1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Salvation and God's Sovereignty

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks SG, I had no idea you think Unconditional Election is bogus.

Here is the quote folks:

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you think that the fact that we are chosen for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth (2 Thessalonians 2:13) prohibits belief in Unconditional Election?

And why would you think that 'from the beginning' is necessarily different to 'before the foundation of the world'?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the truth of this verse is so 'obvious,' would you please answer this question for me?

Did the men in Matthew 23:13 enter the kingdom of heaven or did they not?

There's no need for a long screed. It's either 'yes, they did,' or 'no, they didn't.'

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think unconditional election is what the bible proclaims. It is most certainly not bogus, so please do not twist my words to say what they do not. God's election was based solely upon Himself choosing us and not us choosing Him.

What shall we conclude then? Do we have any advantage? Not at all! For we have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. As it t is written: “There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless;
    there is no one who does good, not even one." “Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit.” “The poison of vipers is on their lips.” “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.” “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
    16 ruin and misery mark their ways, and the way of peace they do not know.” “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
    [Romans 3:9-18] As you can see by the way Paul writes this, the disposition of the unregenerate is they would never choose God, never seek after Him. If God had not chosen us Van, we would have never chosen Him.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SG claims we can be chosen through faith in the truth and still be chosen unconditionally! You have got to love them folks.

There is no one who seeks God all the time. There is no one who seeks God when they are sinning. But is there no one who seeks God at any time? See Matthew 23:13.

And Martin, how many times have I answered your question. Matthew 23:13 clearly says they were blocked, they did not enter. Will he ask it again? You bet. Obfuscation on display.

6. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not claim it, God stated it. Got a problem with it...take that up with God, not me. It is not my fault you routinely flunked Bible Basics 101.

There are no men who seek God, period. Moses didn't. Abram didn't. David didn't. Adam didn't. None of the Disciples were looking for Him when He appeared unto them. Again, you routinely flunked Bible Basics 101 and want to take your angst out on us.

The warped wheel just keeps rolling down the hill. Ka-thunk...ka-thunk...ka-thunk...kathunk...

Will anyone who truly seeks God die lost?

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SG, repeating mistaken views will not alter obvious scripture. All the OT saints sought God, including Abraham.

I keep reminding others of Bible Basics 101 such as the Bible means what it says. God's election for salvation is conditioned on faith in the truth. You can deny it till the cows come home, but 2 Thessalonians 2:13 is crystal.

People seek God all the time in scripture, such as the men in Matthew 23:13. The bible proclaims the unnamed doctrine is mistaken again and again.

God is sovereign, He causes or allows whatsoever comes to pass.

8. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I say, the nameless doctrine is defended with absurdity. Martin will have you swallow we are given faith before we are chosen. You have got to love them folks.

Then talk about ripping verses our of context, Martin cites Psalm 14:2-3, skipping 1, and 4-5. Those that sought God as a refuge do not seem to appear in Martin's version. Go figure.

Next, since the men of Matthew 23:13 did not complete their entry, they were never entering. Again this denies the very words of Christ.

Next we get an attempt to rewrite Matthew 23:13 such that it does not say the men were blocked, prevented from entering.

NASB - ...because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.

NKJV - ...For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.

Finally the absurdity of absurdities, the false claim I think men are stronger than God. If God's plan was as falsely claimed by the nameless doctrine, then because God desires all men to be saved, He would compel rather than beg or beseech. They deny verse after verse, now including God begs lost through us to be reconciled to God. You have got to love them folks.

#89 Van, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016