I think of a person. If their protest is righteous, and in the protest, they burn a flag (whether it's the US, or any other flag), then they are excercising their free speech, regardless of whether I agree with their message or method.

Protecting free speech is paramount. If you don't see that, then you are more lost than you think.
    You don't know the difference between the flag, and what it represents??
    Whatever. More bullying, typical in your posts. God forbid you actually discuss the issue respectfully instead of making snide remarks of posters.

You still have not answered my question. I'll ask again: Why single out the American flag? If I wanted to burn the Iranian flag, would you likewise think flagburning should be illegal? Likely not. Yet you claim public safety as a reason for banning flag burning.

11. Enoch

Enoch New Member

JohnV

I guess you missed the fact that this thread is about the American flag. Focus JohnV… Start a thread about the Iranian flag if you feel it needs protection from desecration.

Why do you consider burning the American flag to be righteous? I do not consider this act to be free speech. It also is extremely hazardous.

Of course. Thus my reason for defending our flag. Yet, not sure what you mean by it since you feel it should be burned as free speech. Care to elaborate?

12. Enoch

Enoch New Member

For the benefit of C4K who misconstrued my comments entirely.

The first sentence
    is in reply to JohnV’s comment about my prayer life.

The second
    is in relation to the recent comments JohnV made in a separate thread where he considers Allah and God to be the same.

Thus C4K why your comment made little sense and was shocking.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Your implication was clear. You implied that JohnV worshipped Allah, something he never said or claimed.

14. Enoch

Enoch New Member

:eek:

He claims that Allah and God are the same. I believe that to be false. I do not worship the same God as Islam. Unless you believe them to be the same?

Guess you missed the sarcasm with the ;) .

Out of curiosity since you stand by your comment care to elaborate, since it has nothing to do with what I said.

15. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Just wanted to make clear that I did not mean if C4K believed Allah and God to be the same I would as well. [​IMG]

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's quite on topic. You cited public safety as a reason for banning flag burning. So unless you're referring to the burning of flags in general, your comment makes no sense. So, again, and to that point, I ask again:

Why single out the American flag for legal protection? If I wanted to burn any other nation's flag, a state flag, or the flag of a local municipality, would you likewise think flagburning should be illegal? Yes or no?

I do not consider it to be righteous. Look clearly at what I said. I was referring to righteous acts of free speech. If a person, in the course of righteous free speech, chooses to burn a flag, I see no reason to exempt that act from Amendment I's protection. Yes, I may disagree with that act, and think ill of a person who burns a flag in such a manner, but that does not make that person's act worthy if being exempt from Amendment I.

It is, whether you consider it such or not. The failure of any attempt to amend the Constitution to make flagburning illegal suggests that the majority of the public, or at least, the majority of lawmakers, agrees.

Again, that reason is insufficient to cite only the US flag.

If that is your reason for amending the constitution, then that demonstrates that you do not discern between the flag, and what it represents.
    The flag, and what the flag represents, is not synonymous. If a man can denounce with words what the flag stands for, and have that speech protected (which it is), then it stands to reason that a man can, via flag burning, denounce what the flag stands for, and have that speech protected.

Please give me one irrefutable reason why flag burning should be abolished with a constitutional amendment.

Again, as above, look clearly at what I said. I said that there is only one Almighy God, and that all who worship one sole deity woship God Almighty, but do not worship Him in Truth. Jews and Muslims, for example, worship God falsely. I do not worship God as they do, because I know the truth through Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit. Hence, it cannot be said that I worship God as a Muslim or Jew, or that I worship the God of the Muslims or Jews (or any other nonchristian faith, for that matter). I worship God of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, and worship Him alone. So kindly do not accuse me, either in seriousness or jest, of worshipping the God of Islam, or the God of Judaism, or any other deity.

17. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Highjacking the American flag thread with the Iranian flag…interesting. [​IMG]

If you really want to discuss it by all means start a thread. You could call it “Would Enoch extinguish JohnV for burning the Iranian flag?” [​IMG]

Once again I ask why you consider burning the American flag a righteous protest?

As the House did in June 2005. Since 1995 H.J. Res. 10 has cleared the House 6 times. I have faith and hope that the American flag will be protected. You can defend BURNING the American flag until your blue in the face, but I will never agree with you.

Stories about the Flag

As for your beliefs on allah and God being one in the same, you can spin it all you want but I consider it blasphemy as I stated earlier in such thread.

SUCH THREAD

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Why the arrogance? Why is it so difficult to answer a simple, and to the point question, that is relevant to the topic? You brought up the the notion that the country the flag repreents is irrelevant. So again, answer the question:

Why single out the American flag for legal protection? If I wanted to burn any other nation's flag, a state flag, or the flag of a local municipality, would you likewise think flagburning should be illegal? Yes or no?

If the it's a legitimate and righteous protest, then it is not made illegtimite or unrighteous simply by burning a flag in the course of that protest.

And has never left once.

You have failed to list one irrefutable reason why flag burning needs to be made exempt from Amendment I via a constitutional amendment.

Again, you have failed to list one irrefutable reason why flag burning needs to be made exempt from Amendment I via a constitutional amendment.
    Whatever. The only reason you call it "spin" is because it's the only way you can defend you false accusation of me. That doesn't make you right on that issue, and it certainly doesn't may you right on this issue.

I will ask again: Please give me one irrefutable reason why flag burning should be abolished with a constitutional amendment.

19. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Start a thread, I already gave you a title. :D

Defend BURNING the American flag all you want. You seem to take pleasure in flag burning rights. Why?

How unfortunate that you cannot think of one reason why our flag should be protected.

The only thing false JohnV is your belief that allah and God are one in the same.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

More arrogant bullying. :rolleyes:

I take no such pleasure. But free speech is free speech, whether I like it or not, whether I agree with it or not. Free speech should not be curtailed simply because I disagree with the speech.

I asked you for a reason. Apparantly, you can't think of any, and in an attempt to hide your lack of adequate answer, you dodge the issue by turning it to me.

No, I cannot think of one single reason for a constitutional amendment banning flag burning.
    Never said that.

Note how I continually answer your questions. Yet you refuse completely to answer ones posed to you. Let's try this again:

1 - Please give me one irrefutable reason why flag burning should be abolished with a constitutional amendment.

2 - Why single out the American flag for legal protection? If I wanted to burn any other nation's flag, a state flag, or the flag of a local municipality, would you likewise think flagburning should be illegal? Yes or no?