1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Salvation by the work of attaining God’s attention

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Oct 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unnecessary Gobbledegook.

You'll never lead anyone to Christ with that approach.

Ephesians 2: 8-9 doesn't need your help. It can stand alone.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. They are both something you DO! :)

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No indeed. We are given faith in order that we may be saved (e.g. Zechariah 12:10; Acts 16:14).

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let us return to reality and truth. We are saved by grace through faith. Thus our faith provides the access to the grace in which we stand.

Next Martin claims we are given faith when scripture says it is our faith that is credited as righteousness.

Next scripture says we are chosen for salvation through faith in the truth, thus no one could be chosen to be given faith, instead scripture says we are chosen for salvation on the basis of God crediting our faith as righteousness

Next Acts of the Apostles 16:14 is cited as indicating we are given faith. But she had faith in God, in fact she was a worshiper of God, and then we get the phrase "opened her heart." Naturally, the false theology folks say that means given faith, but all it means is the well chosen words of the gospel revealed the truth to her, and thus she embraced the gospel.

Finally, they point to an OT prophecy of the Holy Spirit being poured out which was fulfilled on the day of Pentecost. The verse has nothing to do with being given faith before a person is saved through faith. That fiction has no support in scripture.

#44 Van, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never lead anyone to Christ in the 5+ decades I’ve been alive. I have been privileged to see sinners converted while God has used me as a flawed human instrument to proclaim His word. Big difference.

The whole Bible stands alone, without need of human help. So, we do we bother discussing anything having to do with scripture?

And who do you know who shares the gospel with theological parlance? No one that I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 1
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have posted before a salvation by grace through faith is not a works based salvation, just read Romans 4:2-5.

Pay no attention to false theology, which ignores scripture and pours man-made ideas into ambiguity.

7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van,
    Did I not quote your own words accurately?

Are you prepared to acknowledge you were wrong in the view you presented by those words?

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My words say we are saved by grace through faith. Thus my words were right, and your charge is manufactured to change the subject from your false theology (saved by grace then given faith.)

1) You seem to deny God credits our faith as righteousness. Thus you deny Romans 4:4-5, and Romans 4:23-24.

2) You seem to deny a salvation on the bases of faith is not a works based salvation. Thus you deny Romans 4:2-5.

Bottom line your false charges will not hide your false theology.

9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Van your own words show the false that in some manner the unregenerate must FIRST having to work, make some effort, generate some action that is in some manner acceptable to God. THEN, having gotten God’s attention, IF God considers the work, effort, action meets some unknown standard will God take action.

Sadly, you attempt to condemn others as wrong, but I quoted your words. It is your own words that you have yet to recant.

10. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Yes.
    Why not? Is faith a work we have to do in order to qualify for God's grace? In that case grace is no longer grace.
    Yes.
    So you think Lydia was already a Christian when the Lord opened her heart? Do you know what a 'God-fearer' or God-worshipper' was and what those phrases meant in those times?

A short part of Zechariah 12:10 is quoted in John 19:37, which covers the day of crucifixion rather than Pentecost. The verse speaks of prevenient grace, which you appear to deny. No one looks upon the crucified Saviour and prays to God for salvation until he receives the Spirit of grace and supplication (Ephesians 2:1-10 etc., etc.).
    Prevenient grace is taught extensively throughout the Bible. It is BTW by no means an exclusively Calvinist doctrine.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe is also something you do.

Are you now also making a case for works based salvation?

#51 carpro, Oct 10, 2017
  12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not surprised. Nobody could understand what you were saying.

Pity.

#52 carpro, Oct 10, 2017
  13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Responding to God ( believe) as God requires in scripture is not a work. Salvation is a gift. Gifts must be received. Receiving requires reaching out and taking hold. In all of history it has never been understood that reaching out and taking hold of the gift is also part of the giving.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets see, Agedman says salvation by grace through faith is a works based salvation. Heard that before? Has he posted any scripture to support?

And not he ascribes this view to me, my own words, and denies salvation by grace through faith is biblical doctrine. That is false theology folks, down and dirty. Martin did point out faith comes FIRST, before salvation but Agedman seemingly has not grasped that post.

Pay no attention to Agedman who simply repreats falsehoods and ignores scripture, such as we are saved through faith.

15. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In order to, be saved, to inherit eternal life, to enter the kingdom of God, "Y O U," yourself, have to reach out and take hold of , "IT." then in reality would you not be saving yourself, rather than being saved by God?

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the one hand Martin says "Yes" to the truth faith provides our access to grace" yet in the same post says if faith is a work we have to do to qualify for God's grace, then grace is no longer grace. Total nonsense. Paul teaches (Romans 4:2-5) that a salvation through faith is of grace.

All these posters do is ignore scripture and write their own false doctrine.

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you receive a gift ( salvation) and y o u reach out to receive it are you also the giver?

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another false claim with no quote. Did I say she was a christian? Nope. Did I say she worshiped God? Yes.
    Here is what I actually said: Next Acts of the Apostles 16:14 is cited as indicating we are given faith. But she had faith in God, in fact she was a worshiper of God, and then we get the phrase "opened her heart." Naturally, the false theology folks say that means given faith, but all it means is the well chosen words of the gospel revealed the truth to her, and thus she embraced the gospel.

19. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ll gladly embrace your characterization of me. The moment I take credit for the fruit of my preaching is the moment I take the glory from God. I have been moved to tears witnessing the saving power of the gospel in spite of my limitations. Perhaps my preaching is unintelligible. Perhaps nobody can understand it. Perhaps it does take the ministry of the Holy Spirit to quicken the unregenerate heart in spite of my inability to communicate as well as you. I am grateful that you are a better communicator than I am. I say that with no hint of jealousy. I will gladly yield to my betters and trust that God, in His sovereignty, knows best. In the meantime I am thankful that He chooses to use clay pots that make the least sense from a human perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) Did Martin say Zachariah 12:10 is not a prophecy of the Spirit being poured out?

2) Did any of these verses mention "prevenient grace?"

3) Does Ephesians 2:1-10 mention the "Spirit of Grace" as a prerequisite of faith?

This is all they have, bogus claims, bogus charges, and bogus theology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.