1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Salary Package

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by SaggyWoman, May 31, 2008.

?
  1. Cash / paycheck

26 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. Partial payment of insurance

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Full payment of insurance

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  4. Matching retirement

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  5. Retirement not matched

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  6. Professional expenses

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  7. Mileage reimbursement

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  8. Housing Allowance

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  9. Parsonage

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  10. Other

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What is in your pastor's salary package?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    paycheck, insurance, retirement (they want me to retire :laugh: ) and housing allowance

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

I get $50 a month for gas(oline). That is the whole of my package including salary :)

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

This reminds me of the OLD joke about the preacher who took his car to a mechanic and said, "When you total up the bill, remember that I am just a poor preacher."

To which the mechanic replied, "I know. I heard you last Sunday."

5. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

I get a paycheck once or twice per year, more if the church can afford it. I am allowed gas from the church account for church business and I have been provided a parsonage. I also get workman's comp insurance which is about $250 per year, but I think we are about to drop that.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Don't. If you get hurt at church or at a fellowship or something like that, your health insurance won't pay. A good pastor friend of mine was playing volleyball with some church members behind the church during a summer fellowship. He hurt his knee. His health insurance balked, saying he was on the job. Worker's comp had to pick up the tab for his surgery, rehab, etc. Do not drop the worker's comp. $250 a year is chump change.

7. PeterM

PeterM Member

Absolutely agreed... why take the risk? If something were to happen to you, worker's comp will not only help with the cost of recovery, but it will also help prevent a break in the peace of your fellowship.

8. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

150 a week and a parsonage.... However, they do allow me to have a second job.
    No other benefits.

9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in the day, I got $62.50 a week (had to spend about $35 a week for gas to get around the county) and a parsonage that was unfurnished, not air-conditioned, and not heated.

In the summer, the temperature in the house was often over 100 degrees. In the winter, I had to be careful about leaving water outside of the refrigerator because it would freeze at night. (For that matter, it was a real challenge to keep the water in the trap under the kitchen sink from freezing (a light bulb under the sink in the cabinet did the trick) and I couldn't forget to drain the toilet tank at night so I wouldn't freeze and break.) :eek:

The church members didn't want me to have a second job though. But about four times a year, they would give me a pounding and I would have about a hundred cans of beans, tuna in oil, hominy (who eats that stuff?), and beets to last me for a couple of months.